5 replies to this topic

#1 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 10:10 PM

Well, summer is right around the corner so I decided to repair the seals on my LT 2000. The left axle seal started to leak last fall so I thought that I would try to repair it before mowing season kicks off. I tried to get the seals at Napa but had no luck, so I ordered all new oil seals for the tranny through Sears, they should be here in a few days. The tranny came out pretty easy, for the first one anyway! I got it cleaned up and apart without losing anything. :) Here are a few photos for you all. Has anyone ever put a grease fitting into one of these trannys??

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1203.JPG
  • DSC_1204.JPG
  • DSC_1205.JPG
  • DSC_1206.JPG
  • DSC_1207.JPG
  • DSC_1208.JPG
  • DSC_1209.JPG

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 05:52 AM

I'm not sure a grease fitting would be a good thing. It's all designed to be lubed from the oil supply in the gearbox. You would probably damage the axle oil seals if you tried to force grease in behind them.
  • speedyg said thank you

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:18 AM

I have done that before, when you have a gear case leaking quite a bit. I have pumped gun grease into the case and topped it off with gear oil. Eventually the grease will work its way into the area that is leaking, it may not stop the leak but it will slow it down.
  • speedyg said thank you

#4 Rivets OFFLINE  

Rivets
  • Member No: 9710
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 07:29 AM

Having rebuilt many of these tranies, I would not try a grease fitting. Peerless tranies are designed to use Bentinite grease and have had to rebuild many where the mechanic? used something else and didn't work. Some were too heavy, causing hard shifting problems in our cold weather, while others were too light. Main problems were. In the shifting keys.
  • speedyg said thank you

#5 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 12:02 AM

Well it took me two tries but I got it put back together and everything works. I will try to get the tranny intalled this weekend. I decided against the grease sert. All the gears looked real good, they were still nice and sharp on all the edges. I will keep you all posted on how it goes and will try to post a few more pics for you all. :) Again I want to thank you guys for your input and help !!

#6 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 12:00 PM

I got the tranny installed last night and took the tractor for a spin, all seems good at this point. To this day I cannot see the benifit in making a tranny that is not servicable?? I would not think that it would add that much cost to allow access to the seals and add a drain plug and dipstick. You would think that for a small cost that this would give craftsman a edge over there competition? :deadhorse: But then what do I know? I really like the lt2000 for mowing, I live in the mountains and basicily mow meadows. The ground is ruff to say the least. With the flexable frame on the LT I can get the job done faster and better than my "GT can which beats me to death due to it's tank like construction" I have owned this tractor for nine years and it has never seen a maniqured lawn. I only wish that craftsman had as much confedence in us as some of us have in their little tractor. WOW!!! sorry for the bomb guys !!! :bounce: but I feel better :bounce:
Cyril pictures 2012 207.JPG
Cyril pictures 2012 209.JPG