broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 09:26 PM

A couple members expressed interest in the seeder I just purchased so I thought I'd post some info and pics. A few times a year I place an ad for plowing and discing food plots and large gardens with my farm/utility tractor. If it's a bigger job I have my dad help me, he loves plowing. I have a ford 2600 and he has a 8n. We both have dearborn two 14" bottom plows and we went halves on a 7' dearborn disc harrow. We have had a lot of fun and made a little money. Every year we have had requests for seeding but didn't have the equipment. This year when we were asked to plow, disc and seed a pasture for alpacas with orchard grass we decided to investigate what would be necessary to do it. I did some research on line and with a local seed/agricultural services provider. I am no expert, have no experience and could be mistaken about any of this info but I found several ways to get it done. A grain drill would be nice but expensive and we couldn't find one to rent. Another way was to plow, disc, run a cultipacker over the plot, broadcast spread the seed and then cultipack again to set the seed in. There has to be seed to soil contact, preferably 1/4" - 1/2" deep. A cultipacker is like a heavy roller with groves in it to create groves for the seed and then press the seed into the soil. We had a tow behind agri-fab broadcast seeder for a gt but no cultipacker. I found a few used cultipackers for sale but all were expensive, $800 &up. Then we found this cultipacker / seeder. It has a cultipacker roller in the front, then a seeder that drop seeds in the middle and then a rear roller to set the seed in and compact the soil, all in one pass. This seeder has more advantages than just the ability cultipack, seed and compact all in one pass. It has ground driven feeder brushes that feed seed only when its moving. If you stop, the feed stops, if you speed up, the feed speeds up. It's more consistent than broadcasting and has a constant width that's easy to see on the next pass. It also can be used on a windy day, with a broadcaster the wind will blow the lite seed around. Being a 3pt mount makes it maneuverable in tight, fenced in areas. Another major factor for us to go with this piece of equipment is the ability to calibrate the feed rate for each product your seeding. You can put a tarp under it, disengage and rotate the feed bar a certain # of times, then weigh the seed to determine the exact amount of seed it will feed per acre. This is important to us because we have no idea what 18 lbs an acre looks like on the ground. We were able to buy it for less then the cultipackers were selling for and our first job will cover the cost of the seeder and expenses with a little room for profit(if we don't break anything). Hopefully this unit will work well and give us the ability to plant for a variety of applications. If anyone has any info/advice on any of this please let me know. Like I said, I have no experience with seeding and this is just my interpretation of the research I have done.
DSC02479.JPG DSC02480.JPG DSC02481.JPG DSC02484.JPG
  • olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 10:03 PM

That sure sounds interesting! I don't know anything about it, but I wish you luck! It sounds like it will be a good money maker for you if all works out. :thumbs: It was certainly an interesting read, Thanks.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 10:21 PM

That is very interesting! e seen simular units in the land Pride catalog. Will be interested in how it works for you.

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 10:29 PM

That sure sounds interesting! I don't know anything about it, but I wish you luck! It sounds like it will be a good money maker for you if all works out. :thumbs: It was certainly an interesting read, Thanks.

It all started because there weren't enough plow days to satisfy our plowing cravings. We decided to try to get set up for seeding this year because my dad will be retiring soon and wants something to keep busy and make a little extra cash. Working his tractors is his favorite thing to do so if we can do this a few times a year it will be great.
  • chris m said thank you

#5 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 10:32 PM

That is very interesting! e seen simular units in the land Pride catalog. Will be interested in how it works for you.

We are set to do the job in 3 weeks. I'll post results and pics when we're done.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 04:26 AM

Cool piece of equipment! Hope it works well for you guys! Need to set you up a test plot. Do different settings and see how it comes up!

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 08:26 AM

I see it is a "Brillion" unit. They make top-notch equipment for sure. Should last years on end. Does it still have a rate chart under the lid?

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for that information. That unit looks like it is perfect for what you want to do with it. It will be much easier too. Can't wait to see the action photographs.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 10:21 AM

I don't know much about this stuff but that sounds like an ideal machine for what you guys want to do. Thanks for posting the explanation of what this is and how it works.

#10 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 10:30 AM

I see it is a "Brillion" unit. They make top-notch equipment for sure. Should last years on end. Does it still have a rate chart under the lid?

Ditto on good equipment. About all they use around here for direct seed alfalfa and lawns.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 09:58 PM

I looked up the Brillion site and they don't make a seeder under 700 lbs, too big for a garden tractor.
The good news is they have setting charts that should put you in the ballpark