Mf 16 Rehab

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RobsMF16 OFFLINE  

RobsMF16
  • Member No: 9401
  • 5 Thanks
  • 11 posts
  • Location: A spot in West Texas. So small even the one traffic light has been removed.

Posted May 05, 2012 - 03:50 PM

The plan... Make the tractor mechanically sound to be my work horse tractor.

- Replace rear axle seal (Right side)
- Replaced Hyd. Filter and fluid
- Fix leaking fuel bowl
- Change oil
- Change air filter / spark plug / etc.
- Lube everything...
- Rebuild the mower deck
- Replace seat

The motor was replaced in 1992... runs great.

I wish I had the time to restore it. Sometime in its past, it was spray bombed (Red and Gray). It's pealing off, but it will have to do.

#2 RobsMF16 OFFLINE  

RobsMF16
  • 5 Thanks
  • 11 posts
  • Location: A spot in West Texas. So small even the one traffic light has been removed.

Posted May 05, 2012 - 04:04 PM

The seal replacement and fluid / Filter change are complete.

It only took about 6 hours to get the axle hub off.

I started with a puller. I got to the point I couldn't put any more force on it... nothing.

I heat... a lot of heat. I tried PB Blaster. I tried a steel plate and several C clamps.

Finally, I used part of the puller with some 8 inch bolts through the lug holes on the hub... I useded my 10 ton porta-power to apply force. I then taped on the edge of the hub for several minutes. I gave up through the hammer down and pop... it came loose. :mad2:

There was a jagged edge formed by the factory paint on the axle shaft... I assume that after 37 years it wore through the seal.

I cleaned up the axle shaft with emery cloth.

Pulling the seal was easy... punched through it with a screwdriver then used a seal puller to get it out. The bearing looked great.

I installed the new seal... and reinstalled the axle hub after a thick coat of anti -sieze compound.

I replaced the filter, I poured some fluid throught he axle to flush it out (forgot to put the plug back in :blush2: ).

I was planning to replace the seal on the other side for good measure, but after replacing the first one... forget it.

Seal: NAPA 11372
Filter: NAPA 1410

Edited by RobsMF16, May 05, 2012 - 06:21 PM.

• broken2, MH81, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Getting those hubs off is something that I dread. They almost always are a misery to remove. Thanks for letting us know what worked in the end.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Well done. You got it done. It's one of those jobs, that once you bore in to it, you
just can't stop, untill the mission is accomplished. I've wrestled with afew of those
hubs myself. HEAT, is the only answer. Lots of heat.

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Oh yeah, have you got any pics? of the tractor?

#6 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:09 AM

I hate to mention it now, but.............you don't have to pull the hubs to change the seal. Unbolt the axle trumpet and pull the axle and trumpet out. On the inside of the trumpet is a snap ring on the axle. Remove that and the axle slides out of the trumpet.

The kicker is, you may have to unbolt the rear end from the frame and lift the frame enough to get the trumpet out. Time for replacing both seals......about 2 hours, and just as many cans of rehydration fluid.

There is nothing holding the axle inside the rear end case.

Page 96, disassembly instructions 4. and 5.

http://www.smallengi...Information.pdf

Edited by TUDOR, May 06, 2012 - 08:54 AM.

• olcowhand and IamSherwood have said thanks

#7 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Mf 16 Rehab

And so the saga began......

Congrats on the work. I pulled many hubs on old cars and NONE were as bad as the Massey hub. I was being careful with the force for fear of brakeing the hub and kept tapping and finally it came off. There isn't much taper on the axle compared to old cars.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 09:41 AM

Good manual Bob...thanks!

#9 RobsMF16 OFFLINE  

RobsMF16
  • 5 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the info on the axle... if I ever do the other side, I'll give it a try. That's normal for me though, if there is a hard way, I'll find it.

I went to the farm today (Land my family farmed from the 20's through the 60's... found some old plows and sweeps I may make a few implements out of.

I've got the bug... i've spotted four older garden tractors around town... One that looks really old. I remember that tractor sitting in the same spot when I was a kid.