MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hello all,
I was at a scrap yard today browsing for any kind of junk usable on my GMC's or GT's and ran across an MF7. Pretty complete but no cutting deck or other accessories. It is still relatively straight even tho they move all the stuff around by just shoving with a loader as all will be crushed.

They sell stuff for 35 cents a pound so I was wondering what it may weigh and if there is anything on that MF7 that is also useable on an MF12. I was thinking of maybe buying the whole unit for parts.
They let me have the knob off the hood release lever no charge. I was bummed that the steering wheels were different.

I will try to go back out there Saturday or Monday again and get some pics. There are quite a few GT's, and a couple look to be vintage enough for parts or maybe restoration even.

Later---DAC

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 09:05 PM

MF7s, 8s, are different than the 10s, 12s, most parts don't interchange.
MF7 with mower weighs 420lbs for the pull start and 455lbs for the Hydro, electric start.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#3 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 02:49 AM

The only stuff thats interchangable is the plastic dash,nose piece,and maybe some knobs.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:04 AM

Why not pick up the 7 and restore it! they are a nice little mower and you can always pick up a deck elsewhere.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#5 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:37 PM

MF7s, 8s, are different than the 10s, 12s, most parts don't interchange.
MF7 with mower weighs 420lbs for the pull start and 455lbs for the Hydro, electric start.

It didn't look like much could be swapped, but I am hoping that I won't need a parts tractor for my 12 anyway. Was just thinkin' maybe I might need something from it someday.

The only stuff thats interchangable is the plastic dash,nose piece,and maybe some knobs.

I am glad I got the hood lever knob anyway. My dashpiece has a crack on the inside not visible but that one was broken much worse.

Why not pick up the 7 and restore it! they are a nice little mower and you can always pick up a deck elsewhere.

I can't see paying roughly $120 to $140 for what is there, then the expenses of restoration on top of that. If it was under 50 bucks it may be something to consider, but finding a deck may be next to impossible around here.

Thanks---DAC

Edited by MFDAC, May 01, 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 04:59 AM

I thought I would never find a deck for mine but got one last fall and there was another one for sale recently. Even without a deck they make a good small tractor for kids or for hauling a cart. Very easy to handle with a tight turning radius. I know what you mean though. I have an 8 and when the restoration is complete I will try to sell it or trade it for a larger tractor that i can restore. I really need a GT rather than an LT.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:10 PM

I thought I would never find a deck for mine but got one last fall and there was another one for sale recently. Even without a deck they make a good small tractor for kids or for hauling a cart. Very easy to handle with a tight turning radius. I know what you mean though. I have an 8 and when the restoration is complete I will try to sell it or trade it for a larger tractor that i can restore. I really need a GT rather than an LT.

Yes a deck could turn up, or maybe the blade or snowblower for my 12 could fit, but it still boils down to the purchase price to start with. It just looks too rough to justify 120-140 bucks, even tho it looks 99% complete not including attachments.

Later---DAC

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:47 PM

I forget how you guys pay much less for tractors than we do up here. It seems like people are asking twice as much for tractors locally. I've seen 3 or 4 8's for sale this spring up here and several 10's. There is one guy who has a basket case 14 that he's trying to sell for the reduced price of 1000$. That's right, a grand for a tractor that's half put together and he can't even guarantee all the parts are there. Only a deck for attachments. He bought it and then lost interest in putting it back together. I'd like to have a 14 but that price is totally out to lunch.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#9 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 07:11 PM

I forget how you guys pay much less for tractors than we do up here. It seems like people are asking twice as much for tractors locally. I've seen 3 or 4 8's for sale this spring up here and several 10's. There is one guy who has a basket case 14 that he's trying to sell for the reduced price of 1000$. That's right, a grand for a tractor that's half put together and he can't even guarantee all the parts are there. Only a deck for attachments. He bought it and then lost interest in putting it back together. I'd like to have a 14 but that price is totally out to lunch.

Wow I suppose that 35 cents a pound for GT's is a smokin' deal to you then! I guess the deals I got on my tractors spoiled me too compared to the prices you are talking about.

20 years ago I traded 250 bucks worth of signwork for my MF8E with a bad engine and last July I paid 250 cash for my MF12 with attachments. The seller of the MF12 is a good friend and he had it advertised in a local paper for $350 and he got no calls. He offered it to me once, and I declined. Then I realized the error of my ways before some one else got it. I guess my point is here in western South Dakota these tractors aren't worth much more than the $250 to $350 range in decent running condition. That makes it real difficult to spend $120-$140 for a very rough probably non running MF7.

I did not get time to go back out there and take some pics over the weekend.

Thanks for your perspective on this!---Later---DAC

Edited by MFDAC, May 08, 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#10 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hello again,

I finally remembered to take my camera while at the junkyard yesterday so here are a couple of pics.

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Junkyard trucks 002.jpg
  • Junkyard trucks 003.jpg