caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:07 PM

MH81, my oldest Daughter, Briese and I went to Bergen, NY this Sunday past to pick up a set of cultivators that member broken2 (Dan) had posted in the Craigslist / Kijiji / ebay forum. I met Dan and his Father at last years PA plow day, so while making arrangements for the trip, I PM'd Dan to see if he would like to meet up for lunch while we were in his neck of the woods. At first, he said that he might not be able to make it, but as things turned out, what he had to do was going to bring him to the same general locale as we were headed to, so we PM'd back and forth a bit and he mentioned that he had an old Wheel Horse that he was looking to get rid of to make some room in his shed. He sent along some pics and to make a long story short, I told him that I was interested and we struck a deal. After a great lunch with Dan and his Father (also Dan) as well as a generous helping of long overdue conversation, we went out to see what Dan had brought for us. It was repainted at some point and the model number label was painted over. I meant to get this posted Sunday night when we got home, but some Family issues came up that had to be dealt with. The following pics will show what we came home with.

First, earlier today, with the help of some sand paper and steel wool, I was able to solve the mystery!
IMAG0304.jpg

It's a little rough, but I think that it's very savable (besides, My wife really likes it and I think it'll be a great way to get her a little more involved with the hobby!)
Enough banter and on with the pics!

IMAG0306.jpg IMAG0308.jpg IMAG0309.jpg IMAG0310.jpg
IMAG0311.jpg IMAG0305.jpg

Here is a pic of another little goodie that Dan threw into the deal!

IMAG0307.jpg

I'm also going to put up some pics of the cultivators that the trip was originally arranged for.

IMAG0322.jpg IMAG0321.jpg IMAG0318.jpg IMAG0316.jpg

The model number in the last pic is 71722 and it is listed as a two piece cultivator set. It appears to be complete and well used, but also well cared for.

Many, many thanks go out to Dan for a great afternoon, a great deal, and overall, a great trip! It was a pleasure getting to see you and your Dad again and I look forward to the next!

Just as a side note, I was going to the FCVAEC plow day in Cochranton, PA on Saturday and that put me about 1/4 of the way to Bergen NY. I borrowed my wife's minivan for the trip to NY because it gets MUCH better gas mileage than my Ford pick-up. I didn't know at the time that I would be making a deal with Dan and picking up more than a set of cultivators. Alan also got a couple things from Dan, one of which was a MF 620 snow blower. No one thought that I would be able to fit all of that stuff in the van, but I did. Dan's Father took some pics of the load and the process. (I didn't get any because my phone had died and it doubles as my camera.) and maybe broken2 will post them when he has a chance. It was truly a sight to see.
  • grand, daytime dave, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:19 PM

That's a real nice little WH and looks in good shape to me. An unexpected bonus for you!
  • caseguy said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Nice little horse you picked up! I bet those hubcaps will polish up in no time! I hope Dan can post those pics, I would like to see the load. Lol!
  • caseguy said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:58 PM

That is a neat WH. Great bonus for the trip. Glad you and Alan had a great time visiting with Dan!
  • caseguy said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:22 PM

That is a Great Wheel Horse! And that sounded like it was a great day! Can't wait to see the mini van pictures LOL.
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:55 PM

It was the proverbial 10 lbs in a 5 lb minivan. But it all fit and the van got great mileage all the way around. Especially considering the load on the way back.

• caseguy and KennyP have said thanks

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 07:32 PM

I always like to read when members have posative interaction. That WH is a nice bonus for the trip. Can't wait to see the pictures of the van all filled up.
  • caseguy said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Looks like a great little tractor and it sounds like you had a really great afternoon, that is really neat to be able to meet a fellow member in person and have a little bonus as well.
  • caseguy said thank you

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Great deal Steve, I see why you sent the reply PM that you had lol.
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 05:20 AM

That's a good looking WH and sounds like y'all had a really fun trip too. Congrats.
  • caseguy said thank you

#11 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 05:57 AM

That is one nice tractor,I need to find a 854 some day. I only have a rigged up one LOL Jake
  • caseguy said thank you

#12 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:33 AM

love to hear when a plan comes together, 'specially the unplanned part. congrats on the new additions. nice caps
  • caseguy said thank you

#13 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Nice haul Steve. It would fill up a van quickly. Glad to hear that you had a safe and enjoyable trip. It was even better because of being able to make a deal with another member and having a chance to have a good visit. I had the pleasure of meeting Dan and his father at last year's Plow Day. He did George a big favor by hauling his first Bush Hog to Plow Day. GT folks are the best .

Edited by grand, May 02, 2012 - 07:00 PM.

• caseguy said thank you

#14 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 02:54 AM

Nice loooking tractor Steve! What model is that Kohler? How long is the hood? Nice looking set of cultivators also! The 7-1722 was used from 1969 through 1974. The 854 was built during the time of transition from the round hoods to the square hoods. They were built primarily from leftover 1963 753 parts. The frames are a touch longer due to it being an actual 1964 frame (the same as the 1964 1045 which was the only round fender , square hood produced) and the hood is also a bit longer than all other round hoods.
  • caseguy said thank you