• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#136 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 07:27 AM

Parts that I cannot afford :mecry: Im not familiar at all with tractors as this is my first :confuse: . But I have spoken to some people round here and the prices for some of these parts are prohibitive so I have made my peace with it and decided to keep hacking at it the best I can.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I mean, I really love these tractors, but every time something breaks and I need a part for my 850, it kicks me in the head and runs off with my wallet! I mean, it takes me a long time to find someone who's got the parts I need, then usually the only place to find the parts is from someone online, so I have to wait a week to get the part shipped to me, and on top of all that, every part for these things must be gold plated for the prices people want for the stuff. Some of the sellers on eBay are ridiculous as well for Bolens stuff as they will end up charging 3-4 times what the part costs just to ship it when you know the shipping doesn't cost that much! It is a shame, but now I see why so many people just end up scrapping their old, collectible tractors because it costs too much to fix them, keep them running, and/or to restore them. You'd think if you're into tractors, you wouldn't want to see them get junked and want to see people keep them running, but for some of the prices I see people charging for parts, it seems they just don't care and all they want to do is rip people off any way they can because they know the parts are hard to come by any more.

Edited by MailmAn, October 01, 2012 - 07:28 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

#137 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, I'm with you there. I mean, I really love these tractors, but every time something breaks and I need a part for my 850, it kicks me in the head and runs off with my wallet! I mean, it takes me a long time to find someone who's got the parts I need, then usually the only place to find the parts is from someone online, so I have to wait a week to get the part shipped to me, and on top of all that, every part for these things must be gold plated for the prices people want for the stuff. Some of the sellers on eBay are ridiculous as well for Bolens stuff as they will end up charging 3-4 times what the part costs just to ship it when you know the shipping doesn't cost that much! It is a shame, but now I see why so many people just end up scrapping their old, collectible tractors because it costs too much to fix them, keep them running, and/or to restore them. You'd think if you're into tractors, you wouldn't want to see them get junked and want to see people keep them running, but for some of the prices I see people charging for parts, it seems they just don't care and all they want to do is rip people off any way they can because they know the parts are hard to come by any more.

I agree prices have almost doubled in the last 3-4 years or so. I remember When I first officially began "collecting" about 10 years ago you could get hydraulic lifts for under $100.
Part of this has to do with the launch of online forums which has linked people together and I believe has contributed to the increasing number of people collecting tractors and selling parts. Its all about supply and demand, with the parts getting harder to find and more people now needing these parts prices will naturally rise.
  • hatedge and MailmAn have said thanks

#138 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 01:35 PM

Its the same in snowmobiles. I started running old snowmobiles whe I was a kid because I couldnt afford better ones and in the past 10 tears id say, people started collecting them on a large scale. Now its hard to get them but the parts are still cheap enough to keep the ones you got running. Either way ill still try and do my best to keep this Bolens alive but if it comes to having to pay more than with a newer machine I dont see the point. I dont have an old tractor because I want to flash and put my neighbours to shame with their chinese crap. I ride this tractor because I prefer old and sturdy machines to crappy new ones. DONT GET ME WRONG im not saying its the way everyone is round here but some people are not in the hobby to help each other out but to make a buck. And that is akin to cancer for the ones of us who truly care for their machines. Again, dont get me wrong, I do meet some decent folks who try and help out the best they can an I apreciate. But we all have to evaluate who is true and who is shark.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#139 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 01:42 PM

I also want to thank member WILBERJ for taking the time to call me all the way up here in Canada to offer some advice and offering me help in finding affordable parts to keep me tractor running. I badly need this machine to run all winter or I will have to scrap it and get a newer one because mine is needed to plow the driveway and with the babe on the way I cant accept to be snowed in.

That is also the reason im looking at this wheel horse. Im starting to doubt the possibility of keeping the bolens because of the price tag on the parts.

Edited by hatedge, October 02, 2012 - 01:45 PM.

• wilberj said thank you

#140 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 04:33 PM

That Wheel Horse looks real nice but the parts for them are getting real expensive too. In my area the GT14 is rare. They are not as heavy duty as the Bolens. Post a list of the parts with numbers and pictures (with a scale in the picture) for those of us who have parts tractors. I'll look at what I have.
I will also be going to a big swap meet this Saturday and another the Saturday after and can look around for you. The swap meets tend to have more reasonable parts and I can discuss problems with the other Bolens guys.
Finding a parts tractor will be your best bet for the future. Check with your local scrap yard and ask them to hold any big Bolens for you. Our local scrap yard is very reasonable on prices.
If you do purchase a second tractor it should be a large frame Bolens so that you can use the attachments and you can cannabilize parts as you need to.
When you need gaskets you can buy the gasket material in rolled up sheets and cut out what you need. Laying the gasket material over the face to match, tape it in place then tap it with a soft mallet to outline the face and bolt holes. Then take the material off the face and carefully cut out the gasket. Save left over pieces for smaller gaskets. Many seals are standard and can be obtained fronm a NAPA. Good Luck
I'll check back on Friday evening to see if you posted the list.

Edited by boyscout862, October 02, 2012 - 04:47 PM.

• hatedge said thank you

#141 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 04:46 PM

Still no-one to tip me on using regular hydro oil in my bolens instead of ATF?

