#1 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hello to ye all.
I'm new on this forum. I came here to meet some people with experience and learn more about my new tractor. I have recently moved from the city to a country house and after using a push mower all summer last year I've decided a tractor was what I needed to take care of mowing and snow blowing. Found what I figured was a great deal, A working Bolens 1886 equiped with mower, snowblower, 3 point and a thing with 2 disks to plow or something like that. 2 sets of tire chains,a close cab for winter, rear wheel weights and a couple spare parts. Heres a pic of the machine on pick-up day and more will come in the next few days as I start working on it.Bolens a l\'achat.JPG bolens alachat.JPG
My plan is to fix it up a bit but not to make a museum piece with it. Just want to work with it around the house. As this is all new to me I have tons of questions:

1. Can someone tell me how to figure out what version of 1886 it is. it has a Eaton 12 trans but the PTO lever looks very different from the other 1886 ive seen on the net so far.
2. Is there parts for this in Canada? or will I have to order everything from the US?
3.I need to know how the PTO binder pulley engagement assembly works cos mine is always on!

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:17 PM

:wave: hatedge! Welcome to GTTalk! It sounds like you hit the mother lode with that purchhase!! I'm afraid that I can't help with the questions, but there are plenty of folks on here who can and will as soon as they see it! I just wanted to say hi. We're glad that you're here and it's definitely the right place for answers about Bolens tractors!
  • hatedge said thank you

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:29 PM

:welcometogttalk: Welcome hatedge!!! You picked a great site to join!! We have allot of Bolens people on here that can help you out! Alkso Congrats On your Bolens that really looks like a great machine!! And you are ahead of the game already!! Because you found one with all those attachments and a Cab!! Great Find :thumbs: :thumbs:
  • hatedge said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:45 PM

Looks good! Attachments are great to have and even if you can't use them, you can sell them. Welcome to the site! I cant help with your questions but I'm sure somebody will be here soon who can.
  • hatedge said thank you

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 10:37 PM

From the looks of the dash it appears to be a 1886-01. The PTO belts alwasy on could be because they installed the wrong belts or it needs to be adjusted which can be done turning the linkage out or in just behide the dash that is hooked to the lever. It will be hard to get to though. Also are the PTO belts on correct? As for parts not sure what canada side has we have alot of new and used parts for the bolens if you need them.

And welcome to the site and enjoy the new toy.

Edited by bhts, May 05, 2012 - 10:38 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and hatedge have said thanks

#6 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 11:37 PM

Welcome to GTT Hatedge, It looks like you have got a good start with your tractor and toys. Member Bhts is one of the sponsors on this site and can help you get some of the parts you need to get going if need be! Again welcome and nice tractor!!!
  • hatedge said thank you

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:12 AM

OK...it has the round PTO lever so that makes it a -01 or a -02. That lever pushes down to engage. The -03 and above had a flat lever that you pulled UP to engage.

Hard to tell from the pic, but if it has the push/pull throttle and choke it's a -01. If it has the up/down levers for the choke and throttle, it's a -02.
  • hatedge said thank you

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 01:14 AM

Its a 01 or a 02 look at the dash has it been cut?
  • hatedge said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 04:27 AM

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have some very nice attachments with you tractor. And folks are offering some help. You'll find that here. Good luck!
  • hatedge said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:02 AM

:welcome: to the GTTalk. Looks and sounds like a great package deal.

If you get the chance, also post a pic of the disc thing and we'll try to nail it down for you.
  • hatedge said thank you

#11 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:21 AM

OK...it has the round PTO lever so that makes it a -01 or a -02. That lever pushes down to engage. The -03 and above had a flat lever that you pulled UP to engage.

Hard to tell from the pic, but if it has the push/pull throttle and choke it's a -01. If it has the up/down levers for the choke and throttle, it's a -02.

It has the push/pull choke so it would be a -01? Nice, Thanks a lot that makes me happy. Now it will help me find that dashboard sticker :D

#12 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:22 AM

Its a 01 or a 02 look at the dash has it been cut?

I dont see any cut in the dash, What do you mean?

#13 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:07 AM

OK, 8 celsius this morning and im out by 6 o'clock. I couldnt help myself and took the mower apart to weld a chipped puley and realise the oil seal on the gear box is leaking. :( Still, I gave it a new coat of paint (green) and found out the belt on it was wayyy too short (127 in.) the binder pulley rubbed on the gearbox pulley! So I got a 130 in as per the parts manual. Too bad, its Sunday and all the shops are closed, no oil seal today. I took some pics for you folks.
Snowblower:
SUNP0010.JPG SUNP0004.JPG SUNP0005.JPG SUNP0006.JPG

Cab, something has to be done with all those wires!
SUNP0007 (2).JPG SUNP0008 (2).JPG SUNP0009.JPG

Missing brake disk
SUNP0011.JPG

This be my always on pto problem. when i pull the pto lever down it barely moves. I would love to get some help on this
SUNP0013.JPG

Guess its the -01 like olbuzzard said
SUNP0012.JPG
  • KennyP and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the pics! Awesome blower and cab! I'm sure some of the Bolens guys will be along to help shortly.
  • hatedge said thank you

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:41 AM

... Awesome blower and cab! ...

Not only that, but it's the TWO STAGE blower that everyone seems to want. That whole package is a heck of a score.

wilburj really get's the credit for identifying it...I just used the info from a post that he made on another forum.

wilburj, you really need to re-post that here as well, and have it put in the 'Pinned' section.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 06, 2012 - 08:43 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1886, large frame, bolens