11 replies to this topic

#1 PH78 OFFLINE  

PH78

• Member No: 699
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 07:13 AM

Hi

I've found an MF 12 that appears to be in good shape (I'm going to see her run on the weekend).
Here's the ad,
Massey Ferguson #12 lawn tractor - Ottawa Home/Garden Items For Sale - Kijiji Ottawa
MY question is about the price, seems like $1250 is pretty high.
I know its hard to say from a picture but am I wrong here?
Thanks

#2 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 636 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 07:38 AM

welcome.....Looks like a nice machine, it looks like it has a restoration........ i think the price is a bit high........depends on how things work, how it runs and how bad you want it......My MF10 cost me $100, but it needed work......and paint......and I just at the right place at the right time.

Posted Image

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 07:52 AM

Seems pricey to me. With it being restored and if it was done properly it should net a higher dollar. If it doesn't need anything and the restoration looks like it was done properly and with a snow blower I wouldn't pay more then maybe $800. Like Poncho said it all depends how bad you want it. If you don't want to spend that much and don't mind doing your own work then I would look for a cheaper score that is restorable.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 09:19 AM

Pretty decent paint laid down on it, but like George said...too high. The muffler front has been patched, and seat is not what you'd expect for past top dollar. Great overall machine, but just too high.

#5 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 02:18 PM

yea, thats high. I pay an average of 150-275 per tractor or so. I think 700-800 would be pretty fair.

#6 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 03:09 PM

i've been around tractors for a long time and that price seems about $400-$500 too high to me.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 03:44 PM

A little high, but a nice looking tractor.
:welcometogttalk:

Edited by mjodrey, June 25, 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#8 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 05:02 PM

Looks like a nice tractor,but not a $1200 tractor. I would expect a more meticulous restoration for that money. The weld on the muffler patch could have been ground down to look less conspicuous and the muffler has gray over spray on it. The fuel line, battery cable, and belts have gray paint on them and shouldn't. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, many of us don't have time to be that picky but for $1200 I would expect a more through job. It looks like it may have been prettied up just to sell. You could take a look at it and leave your # with an offer, if he wants to sell it he's gonna have to take less.

Edited by broken2, June 25, 2010 - 05:35 PM.

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 06:47 PM

Where about's are you at, I have a MF12G for sale for $400. in Markham Ont.
Comes with a mower deck.

Attached Thumbnails

• masseys 050..jpg
  • masseys 051..jpg
  • masseys 052..jpg

#10 PH78 OFFLINE  

PH78

• Member No: 699
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 29, 2010 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for all the opinions, you have a very valuable resource here with so many knowledgeable contributors.
After seeing it I had to walk away, the deck had an old patch job the was rusting through (painted over nicely though) and I had trouble keeping it in second when I took it for a spin. The snowblower was in better shape, very light use, nicely painted and turned easily. The chute tuning needed some attention and the drive belt was missing.
I couldn't bring myself to offer half his asking price. (Also he had a yard full of restored Massey Harris tractors and a number of hand built scale and full size reproductions, very fun to walk around, but moving the little MF12 wasn't really a priority)

DH1, I'm in Kemptville, near ottawa, so delivery would be an issue, but if you have space on a trailer an you're coming this way let me know (and send some pictures of the deck)
Thanks again

#11 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted June 29, 2010 - 07:58 AM

I think you did right to walk away. For the asking price it wouild have had to be in excellent condition with no issues. For what it was and what needed to be done with it yet, the 500.00 to 600.00 range would have been more in the ballpark.

#12 bobl OFFLINE  

bobl

• Contributor
  • Member No: 55
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 29, 2010 - 10:02 PM

PH78, I'm not far from you, just west of Perth. I bought my 1650 from a guy near Kemptville last year, pretty darn rough looking but running OK and basically solid, came with a good deck, 3 point hitch, rusted out snowblower and a good (but noisy) hard cab, & I paid $1000 for it. Now that was my first foray into this realm, so I didn't know much, but from what I've seen since you're not easily gonna find the kind of deals around here that the guys are getting down in the US. Also tractors like these don't come up for sale too often around here, (though the 8-10-12 line is more common than the 1450-1650+ group). So yeah, this one may be a tad high and you might find a better deal but you'll have to either be real patient or willing to go further...