45 replies to this topic

#31 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:57 PM

That is outstanding service out of a battery. Even if it died tomorrow you should be happy.
What is the brand name on the battery?

Manufactured by: EPM Products, Baltimore, MD, 21226. No brand name.

Edited by TUDOR, May 07, 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#32 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 12:01 PM

Everybody has their ways of doing or storing their batteries, me personally I just go on what works for me, not saying everyone should follow my lead. It just works for me, is all and the ATV battery gives me way better service than the GT battery. My trickle charge method works for me and has kept my batteries in good condition for long periods of time. On another note, I sort of cheat in the Winter months, I use my batteries as a back up for my Radio station. I have an Amateur Radio Station and during the winter months we practice emergency communications. I've traded around picked up a generator and have batteries as a back up power source, I am trying to get solar power working too. I had looked into wind source but we do not get enough wind. I can use wind for a trickle charger but it will not provide enough wattage or power to run a Ham Radio alone, not now. I just don't have the equipment to use wind.

As for Cement, Like I say that's just an Old Tale about putting batteries on Cement. I've never actually tried to prove it one way or another, cement is something I do not have, my work shop has a wooden floor and as about as Close to cement as my battery gets is when I ride over to my moms house and park under her carport! LOL!

Guys, I used to work for a corporation that owned a battery company. Frankly I wouldn't believe anything they said unless they let me prove it on my own. Now, don't take that the wrong ways it's just my experiences with said corporation wasn't how shall I say this, ummm good. They made a lot of promises and never kept but one, lots and lots of profit that filled their pockets.

I do have a question, about Rubber? I worked in Electrical and Electronics for about 25 years and most insulators are made from Rubber or some type of Rubber or Plastic and other materials. How could a Rubber encased Battery leak down because it sit on cement or for that matter metal? Wouldn't it depend on the additives of the material? Or could it be because of small holes in the covering? If you had a rubber encased battery, sit it on metal and going on the logic it would drain down on cement wouldn't it also cause a short to occur? If it would allow current to travel down to cement then it would also allow it to travel down to the metal it was sitting on a GT.

Example being, we had Gloves for protection against High Voltages, those gloves had to pass tests often for pin holes. A hole the size of a pin head would or could possibly kill you so we've been told. Those gloves was made from a Rubber material and thick and hard to work with but still in perfect condition you was pretty safe.

Wow, I am perplexed with questions! LOL, mostly I am just rambling but hey it is something to think about or it is for me.

Anyways, Guys have a great day! Have a wonderful day playing with your GT's! I hope you all have good luck and boy let me say I have learned a lot here in the short time I have been here. You guys are gifted and blessed to have a place to be where folks can sit back and enjoy a fun hobby and share experiences. It's funny several years ago, most of the men folk around here sit back, watched NASCAR or some sports on tv, now you see more and more going out finding some old GT to either make a racer or just have a project for winter.

Me, I like to find them and make them work for me again! Gotta love those GT's!
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#33 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Couple ideas on this subject...

I have never had much luck with the "cheap" Walmart batteries. The higher grade ones seem to be ok, but have had quite a few bottom dollar ones that die in a couple years.

Motorcycle or ATV batteries are usually higher quality (also more $$$$) and are built for rugged service as well.

If you can find one that fits your case size, gel cells (again, big $$$ comparatively)usually have higher CCA values and last fairly well.

Best bet is using a "smart" trickle charger or battery maintainer. These will keep the battery topped up without boiling it or overcharging it. Until it met an "untimely end" (heavy object and gravity = bad...), I used a marine charger - it supported 3 different batteries at one time (even different types) and was a charger/maintainer/conditioner. Now I use a couple "Battery Tender"s and rotate them around the battery using devices every few weeks.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#34 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 05:38 AM

I have a Battery Tender that I use on my JD and old car every winter. You just leave it on the whole time. They make them with 1, 2, even up to 6 ports so you can maintain multiple batteries. Its great and has kept my JD battery good for 6 years now. I got mine at a motorcycle shop. It doesn't add anything noticable to the electric bill.

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 06:46 AM

I have a Battery Tender that I use on my JD and old car every winter. You just leave it on the whole time. They make them with 1, 2, even up to 6 ports so you can maintain multiple batteries. Its great and has kept my JD battery good for 6 years now. I got mine at a motorcycle shop. It doesn't add anything noticable to the electric bill.

Got a brand name for that one? Sounds like it might be a good investment!

#36 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 08:34 AM

How could a Rubber encased Battery leak down because it sit on cement or for that matter metal?

I'm not sure that the rubber cases made any difference in the discharge rate or not. It was standard thinking at the time and I can't back it up personally. Batteries have always sat on metal in automobiles until recently and I don't remember it making any difference. I do believe that keeping the top of the battery clean and dry is more important than what it is setting on. Also, keeping a battery active is very beneficial. An idle battery is a dying battery. Extreme heat and cold are also hard on them.

Another question What ever happened to the batteries that had a reserve so if it went dead you could switch something on the battery and you had some more cranking time. Sounded kind of like a sales gimmick.

#37 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Actually the brand name is Battery Tender. Check out a motorcycle shop. I use it on my tractor and cars. The reason people say not to set batteries on concrete is due to the temperature. Concrete tends to soak batteries with cold.

Never heard of a reserve thing on a battery. I would think if a battery is going bad not being used then that reserve would go with it. I had a battery last 11 years in my truck. The more you use them whether charging or discharging the longer they last. Just an excuse to use your GT more!
  • KennyP said thank you

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:16 AM

I remember those batteries, had a switch that activated a second section. They were bigger in size and price, and smaller in capacity. Don't remember them being around very long either.

#39 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 11:21 AM

I think they were Sears brand

#40 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 03:13 PM

I think your right. Sears or Interstate. Kind of seemed like a joke to me but I guess if they saved someones backside what the heck.

#41 Gary from Muleshoe OFFLINE  

Gary from Muleshoe

• Member No: 6921
  • 34 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:55 PM

Believe it or not I have had the best luck with Wal Mart batteries. I have one that I have had for four years now. But I have to admit that is the only one that has. I have four tractors and I usually have to replace at least two every spring.

Edited by Gary from Muleshoe, May 27, 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#42 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:19 PM

I have been told that there are only 3 companies that make batteries, they are sold under different names by many different companies.

#43 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:33 PM

I use almost all Walmart batteries. I have one that's 6yrs old & still fine. It's an auto battery, but I still get 4 to 5 yrs out of many of the GT batteries.

#44 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:54 PM

but I still get 4 to 5 yrs out of many of the GT batteries.

Mine must be 4 or 5 years old when I buy them. Last one lasted a 1 year. Drat!

#45 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Mine must be 4 or 5 years old when I buy them. Last one lasted a 1 year. Drat!

Actually, they could be! Check the date that is melted into the case.