daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:02 PM

That is sad news for some American jobs.
Thanks for posting the link.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:16 PM

That is regrettable! So the only American made Briggs will be the V twins. Second source Chinese manufacture of horizontal shaft engines. That sounds like the Chinese Honda clones that we see all over now. The problem is some of those engines are built better than others but you can't tell by looking at them because all the manufacturers work from the same basic design. Some of them only last a few hundred hours.

#4 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:57 PM

It is sad That these companies only care about continued growth every quarter. They make so much money as it is! But they are never happy unless they have continued growth. My last 2 companies moved over seas. both companies were making more money than ever. I could go on forever on this, but there is no point. Everything is fueled by greed today. And our Government let's it happen. So Sad :(
  • maxedout said thank you

#5 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 01:06 AM

Another step in the march toward throw away stuff!

We have had this discussion several times and it is a common topic on the machinist boards as well. More and more things are made for a limited service life, then thrown away. Very inefficient!

Recent example - my pressure washer pump let go last week- a Generac with a Briggs "consumer" engine (so this is on topic.... :thumbs: ). The unloader stuck. Hidden behind a PLASTIC plug that won't come out of the aluminum. Once I drill out the plug, the unloader rebuild kit is $40.00 msrp. Or I can get a chinese sealed complete pump for $70 on Ebay. My original pump lasted 10 years, I doubt the cheap clone will last as long! If I had to pay somebody to do the repair, labor costs would force me to the cheap replacement pump- good think I can fix my own stuff!

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now and go rebuild my old iron block Kohler k341 so it can last for another 30 years or so - eat your heart out Briggs and Stratton!!!

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 04:20 AM

Good luck Briggs, your gonna need it!
I love it when they bench mark the mid 2K's as the best years for sales, yeah...... And that is why were in poop we are in now!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:03 AM

Is Kohler still making it's engines in The USA. They must be the only big name left doing that. Most of the generators you see have clone engines now. I read somewhere that they are only designed to last for a couple of hundred hours. The v twin Briggs will still be made here probably because of the market for lawn tractors, many of which have v twins in them. It's only a matter of time before the twins start arriving from China by the boatload.

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:44 AM

Many of the golf course mowers are also powered by B&S twins so perhaps companies like Toro and Jacobsen where involved in making the decision to keep making them in the US.

While it is sad to see them moving to China for some of their products, consumers share in blame since price is one of the most important things many consider when making a purchase. Plus how many of us have ever turned down a raise?

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:06 AM

While it is sad to see them moving to China for some of their products, consumers share in blame since price is one of the most important things many consider when making a purchase. Plus how many of us have ever turned down a raise?
That is SOOOOO SPOT ON!
I try my hardest to buy American made goods, but it is getting very difficult, not because it is too danged exspensive, it just doesn't exist . Very sad.....

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:08 AM

That's too bad. Jobs lost, and more throw away junk coming down the pipe.
I've just finished rebuilding 2 Kohler K341s. I've got another one to do, and I'm going
to start snatching up any more K engines I can find.

#11 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 11:20 AM

Does anyone else remember the days of Japanese junk? Taiwanese junk? It's not so junky or cheap anymore, and the same things were said at that time.

#12 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 12:03 AM

Japan made a good product even when we called it junk and I do remember Taiwan products being called junk but they made a quality product. When China entered the scene their products was and is and are hit and miss. They're more concerned with bottom line and profit than to concern themselves with making a quality product.

I worked with machines made in Japan for 30 years or more. The Chinese made a clone of the Japanese machines, I've never seen such a cobbled together much of metal and electronics! These machines appeared to be exactly the same but the you couldn't interchange a single part. Nothing fit as nothing was the same, yep it looked just like the original but man the machining was so far off the spare parts wouldn't even fit.

