21 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:59 AM

A 1974 Chevy 1 ton with a dump box is for sale around here: http://winnipeg.kiji...QAdIdZ376872276

My wife found it on Kijiji last night after I was asleep, and she e-mailed the ad to me. I think I've looked at it five times now. Somebody really needs to buy it before I talk myself into purchasing a too-expensive toy.

The thing is that I love early 70's Chevy's, and I love dump boxes, and I have a weakness for those blue flame I-6 engines. I like the slow speeds and the pulling power. I love transmissions with bull low. If it had duallies and/or a flatbed, I'd already be standing on the guy's doorstep.

It doesn't even look rusty, which is pretty darned odd around here. I likely even have some parts for it under the bench in the garage, and my bro in-law will definitely have some odds and ends laying around for it.

And I could use it. With all the building and landscaping we have to do around here, that dump box would be a real labour saver. I could likely pick up some side work doing deliveries for Rene's dirt yard down the road too. I know they have trouble meeting demand on weekends, and I've driven his two-ton for him a few times when he was in a jam.

So would somebody buy this thing before I talk myself into it?

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 07:24 AM

Those old 292's are real workhorses, it looks original as well. GMC didn't go to blue engines until '77.

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, but we called them blue flames even when they were orange...because they are soooo fast. :laughingteeth:

It's kind of like the way we call GMs "Chevies"...not totally accurate, but everybody knows what you mean.

I love those 292s though. Usually some lifter noise, but very torquey and as close to bullet-proof as I've ever seen an engine.

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 08:32 AM

The 292 has more stroke than a 454, in fact it has more stroke than any Chevy motor ever built. I saw one run a 9:05 in a 1/4 mile. He said his best time ever was 8:45. Not bad for a six-in-a-row.

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:10 AM

There used to be a fast Chevy II in Regina with one too. Beat my Mach I with a 351 in it. If I remember correctly, he had three two-barrel carbs on it. That's a lot of fuel for six cylinders no matter how lean you jet them.

My dad had a half-ton with one you could drive 80 MPH all day long...just took a while to get up to speed. He took it to Alaska twice, and it survived his youngest two sons and who knows how many loads of firewood, hay, and random car parts.

In trucks bigger than a half ton though, they were generally geared for low-end power. I've driven grain trucks...3 ton dumps...with them. Not fast, top end of about 50 MPH empty, but they'll move three tons of wheat to the elevator and they'll do it all day long. That's the true beauty of those engines, the way they were combined with gearing to do so many different jobs. A 350 can do that kind of work, but it'll suck gas and if doesn't have 4 bolt mains, you'll have bearing and crank problems.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:45 PM

If I remember correctly the 292 was only in C20 thru C50 trucks, there may have been a few installed in older C60 trucks. Never ever saw one in a C10 truck.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:06 AM

Oh, come on Rev... This would be just what you need to do a lot more work easier. Think of the fun driving it with the trailer behind, going to get a load of GT's and parts, or the money you could make in your "free" time hauling stuff for others...

Convinced yet? LOL

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:42 AM

If I remember correctly the 292 was only in C20 thru C50 trucks, there may have been a few installed in older C60 trucks. Never ever saw one in a C10 truck.

Yeah, I'm thinking that would have been a 235(?) in the half tons. Same basic advantages/disadvantages though.

Still, you know how Chevies are...all the engines fit in all the vehicles with minimal fuss. Who knows what ends up where by the time the third or fourth owner gets it?

Oh, come on Rev... This would be just what you need to do a lot more work easier. Think of the fun driving it with the trailer behind, going to get a load of GT's and parts, or the money you could make in your "free" time hauling stuff for others...

Convinced yet? LOL

Going to have a look at it today. Why not? It's raining so I don't have much else to do.

This is odd...Mrs. Rev thinks it might be a good idea. More than odd, it's frightening, because I have no idea why she thinks it would be a good idea. I have a feeling she has plans she hasn't told me about. :confuse: She was also looking at flower catalogues and asking about landscape ties and pergolas.

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:54 AM

Chevy built a194, a 230, a 250, and a 292. The way you tell them apart is on the 250 the side cover is 4" tall and on the 292 the side cover is 6" tall. The 292 has 4 ring pistons I believe. I think they have the same bore, but the stroke gets longer.

Edited by Amigatec, May 06, 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:27 AM

So was it a 230 or a 250 in the half tons then, or could it be both depending on year? Also, it occurs to me that I've never taken one of the sixes apart. I've pulled apart 350s and 305s and one 327, but never a six. That says something about them.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:48 AM

The six'rs were nearly bulletproof, so not often pulled apart. The Jeep 6 cylinder inline is or about as good.

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm not sure when Chevy quit making 230's, but I do know we had one in a '63 Belair. I seen to think the placement for the dipstick was different from a 230 to a 250. Also a lot of the later 250's the intake was cast into the head and not removable.

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:54 PM

The older 216's and 235's were quite different as well. The 216's the sidecover went all the way up the side and used acorn nuts on the valve cover, and 235's had a shorter side cover and used stove bolts to hold the valve cover down, and they were a couple of inches longer. Chevy also made a 261 that looked just like the 235's, but were installed in there bigger trucks. There was a bigger version of the 216 as well, but I'm not sure what it was.

Also the 235 car motors had hydraulic lifters, and the 235 truck motors had solid lifters.

#14 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 02:13 PM

Were you a GM mechanic or something, Amigatec? You are very knowledgable about the Chev engines.

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 02:51 PM

I worked as a truck/diesel/heavy equipment mechanic for 25 years. I have been into a few of these motors.