#16 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 04:38 AM

Hi folks

Couldn't find a box blade used locally so I ordered one on line at HD. It's the Brinley 38" and it arrived today. The packaging was beat up pretty bad but all the parts were there and it went together fine in less than an hour. The centre hole in the hitch was partially deformed and i had to file out the excess metal. I haven't had time to put it on the tractor and try it yet. I stopped at 2 places on the way home and couldn't find a 5/8" pin long enough. When I got home I checked my parts and I already had one that fits perfectly. Heres a few pics. That weight bracket is a lame idea! It's too low! I'm going to change that to something I can hang steel weights from.

For the price 209$ it isn't too bad. I plan on trying it out soon at the church parking lot to pull gravel back into the lot from where the snow plow has piled it over the winter.

I have this exact same one for my 317. I have used it for everything from gravel to snow removal. I like it quite a bit and really appreciate the removable sides. I was suprised and how solid it was for the price.

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 05:15 AM

I think I just found my next fab project! That thing looks great. I like the design. I have a fair amount that I can use a box blade for. Thanks for the pics!

I think the manual is in the manuals section if you want a good look at the parts. I had to fine tune the assembly as it needed a few adjustments to the hitch and blade mount to get it to sit with the side panels parallel to the ground. Got that sorted out and I'm modifying the weight bracket. The weather is turning on us here with rain for the next few days so maybe I'll get to work in the garage on this thing instead of doing landscaping.

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 05:34 AM

I think I just found my next fab project! That thing looks great. I like the design. I have a fair amount that I can use a box blade for. Thanks for the pics!

Here's a link to the Box Blade I bought if you are going to build one, frenchy! I can get some measurements if you need them.
http://gardentractor...-new-box-blade/
I think it would work better as a 3-point, but that's my opinion. I do want to widen it about 6". Just too close to the same width of the rear tires right now.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#19 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thanks Kenny! I had those pics open and threw this together in SketchUp. That program is awesome.. Can't believe that I didn't know it existed.... Are these dimensions close to what yours are? I wasn't sure about the sizes, so I guessed. Easy enough to mod them though.

Box Scraper_1.jpg

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:01 AM

I borrowed your pic and put a few changes. Mine is only 40" wide right now.
Box Scraper_1.jpg
Where the 18" measurement is, these are not touching in the front, just set at about 45 degrees. The center tooth is on the inside there because of the sleeve hitch. But,you have the design close. When I widen mine, I want to add a 6th tooth, get them a little closer together.
  • frenchy said thank you

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:39 AM

The Brinley is only 38" wide which doesn't cover the rear of my 314 (42") Where your diagram says 30" the Brinley is maybe 24" The further out you push the blade the harder it will be to lift. On a sleeve hitch you might want to pull that in a bit. I can get some proper measurements if you want. The pivoting and angling function may or may not not be of much use to you . If you take the side panels off you can angle it and use it as a rear blade and also turn it 180 to push with it.
  • KennyP and frenchy have said thanks

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 05:39 AM

The width of the Brinly is why I passed buying a new one. Makes it hard to get close along something. I already have a rear blade that angles, so that is no problem.

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 05:27 PM

Did some head scratching and came up with an easy mod to the weight bracket to allow me to use weight plates and keep the weight in close to the blade. I took the cross brace and bolted it onto the top bolts then cut 2 pieces of angle with 2 holes in them, a 3/8" to bolt to the bracket and a 1/2" for the weights to hang from.

DSCF7577.jpg DSCF7578.jpg

Just bolted 40 lbs on it.

DSCF7580.jpg

Also got the wheel brackets installed on the 314 and it looks like 100lbs will fit on the brackets. They do stick out a bit more then I'd like but they were originally made for 26x12/12's. There are 3 10's on the inside then a grey 25, a black 25 and 2 more 10's on the outside.

DSCF7579.jpg DSCF7581.jpg

I should be good to go for my church parking lot job sometime next week.
  • DH1 and tinner have said thanks

#24 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Nice Mods. Looks really ready to go. Watch out parking lot.

#25 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 05:58 PM

That's a good lookin blade for the $200 tag. Looks like your all set up, and ready to go to work.
Will we get to see pics of that?

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 07:29 PM

I like the wheel weight bars! I have something similar that will fir onto 16 inch wheels. They stick out VERY far thought. lol.

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 04:02 AM

That's a good lookin blade for the $200 tag. Looks like your all set up, and ready to go to work.
Will we get to see pics of that?

Will, I'll try to take some pics of the lot before and after. I'm trying to find an evening where there is nothing going on there and the weather has to cooperate.

I like the wheel weight bars! I have something similar that will fir onto 16 inch wheels. They stick out VERY far thought. lol.

Ryan, I've seen some pics of your tractors at pulls. I don't need nearly as much weight as a puller would use. The weight plates are a cheap way to add weight. I'm always looking for them at yard sales etc. The cheap grey Wall Mart ones are good because they are thin with no holes in them. They stopped selling that style though and they are getting scarce.

Nice Mods. Looks really ready to go. Watch out parking lot.

Dave, I'm arranging to do this when there is nothing going on at the church. I'm also making some portable posts that I can string ropes and red flags from to block off a section at a time so I can work without cars approaching. The lot is a mess and really needs this done. I'm not sure how well this setup will work. It's the first major job I've attempted with the 314.

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 04:16 AM

Nice weight set up! Where did you come up with the wheel adapters?
  • JDBrian said thank you

#29 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 06:43 AM

Wow, love the idea of the weights. I have the same type of weights and just had them off the back. I am always worried about hitting something with them and can't ever get as close to things as I want. You've inspired me, I will let you know how it goes.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#30 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Nice weight set up! Where did you come up with the wheel adapters?

I just figured that one out myself when I had my x475. It really needed weight to work properly. The cost of JD's wheel weights is totally out to lunch. I wanted to be able to remove the wheels without dealing with the weight. This is the major advantage of this design - being able to add and remove weight easily and in manageable amounts. Those are made of 1/4 plate with the corners nipped off to clear the rim and the 1" round was centred and bolted on straight before it went to be welded. The wheel nut holes are a bit of work to drill. You need a good hole saw and a drill press unless you are really stubborn. When I used these brackets on the x475 the rims were assembled the other way so I had to space the bracket up off the rim to clear the bulge in the centre. I used 1/2" couplers to do that and it worked fine. On these rims the bracket lays flat against the weight mounting holes so I could just bolt them up directly. I have a larger set for the 2320 made with 3/8" plate.
  • KennyP said thank you