14 replies to this topic

#1 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 01:40 PM

I took in a 3/8 drive craftsman ratchet to get replaced the other day since the ratchet mechanism had quit working. The old ratchet had USA stamped in the handle, the new one has china on it. All I could do was shake my head. Might have to make the switch to a different brand now......

#2 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:09 PM

Before you think all is o.k. on the truck vendors check the "Blue Point" pliers I bought my son from a Snap-On Dealer last summer for his B.Day, are also clearly marked made in China !!!
Another issue I ran into is the manager at our local Sears no longer just hands you a replacement Craftsman tool, they give you a rain check and order one in, EVEN when they have one on the shelf !! In years past they would break open a set if need be to keep you happy and coming back...
Things ain't the way they used to be :(

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:42 PM

I think it is hard to find made in USA on every tool in the "good" brands of tools.

I returned a Craftsman Ax a few days ago as the wooden handle was toast. They gave me a whole new ax with a fiberglass and rubber handle. It was made in Mexico. At least it was on this side of the planet.

I rarely have to return a Craftsman tool thankfully.
  • caseguy said thank you

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:55 PM

I have bought Craftsman for many years. I had a 3/8 drive ratchet go belly up about 6 months ago. They took it had it rebuilt and returned it.

On another site one of the guy's were complaining about Craftsman switching to china and in a photo he showed the two ratchets side by side and you could clearly see the difference between the two. The USA one looked to be of much better quality then the one made in China. Welcome to the new world of we don't care just buy it.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 04:54 PM

I have a set of Craftsman 1/2" sockets that I've had since I was a teen in the 70's. i think they will outlast me. Very good quality. It's the ratchet with the button for releasing the sockets and the squarish handle.
Sears has always had a reputation for superior customer service but that costs money. They are in trouble financially so I wouldn't be surprised to see service suffer as they try to survive in a ever more competitive market place. I hope they don't go belly up because there are a lot of people out there with their tractors etc. who could be left without support.

#6 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 03:19 PM

They sure arent what they always used to be. :(
Keep your eyes open for old Craftsman tools at flea markets and such. I have found a few (3/8 & 1/2 ratchets) that I did not necessarily need but does not hurt to have a spare. Lots of times there are other good quality old tools with other made in America brands. I carry a list of tools I need to replace or want to add with me in the summer when the flea markets and yard sales are going on (its down to just a 1 inch x 1/2 inch drive socket right now). You just never know.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 03:35 PM

We have a couple of ratchets and screwdrivers that need to be replaced. I guess we will find out how the whole process and quality is here before long.

I don't blame Sears though as they are doing what they need to be competitive and stay in business. We had a thread on this somewhere else where Sears is one of the few large companies that support our military and keep their jobs for when they return.

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 04:38 PM

I guess it all depends on the Sears store. Some up here will rebuild the Ratchet while others just give you new. At least they will replace them because I am constantly Returning the new ones they give me, They tend to strip out inside rather quick.

#9 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:23 PM

I had to get away from Caftsman ratchet's years ago I just did not have enuff skin on
my nuckles to keep using them every day I do keep some around as spares.But all the
tool companys are going cheaper

#10 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:08 PM

We do live in a world of imports because of CHEAP LABOR ( Even the Food we eat)
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 06:10 AM

They sure arent what they always used to be. :(
Keep your eyes open for old Craftsman tools at flea markets and such. I have found a few (3/8 & 1/2 ratchets) that I did not necessarily need but does not hurt to have a spare. Lots of times there are other good quality old tools with other made in America brands. I carry a list of tools I need to replace or want to add with me in the summer when the flea markets and yard sales are going on (its down to just a 1 inch x 1/2 inch drive socket right now). You just never know.

Most of my tool buying the last few years has been used older stuff for the same reasons, I have 4 boys and building tool sets for them has been challenging. I've had things I bought for 35 years that still work well, and stuff that is less than 10 yrs old that has been replaced a couple times already. (that includes Snap-on, Mac, Matco and Craftsman) So where is all the better metallurgy and better technology that I know we have available?

#12 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 02:27 PM

So where is all the better metallurgy and better technology that I know we have available?

It's all being suppressed so that companies can have record profits. After all, record profits make the stockholders happy, drives up stock prices and pays for all those high priced executives. Nevermind that reputations will be damaged in the future, now is the only thing that matters.

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 08, 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 06:34 PM

I think it is hard to find made in USA on every tool in the "good" brands of tools.
I returned a Craftsman Ax a few days ago as the wooden handle was toast. They gave me a whole new ax with a fiberglass and rubber handle. It was made in Mexico. At least it was on this side of the planet.
I rarely have to return a Craftsman tool thankfully.

About 4 years ago I had to return a shovel. It was clearly marked Craftsman on the handle, though it was worn and clearly not gently used. The salesman grabbed one out of the rack, but it didn't say Craftsman, it said Sears. He said that they were honoring the warranty with existing tools, but that it would be the last one. "a change in policy" he said. I replied that it would be the last Sears stick tool that I would ever own as well. I have been true to my word.
On the other side of that coin, I returned a gear puller just the other day that the drive screw had stripped out on. The salesman grabbed one off of the shelf and replaced it, no questions asked. It's how things used to be when I bought my first set of Craftsman tools in 1986.

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 08:12 PM

I think there was a period when Sears tried to back away from the lifetime warranty but realized that, that wasn't a good idea. We all know that HF does not have the best or most expensive tools on the market and I believe everything in that store comes from China but they also have a lifetime warranty on all their hand tools. I know I have gotten a few things that didn't work or broke and returned them for a replacement with no questions asked. So if you can get a tool cheap and it comes with the same warranty as the big boys why not.

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:05 PM

...So if you can get a tool cheap and it comes with the same warranty as the big boys why not.

...I just did not have enuff skin on
my nuckles to keep using them every day...

The warranty doesn't mean a thing to me if I can't complete the job that I need it for without running to get a replacement. I'm running short of excess knuckle skin too the older I get.