Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Glad no one was hurt except the glass Chris. Do you know if that was a cheap China bit or something better. Lots of good points guys, I imagine we are all guilty of a little slack in the safety procedures at times. Lets all do are best to stay safe doing what we do!!
  • Cvans said thank you

#17 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 01:06 PM

This was from another forum. The fellow said it happened when his stone on his angle grinder exploded.
He said he would wear gloves from now on! Hope others will be careful.

post-6076-0-13658100-1340742376_thumb.jpg
  • Cvans said thank you

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 01:00 PM

Please keep by standers away from machining equipment when your working unless they have the proper safety equipment on.
I was drilling a 15/64ths hole (just under a 1/4") through a 3/4" pin. The bit caught, broke, and and the photos below show the results. The door is 5' from the drill press. This is a double pane window and the inside pain is broken. The second photo is taken from the outside and you can see the drill press
through the window. The last photo shows the broken bit and the pin that I was drilling. The pin is not hardened and and was drilling easily. This happened so fast the I didn't feel the pin move nor did I hear the bit break. Just a pop when it hit the glass. When I took the wife out to see it 20 minutes later the glass was still breaking and you could see new cracks forming in the glass. An hour later the cracking had slowed quite a bit but the cracks were still forming.
Please be careful .

Wow!! That's pretty scary... one bright side, though... a lot of people pay good money to get a window with that "crackle" effect in it!!!!!

U S
  • Cvans said thank you

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 01:18 PM

Glad no one was hurt except the glass Chris. Do you know if that was a cheap China bit or something better. Lots of good points guys, I imagine we are all guilty of a little slack in the safety procedures at times. Lets all do are best to stay safe doing what we do!!

I picked up a set of Chinese-made drill bits a year ago. They were TiN coated and came in a nice well-made register. A while later I had to drill a hole for a 1/4 inch bolt in a piece of 1/4" hot rolled steel. I put a pilot hole in it, then started drilling a 9/32" hole.

Things started out okay, but within a few seconds it felt like the drill had already pushed through the hole. However, I could see that the bit was wobbling badly. I thought I'd forgotten to tighten the chuck.

This is what I found instead:

2012-07-10_12-05-34_560.jpg

(One of the guys from work put it on a little stand and labeled it for me)

Have you ever seen a drill unwind itself???

I tried a couple other smaller drills from the set... one was fine, but the other did the same thing...

That's probably the biggest problem with Chinese tools... they could be decent quality, but their quality control is very inconsistent.

U S
  • Cvans said thank you

#20 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 01:32 PM

This was from another forum. The fellow said it happened when his stone on his angle grinder exploded.
He said he would wear gloves from now on! Hope others will be careful.

post-6076-0-13658100-1340742376_thumb.jpg

We use angle grinders all the time in our shop. DO NOT use a wheel if it has any damage on it's edge. They will come apart and hurt or even kill you!!

This one was dropped on the floor.
2012-07-10_13-25-58_938.jpg
  • Cvans said thank you

#21 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 07:46 PM

As a matter of fact, I have! I too must have some really cheap bits....
The bit quit cutting and as I stopped the drill and looked at the bit, it looked odd, but I didn't realize the darn thing had "un-twisted".
Well, I guess you get what you pay for....Note to self...Buy better quality drill bits!
  • Cvans said thank you

#22 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:49 PM

As a matter of fact, I have! I too must have some really cheap bits....
The bit quit cutting and as I stopped the drill and looked at the bit, it looked odd, but I didn't realize the darn thing had "un-twisted".
Well, I guess you get what you pay for....Note to self...Buy better quality drill bits!

Most twist drills start out as solid drill rod and have the helix and cutting edge ground in them. This one is almost dead soft I'd say.

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:03 AM

I have not seen a drill bit untwist. Not much chance of that bit breaking and hurting someone. I have had some that where so soft the only thing they were good for was wood or plastic and that was questionable.

#24 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 09:21 PM

I have not seen a drill bit untwist. Not much chance of that bit breaking and hurting someone. I have had some that where so soft the only thing they were good for was wood or plastic and that was questionable.

Yeah, and isn't it interesting how things change. When I was a kid, any cheap tool was "Made in Japan"... at some point I suspect China will get their act together quality-wise and the cheap stuff will come from VietNam or Outer Mongolia or some such place.