Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 10:43 AM

Glad you didn't have a big 3/4" inpact and break off the splined shaft , ,that's what I was worrying about when I looked at the steering wheel up close , Al

#17 dacheez17 OFFLINE  

dacheez17
  • Member No: 9663
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 08:29 PM

yup, me too, not only do I not have one of the big impacts, I don't have the correct air compressor to do the job either. If I have to pull lug nuts, it takes me a min to do it. I have to wait for the compressor to power up, then hit it, then wait again. LOL, oh well I'll add it to my Bday, xmas, and daddy's day present. :laughingteeth:

#18 dacheez17 OFFLINE  

dacheez17
  • Member No: 9663
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:43 PM

ok, so I can't seem to get the splined piece off of the steering stem. I've used channel locks, hitting them upward with a hammer, I've used a cold steel chisel, and a punch, trying to hammer up. This thing isn't budging. I'm not sure what else I can do, I do have a propane torch I can try to heat it up a bit, but propane won't heat it up enough I believe. Does anyone have any ideas on trying to remove this thing?

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:56 PM

I assume you got the nut off, yes? You could try putting a pulley-puller on it. Leave the puller on over night, spray it with some penetrating oil or something similar a few times and see if the puller takes it off. If not, you can put tension on it and GENTLY hit the splined part with a hammer. I would only do this as a last resort, the steering box in these tractors can break VERY easy. If you break the aluminum case it is very expensive to replace it.