I've been trying to find it, but I know that I've seen somewhere that Don & Pete Duff, who are THE hydro experts (one of them is the DESIGNER of the Eaton hydro) are now recommending the regular tractor hydro fluid for the Bolens. They specifically mentioned the TRACTOR SUPPLY fluid. Supposedly, there are now additives in the AFT that weren't there in the 70s.

Edited by OldBuzzard, October 02, 2012 - 04:47 PM.

• hatedge and MailmAn have said thanks

#142 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 05:47 PM

I've been trying to find it, but I know that I've seen somewhere that Don & Pete Duff, who are THE hydro experts (one of them is the DESIGNER of the Eaton hydro) are now recommending the regular tractor hydro fluid for the Bolens. They specifically mentioned the TRACTOR SUPPLY fluid. Supposedly, there are now additives in the AFT that weren't there in the 70s.

I have talked to the guy who built the first two Eaton 12's it was not Don or Pete.
  • Bolens 1000 and hatedge have said thanks

#143 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Either way its not a high speed tranny and im somewhat confident that regula hydro oil for heavy machinery should do the trick. I use to built amphibious excavators and I know that some hydro oils are specific to certain applications but in this case I think that regula stuff shouldnt be all that bad. Its not like im using TELUS or something corosive like it. Anyway ill be opening up the tranny soon and upon seeing the materials in there ill have a better idea as to what should or should not be used in there.

Just a heads up for you guys theres a recycled vegetable oil we use in hydros for amphibious excavator because ists biodegradable and it might be quite good for us. SHELL makes the stuff, Ill look into it and give you the news

Edited by hatedge, October 02, 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#144 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:39 PM

That Wheel Horse looks real nice but the parts for them are getting real expensive too. In my area the GT14 is rare. They are not as heavy duty as the Bolens. Post a list of the parts with numbers and pictures (with a scale in the picture) for those of us who have parts tractors. I'll look at what I have.
I will also be going to a big swap meet this Saturday and another the Saturday after and can look around for you. The swap meets tend to have more reasonable parts and I can discuss problems with the other Bolens guys.
Finding a parts tractor will be your best bet for the future. Check with your local scrap yard and ask them to hold any big Bolens for you. Our local scrap yard is very reasonable on prices.
If you do purchase a second tractor it should be a large frame Bolens so that you can use the attachments and you can cannabilize parts as you need to.
When you need gaskets you can buy the gasket material in rolled up sheets and cut out what you need. Laying the gasket material over the face to match, tape it in place then tap it with a soft mallet to outline the face and bolt holes. Then take the material off the face and carefully cut out the gasket. Save left over pieces for smaller gaskets. Many seals are standard and can be obtained fronm a NAPA. Good Luck
I'll check back on Friday evening to see if you posted the list.

Yeah the part tractor is on the wish list ;) but ive a young family and a babe on the way and tons of renovations to get done before I get to spend on something thats not imperatively needed right now :( Last year I had 12 snowmobiles in the yard and now its fall and winter's comming and ive only 3. I had to cut the spendings even in my sideline income!!!!And that is not gonna help us out this winter I know!

#145 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:00 PM

I've picked up parts tractors for free many times. You have to "hunt" for them. When I drive anywhere I keep an eye out for what is sitting in yards. You will be amazed how many wives are delighted that you will take away a dead tractor. The guys have already bought a new one and you're saving them the work of hauling it away. About 20% of these I get running the rest are parts for others.

There's a 1477 here for parts http://newlondon.cra...3228336528.html he'll probably take $250 which I think is high. This is just a example but look around.

You've got a lot invested in the 1886 and I hope that you can fix it and keep it going. Let me know if you want me to look for the needed parts. Good Luck to you.

Edited by boyscout862, October 02, 2012 - 08:45 PM.

• Newpaws493 and hatedge have said thanks

#146 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Well! Guess what? went out this morning thinking to drive the tractor in the barn to get the cab on it for the winter and take off the mower. (its already 0 degrees at night here) and the tractor wouldnt start. poured some gas in the carb and it starts right up but dies a second later. I let some air in the gas line between pump and carb and cranked the engine. The air bubble doesnt move so I guess the pump has died on me. Now I gotta hunt me a new gas pump. I also tried craking the engine with the gas line off and gas barely comes out the pump.

Edited by hatedge, October 05, 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#147 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'm sorry to hear about that, Hatedge! :( I hope you can find a good fuel pump soon to get it back running again. I don't know all that much about them myself, but do you have to replace the whole pump or can you get a rebuild kit for it and put a new diaphragm in it to same some money? You might be able to find material to make a new diaphragm for it at your local parts store.

Good luck with it. :itsok:
  • hatedge said thank you

#148 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:45 PM

There used to be rebuild kits for the fuel pumps. After you have fixed the fuel pump problem check the oil. Often when these pumps go gas will leak into the crankcase. The diluted oil can cause damage. Good Luck
  • hatedge said thank you

#149 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Well I might be lucky on this one. Ive heard that these pumps are still sold nowadays in small engine shops round me neck o the woods. Ill be on the phone tomorrow to find one

#150 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Well I might be lucky on this one. Ive heard that these pumps are still sold nowadays in small engine shops round me neck o the woods. Ill be on the phone tomorrow to find one

Yes, I Believe they still have the pumps available for these.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1886, large frame, bolens