3 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Now that the grass is growing again, have gotten a chance to use the 316k some. Engine was rebuilt, so just putting some light break in hours on it before retightening everything, rechecking the timing, fine-tuning the carb, etc.

One thing I have noticed is that this thing steers like a truck!!! Good thing we have open fields,because this thing has a "generous" turning radius! My normal yard cutter is a Deere LX173 - just a riding mower, but it turns a lot quicker and is easier to get around bushes and such. Where the 173 can arc around things, I find myself making 3 point turns on the 316. I think my 2320 even turns quicker than the 316 (but it has a spinner and power steering...) Is it just me, or was the steering on these models slow? Front tires don't seem to be pushing.....

I wouldn't think toe or camber would affect it much if the wheels aren't pushing, but are there any adjustments to quicken things up? Power steering or a quicker gear ratio in the steering would help(?) but are beyonda simple fix.....

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:48 PM

I have a 314 and a 2320 so I know what you mean. I think the 2320 would turn inside the 316's turning radius. There are a lot of wear points in the steering linkage on the old 300 series and that could be impacting your steering effort. There are adjustments and a grease fitting on the steering gear and also grease fittings in the rest of the steering linkage. I had to replace tie rod ends, some bushings in the linkage and the front axle centre pivot bushings on my 314 to get the steering back into decent shape. Even then I know what you mean. Any quick maneuvers and you are scrambling to get the wheel turned. It's a lot heavier tractor than the 173 and that is part of the heavy steering. If you pm me your email address I can send you some info. on the steering adjustments. JD won't allow us to have copyrighted material on this site.

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Brian! I'm not complaining about high effort to turn the wheel, and there isn't a lot of slop in it - not truck-like that way, it just doesn't seem to turn or change direction very quickly. Almost like you want to turn the wheel a few degrees more before it reaches the stops. I don't see anything out-of-wack or hitting or interfering with travel - there just isn't enough of it!

I'll pm you. But I have the service manual (I was on here before stuff went away :orangecool: ) - seems like I saw the play adjustment procedure in there.

Worst case, I'll put a spinner on it and plan ahead for my turns!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 05:34 AM

If you have the service manual that should tell you how to adjust the play out of the steering gear and adjust toe in etc. I found that there was a lot of added friction in the steering linkage on mine due to worn bushings. Also that front axle pivot gets worn and contributes to the problem. That's easy to check. You can sometimes adjust out the play in the axle if it's not too much by tightening the castle nut so the axle is rubbing lightly against the stops on the frame that limit it's front to back travel. There is no grease fitting in the axle pivot so the bushings tend to wear out. Wheel bearings were also bad on mine. I spent probably 100$ getting the steering sorted out on mine.