• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hi folks

Couldn't find a box blade used locally so I ordered one on line at HD. It's the Brinley 38" and it arrived today. The packaging was beat up pretty bad but all the parts were there and it went together fine in less than an hour. The centre hole in the hitch was partially deformed and i had to file out the excess metal. I haven't had time to put it on the tractor and try it yet. I stopped at 2 places on the way home and couldn't find a 5/8" pin long enough. When I got home I checked my parts and I already had one that fits perfectly. Heres a few pics. That weight bracket is a lame idea! It's too low! I'm going to change that to something I can hang steel weights from.

DSCF7511.jpg DSCF7512.jpg

DSCF7513.jpg DSCF7514.jpg

DSCF7515.jpg DSCF7517.jpg

For the price 209$ it isn't too bad. I plan on trying it out soon at the church parking lot to pull gravel back into the lot from where the snow plow has piled it over the winter.
  • MH81, middleageddeere and frenchy have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,936 Thanks
  • 29,287 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:35 PM

They are very handy implements to have. The reason the weight bracket is so low is to allow you to use a cement block and still turn it around to use to push backwards.

Nice buy, it'll do you a great job. Mine has served me very well.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,350 Thanks
  • 4,516 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:49 PM

That looks like a very useful tool to have around. I like how you can spin it around and use it both ways.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,241 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 08:33 PM

I bet that will be a nice tool to have! I dont really like the way the weight rack is low either, it makes sense if you are going to use it backwards, if only forwards it might not be the best set-up.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,870 Thanks
  • 5,404 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Looks good that attachment is on my want list.
If you like you can come and test it out on my gravel driveway, I won't mind at all  :bigrofl:

• JDBrian said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,660 Thanks
  • 9,358 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have the same brand and size as yours. So far, (two hours of use) I am happy with its performance. It definitely needs wieght to get aggressive, though. The tooth bar works well, both for seed prep, and light (sparse) vegetation removal. Best of luck with it.

I removed about 6", up to 16", of dirt from the area outside the wall to the inside of it.
Duluth 2012 076.jpg
Duluth 2012 077.jpg

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 04:08 AM

I have a fairly large job to do at the church with it. I have no way to get the 2320 down to the church so it's GT time! Cat, thanks for the pics. It certainly looks like it got the job done for you. I'm wondering how much wheel weight I will need on the 314. It's much heavier then the newer GT's at 750lbs. I won't be doing any scarifying at the church, just moving gravel. I have weight brackets ready to install and can probably load up to 100lbs/wheel. Don't have chains for it though.
I hadn't thought about reversing the blade when using the weight bracket. Thanks for reminding me. I need to do something that uses weight lifting plates and doesn't stick out the back so far. I need to back up to a rock wall at the church and pull the gravel back out into the parking lot and if I have to stop 1ft short for that bracket it's more we'll have to pull out of there by hand.

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,660 Thanks
  • 9,358 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 04:42 AM

I'm running loaded tires, (WWF) and chains.

Can you run parallel up tight to the wall, and then start pulling the rock out?

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 32,283 Thanks
  • 42,060 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 04:48 AM

Brian, can you drag along the wall for a ways and turn out to move some of that gravel out?

I'm running loaded tires, (WWF) and chains.

Can you run parallel up tight to the wall, and then start pulling the rock out?

I was just thinking the same thing! Or leave the sides off and angle the blade ( if it's wide enough to stick outside the tires when angled)

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 10:45 AM

Brian, can you drag along the wall for a ways and turn out to move some of that gravel out?

I was just thinking the same thing! Or leave the sides off and angle the blade ( if it's wide enough to stick outside the tires when angled)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might be able to do that at some point but in a lot of areas there is too much gravel there to drive over. The lot is in bad shape and has rocks coming up through it all over the place. The gravel is piled in by the rock wall up to a foot deep in some case. I have never used a GT to do this so it will be fun to figure out how to get it done. If I could get the 2320 up there I could just back drag most of it out from the wall with the loader bucket. It's about 6 miles from home and I don't have insurance so there's no way for me to get the big tractor up there. That's why it's nice to have the GT to use for jobs like this. I have some friends that need some work on their driveways as well. I'll try it out at home to get a feel for how it's going to work.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hitched the blade onto the 314 tonight and it lifted it without a hesitation. This is the first time I've used the hydraulics on the tractor. I shut down and left it in the raised position for a while and it stayed in place so the valve seems to be working OK. The lift height is good-maybe 10" or more high. It could use a little less lift and a bit more on the bottom. The hydro lever is touchy. It lifts and drops quickly and it's hard to make small adjustments. I'm used to the position control on the 2320 3pt. and this will take some getting used to. I moved a bit of gravel with it and it seemed to pull a full box load with ease. I don't think I'll have any traction issues just moving gravel.

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 08:05 AM

Are those available for a 3 pt? I checked the HD page, but didn't see anything.

#13 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,693 Thanks
  • 4,685 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:56 AM

Rev,

If you have a 3-pt, just do what I did and get something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item45fcd47afa

Let's you use sleeve hitch implements with your 3-pt. Makes for a much more versatile tractor.

I bought that one for my Bolens 1886. It's a very well built piece. I also made sure to the the extra 'tab' on the other side for hitching trailers, etc.

There are others out there as well, so you might be able to find a better price. It would be worth looking.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Are those available for a 3 pt? I checked the HD page, but didn't see anything.

Like Ole B said you would have to modify the blade or get an adapter. This thing is a pretty good value IMO. I'm hoping to give it a good workout in the next week or so. Got my wheel weight brackets mounted but just don't have any time for GT's this week.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#15 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:46 PM

I think I just found my next fab project! That thing looks great. I like the design. I have a fair amount that I can use a box blade for. Thanks for the pics!