• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 06:17 AM

Yesterday after work I took the long way home, past our little neighbourhood, past the five acre lots, and out to the farmland. I like heading out that way in the spring because there are a couple of people who keep horses and I like to look at the foals.

So I turned the corner to take the last gravel road before the highway and was confronted with a herd of llamas blocking the road. I knew somebody was building a house in an abandoned farm yard near there last year, but didn't know who they were or anything. I put two and two together though and figured that the new animals likely went with the new house.

I couldn't get past the llamas to get into their yard and tell them they had animals out on the road though. The llamas were just milling around, so I didn't want to take a chance on getting them walking/running the other way. I don't know anything about these animals, so I wasn't sure how they'd react, but the road gives them about three miles of straight running room before dead-ending in a field, so I knew I wanted to be careful.

I sat in the truck for a couple of minutes wondering what to do and watching the llamas. They seem pretty skittish, but they are also pretty cool...kind of a cross between a camel and a sheep. They also bend their legs a lot more than horses or cows when they walk or run, which just looks odd.

After a while two women came out and stood on the road by the driveway entrance with their arms out. The older woman waved at me to drive ahead. I moved ahead slowly and the animals moved toward the women, then stopped. They didn't want to go back up the driveway. I parked kind of across the road, since they had moved away from the truck, and got out. I walked around the back of the truck and positioned myself so the llamas had to go up the driveway to get away from me. They eyed me suspiciously, and when I stepped towards them, they headed up driveway. The women kind of flanked the herd and we got them back inside the fence.

We did up the gate and introduced ourselves. The man of the family got home from work about then, invited me to have a beer, and drove me back out to retrieve my truck. Turns out they are related (children of cousins) to the farmer who owns the land and bought the property from him. They are from the Interlake and had been flooded off their land and since they could work in the city (he's a diesel mechanic, she's some sort of office worker), they sold out and moved. Their daughter (the young woman) is just visiting.

Seems the llamas have learned that they can open the gate by pushing up on the wire band that holds it shut. llamas are smarter than cows, I guess. We jerry-rigged a fix for that by wiring the wire to a nail. It's a little awkward, but should work until they can get a wooden gate with a proper latch put up.

Anyway, now I have another reason to drive out that way. We've got llamas in the neighbourhood now, and when their owners invite you in for a beer, you have to stay for three.
  • daytime dave, MH81, caseguy and 3 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,660 Thanks
  • 39,035 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:07 AM

Cool story, Rev! Sounds like you made some new friends.

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,494 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:36 AM

Sounds like nice people where you live , it should be like that everywhere , take care , Al

#4 twostacks OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 08:05 AM

It's always a good day when you can have a beer or two with friends and neighbors. The farm next to me put a few llamas in the sheep pasture earlier this spring. They are an interesting animal when you're used to seeing cattle and sheep everywere. We also have some alpaca around which are equally interesting.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 08:06 AM

Rev, great story, glad you made some new friends, and they raise your own kind too lol.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 08:11 AM

it should be like that everywhere

I'll second that one Al.

Seems you have been blessed with new neighbors that are nice. Good for you.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 08:47 AM

What a nice memory, and a cool day you had. Thanks for Sharing.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Nice story Rev. Blair. I've seen a few llamas here on farms but I've never had a good look at one up close. It soumds like they are nice folks and a good addition to your neighborhood.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,334 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:32 PM

Nnice Sstory Aabout Tthe Llama's

Thanks Rev, I always enjoy reading your stories, you have a way with the English language that allows the reader to see it themselves.

I'm glad your neighbor isn't raising a bunch of Lama's. That would be weird.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,242 Thanks
  • 29,697 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 06:32 PM

Great story, but I do hope they get a proper fix on that gate. They would be in a big hurt if someone hits one of them critters. Sound like good folk though for sure!

#11 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the nice story Rev. Yes there still are some good decent people out there, and apparently some of them have beer too :)

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for relaying the story Rev! Makes me want to go for a ride in the country! There are good folks in the world, you just have to look harder / farther to find them these days. Glad that you stumbled upon a few!