6 replies to this topic

#1 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Ive been working on a trade with casey (wvbuzzmaster) on a 10 inch moldboard plow, which while I would like to have one, moldboard plows dont really leave the garden in a condition that it can be planted IMO. So what about a chisel plow? I found this: http://www.kunzeng.c...del543specs.htm one online, and I bet my MF10, weighted properly, could pull this no problem and leave the garden in such a condition it could be planted. I dont think it would be that hard to make either If anything it would give me something else to drag around in the dirt lol. What do you guys think?

#2 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:28 PM

Heres a link to some videos of this thing in action, looks like it does a real nice job.
http://www.kunzeng.com/video.htm

the plowing videos are on the far right

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:36 PM

I don't think you could plant following this tool on a single pass, but maybe after multiple passes, it would do ok. But following this with a gang disc would do great I'm sure.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Likely 3 or 4 passes...it's not that different than the machines I used to summer fallow with. I'd use a drag harrow behind it on the last pass or two, then follow that up with a disc, as Daniel suggested. It depends a lot on your soil.

They do make a nice job though. We used to refer to them (although without the disc on the front) as deep tillages. I've dragged the eight and ten foot versions around fields until the dirt wouldn't wash out of my skin. It was always my favourite chore.

I used the S-tine to break up sod for a garden this year and it's a pretty similar machine and does a similar job. I had a few traction problems after the first pass, but just lifting it up a bit solves that, and it may not be a problem with a sleeve hitch. Speaking of which, It's dry enough for me to till that again, so I should go do some tractorin' instead of talking about tractorin'.

#5 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 03:03 PM

well shoot, might have to build me a disc too lol. That would be alright though, would just be one more thing to have to drag around in the dirt! lol

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 05:05 PM

That's a pretty nice looking piece of equipment. It looks well made. I notice they use an ATV to pull them and it seems to be working pretty hard. I wonder if you'd have enough traction to pull that with an MF10.

#7 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 01:32 PM

I feel that with good tires and proper weighting the MF should pull it. If not, I might just have to pull it shallower and make more passes