caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 08:49 PM

I've been having a lot of luck lately finding good stuff to buy. Many thanks go out to Casey (wvbuzzmaster) for the lead on this one! I picked it up this morning just outside of Pittsburgh (5 miles from Kennywood Park for those of you who know the area). As you can see from the pics, it had a snow plow on it. I mainly wanted it for the snow plow, but I also need some parts for my youngest daughter's 704 that we picked up at PA Plow Day. As it turns out, the parts from this machine may not be of much use on that as I believe that it is a bit older and at a different stage in the metamorphosis in the round hoods. Alas, there was no hood with it, but it has 4 decent tires and the round fenders are in OK shape. The transaxle is suspect as the shifter has been out of it for a long while. There was a replacement engine (Tecumseh HM80) from something made by Sears. The seat and spring I believe came from yet another, maybe two, different Sears tractor(s). The seller also had a transaxle from a late 60's Sears that he thought was for this. He sold that to me also. (it's spoken for though so don't ask LOL). The serial number tag was legible after I cleaned the paint off of it, but the belt guard and the model number tag are missing, so any help with a model number would be greatly appreciated. I took most of the pictures of what I thought would be the "identifying" features such as the front axle and the left foot rest which look like the ones on my 551, the lift handle which is slightly different than anything else that I have, the gas tank which is similar to, but different than the one on the 854. It has the 3 speed transaxle and the tag says "Uni-Drive patent applied for" Which makes me think it's an early 60's model. I also wanted to know if the foot rest on the right (the "squarish one") is a factory part? So all of you Wheel Horse experts take a look at the pics and tell me what you think!

IMAG0335.jpg IMAG0336.jpg IMAG0341.jpg IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0344.jpg
  • MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Good looking mystery machine. Hope someone has a hint or two as to what it may be.
  • caseguy said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Steve, glad I could be of help to you. Excellent dealing.
  • caseguy said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:42 PM

If nothing else, at least you got a plow from the deal. I hope somebody knows what it is.
  • caseguy said thank you

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,116 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 10:26 PM

Nice looking haul steve. Does the motor run?
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 10:59 PM

Several things stand out on this "Frankenstein". First the frt axle steering assy. Pinned steering arms on the spindles and flat tie rod indicated 61-62. The lift sector looks like 62-63 and even some Lawn Rangers up until 68. The one piece fuel tank indicates 61-62. The rt foot rest indidcates 61 551. The other foot rest is not factory. The dash control panel is exclusive 61 701. The lack of a battery tray indicates it was an early recoil start tractor like a 502. I'm gonna go with a 1962 502 with a 1961 701 tank and dash and one 1961 551 foot rest. The other is a home made one! lots of good parts there Steve!

Edited by jusjeepn, May 05, 2012 - 11:08 PM.

• MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Wow, Steve. Looks like you bought a leftover parts machine. Whatever they had left over in 62, they nailed together to make a GT.

• caseguy said thank you

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:02 AM

Nice looking haul Steve. Does the motor run?

I haven't tried to start it yet. I actually pulled it off of the frame to try and get the semi-rare, hard to find, drive pulley off of it...that's NOT going as planned LOL!

Several things stand out on this "Frankenstein". First the frt axle steering assy. Pinned steering arms on the spindles and flat tie rod indicated 61-62. The lift sector looks like 62-63 and even some Lawn Rangers up until 68. The one piece fuel tank indicates 61-62. The rt foot rest indidcates 61 551. The other foot rest is not factory. The dash control panel is exclusive 61 701. The lack of a battery tray indicates it was an early recoil start tractor like a 502. I'm gonna go with a 1962 502 with a 1961 701 tank and dash and one 1961 551 foot rest. The other is a home made one! lots of good parts there Steve!

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom with us (me)! Wow! When I emailed the guy, I told him that it looked like a hodge-podge of different tractors all cobbled together. I had no idea that it was this bad LOL. My next question is, did it come from the factory like this, or is it more likely that someone made one from two and some other parts that they had lying around? The serial number on it says 59479. I know that Wheel Horse didn't keep track of them, but are they at least sequential from year to year?

#9 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Serial # 59480 is thought to be a 701 so your # 59479 likely is also as long as there is no A or 62 prefix to the number.

Garry
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thanks Garry! No prefix, letter or otherwise. That confirms what jusjeepin said (not that I doubted him).

#11 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Someone took some parts they had lying around and built this machine. That's another nice thing about Wheel Horse, most parts interchange throughout the different generations.
  • caseguy said thank you

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Steve, if I may ask, do you have plans for using the front wheels? I could use a pair for my 58-RJ, if you're interested in parting with them. Send me a PM when you have a chance.

Troy

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:26 PM

Sorry Troy. I have a 551 that has a set of 6X6 wheels on it that these are going to replace. I do have a set of narrow front wheels off of a Bolens, but I'm not sure that the hubs are the right length. I'll check them out and let you know what I find.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you