• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dacheez17 OFFLINE  

dacheez17
  • Member No: 9663
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Trying to get some ideas of what to do about my steering wheel. 1980 pk 2418, not looking for spending 50+ on ebay, wondering if anyone has retro fittited something besides the old chevy ones. I haven't gotten the steering wheel nut off yet, it's pretty well rusted and I don't have a 1-1/8 inpact socket to try to break it free. Just fishing for some ideas. Thanks

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:47 AM

If it uses a Ross box then just about any GT wheel will fit, if I can't find one for my MF10, I plan on buying a plain-Jane wheel for it.

I use a puller on mine.

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 09:13 AM

If it uses a Ross box then just about any GT wheel will fit, if I can't find one for my MF10, I plan on buying a plain-Jane wheel for it.

I use a puller on mine.

Yes, all of the ross steering wheels have the same splines so they are interchangeable. Your best bet to find one is to go on eBay and look for cub cadet steering wheels, or any other brand that uses, or used ross steering componets.
  • chris m said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:18 PM

Yes, all of the ross steering wheels have the same splines so they are interchangeable. Your best bet to find one is to go on eBay and look for cub cadet steering wheels, or any other brand that uses, or used ross steering componets.

I,m in the same boat. Thanks for the info!

#5 dacheez17 OFFLINE  

dacheez17
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 01:45 PM

I figured out what I'm going to do! I bought a grant stainless steering wheel off craigslist for 10 bucks. Goning to fab some sort of adapter plate to mount to the column. My steering nuts on top of the column are too rused to break free(they are almost peeling off in layers. Gonna brush them up and coat with some rust inhibitor, brainstorm right now includes a drill press, 1/4" set screw a 1 1/8th deep well socket a hex nut 3" x 3" square 1/8" aluminum and hopefully a functional steering wheel. Will tske some pics when get started and done

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 03:13 PM

Is there any part of the old wheel left ? If so maybe you could break away the plastic and use the steel splined part as some kind of adapter ,Al

#7 dacheez17 OFFLINE  

dacheez17
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Ok well I'm a little confused?! I'm guessing my steering wheel is different then everyone elses. My wheel doesn't have any splines on it, the only thing it has is a hex nut that is threaded onto the shaft then the wheel fit tightly over nut then another nut came down clamped on it. The wheel cracked in 3 spots on the central hub which allowed it to come off. Now you've got me thinking I believe there is a metal coller in between the two nuts. I wonder if thid may be splined. I've been spraying PB Blast on the rusted nuts for 2 days now, I'll go buy a 1 1/8th deep well impact socket this weekend, and put the old impact on her and see if I can work her loose. Only thing I'm afraid of is the impact rattling the tractor to pieces. But back to the wheel if this is indeed a splined collar then just drill out the hole on stering wheel and weld collar on and viola! Thanks for all the help guys I shall get this done eventually

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 10:07 PM

Are you sure its a 1980? Is the steering column on the left side or center? Is the body of the tractor sheet metal or fiberglass? Do you have any pics of the tractor that show the steering wheel?

#9 dacheez17 OFFLINE  

dacheez17
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 10:21 PM

According to the spec sheet of years for serial numbers, yes I am sure it's a 1980. Steering on left side. I don't have the serial handy right now. Posted Image

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 06:03 AM

Ah, I remember that tractor now! It should just have a splined shaft sticking out of the column with the nut on the end. I will post a diagram of the steering componets later.
  • dacheez17 said thank you

#11 dacheez17 OFFLINE  

dacheez17
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Ok Ryan, well thank you for your help, I will stop by Harbor Freight today and pick up a large impact socket set, to remove that nut, and try to get the spline off. Thanks again

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 07:45 AM

I wonder if it would be safer to just to cut/grind the nut off it it doesn't come off to easy . It would stink if you damaged the shaft trying to save a rusty nut , It was a long time ago but the steering wheel on my PK believe did the same thing , center hub stayed and wheel came off , had another one from an older PK tractor that work , Al

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 05:00 PM

Here is a diagram, it does not show it as well as I thought it did. You can see it best in the diagram thats in the little square.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1-23.jpg

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Be careful with what you think is a be nut , pulled off my old PK steering wheel from the kids club house , don't worry ones 19 and the other is 23 pretty sure they won't miss it :lol: It's hard to tell from my picture but it looks like the inside was hexed so maybe what your thinking is a nut is just the part that the plastic was molded around ,Al

Attached Thumbnails

• P5090555.JPG

• dacheez17 said thank you

#15 dacheez17 OFFLINE  

dacheez17
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:12 AM

Alc,
You are absolutely right! I got home yesterday with the right sized impact, and put it on and nothing. Then after a closer look I realized there was a smaller nut sitting on the hex nut. Turns out I had that size the whole time. Oh well, so I removed the top nut and then tried to remove, the splined piece, but that wouldn't break free. Guess time to soak with a little more PB Blast for a bit.