We used to have to dig through a parts box, no bins with Chinese parts, just a huge box of junk. You dug through it in hopes you might find a part that fit. Even ordering parts was a nightmare! Oh, something else, the Chinese machines each had a cartoon on the front. Now this was something painted on at the factory. Each machine had it's on Cartoon, We always said yea, they're making fun of us and this is the junk and this is what they think about stupid greedy Americans. To think they took millions of jobs making crappy junk textile machines!

If you sit down and take 10 Honda Clone engines, take each one a part and start measuring and trying to interchange parts. I would almost betcha you would have troubles. I would also bet one will be a good engine, while 5 of them would be a fair engine and the rest would be nothing but junk. I would also bet if you unloaded all 10 on the same day at least one would be cracked or damaged and still sold to you, knowing it was cracked and damaged.

B&S is just another example of Corporate Greed and you know it's no wonder Teddy Roosevelt did his best to pass laws to prevent corporations from growing to large and doing exactly what they're doing to America today. He knew even way back then what Corporations would do to America given half the chances and you know he was right.

Americans really need to stop this and stop allowing our jobs and our products to be hacked off for nothing but greed. You know something else? Not a day goes by you do not see an ADD about Going Green and we're not talking JD green either. Every day I see commercials on the tv about going green and saving our environment. Well isn't making a product that's designed to break in a month or week a waste of the earths resources?

Making junk just to sale more junk seems to me a waste of energy and natural resources from oil to metals and electrical. Seems to me it covers the entire categories from a-z in waste. It would also seem to me being our government is preaching go Green it would also see to it that any products made in this country would be made to last as long as possible in order to protect the environment and save our resources. It would also make it very difficult on those Chinese importers selling crappy products in our country. Another words either make it right or find yourselves another place to push your products.

The reason for the large fonts and bold print, I am as blind as a bat! I have misplaced my glasses guys and I am sorry!

Edited by maxedout, May 02, 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#13 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 01:19 AM

That is SOOOOO SPOT ON!
I try my hardest to buy American made goods, but it is getting very difficult, not because it is too danged exspensive, it just doesn't exist . Very sad.....

Way too many people forget the part that I bolded above. The vast majority of the consumers are just flat out unwilling to pay for quality. So, manufacturers build to a 'price point', which means that the quality/longevity of the product is not going to be all that good. Then the consumers demand an even lower price. At that point the manufacturer has already gone as low as he can with materials, and now to save enough to sell it at what the consumer is willing to pay he has to cut down on labor costs, and that means going overseas where labor cost is less. Then they cry about the bad quality, poor longevity, loss of American jobs, and blame the 'greedy' manufacturers when they should be looking in the mirror and blaming the person that they see there.

Let's look at an example. I have a 1967/68 Bolens dealer price list.

On it, the Bolens 1050, a no-frills, gear driven, 10 Hp tractor is listed at $939.00. When you consider inflation that would be $6,189.63 in today's money.

I got that number using the inflation calculator you can find here: http://www.bls.gov/d..._calculator.htm

Now, how many people do you know that are willing to buy a no-frills gear driven tractor with a 42" mower at $6.000.00+, even knowing that it will still be mowing for 40+ years?

For that matter, how many of you would be willing to pay $6.000.00 for a NOS, still in the shipping crate Bolens 1050?

I have a 1971 Bolens 1886 which new, retailed for a little over $2,000.00. That was close to a new car price in 1971. To get the same quality/longevity today you will have to step up to a CUT, which if you look at the prices, are still in the 'close to a new car' price.

You can have one or the other... low prices, which will mean low quality, or high quality which will mean high prices.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the American consumers choose the low prices.
  • TUDOR and Orangeman05 have said thanks

#14 Orangeman05 OFFLINE  

Orangeman05

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 917
  • 16 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Is Kohler still making it's engines in The USA. They must be the only big name left doing that.

If I remember correctly, only the Kohler Command series is still US made. The lower Kohler Courage V-twins and singles are now made in China.

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 05:51 AM

A lot of this is caused by to much Government regulation. True we need some regulation, but by the time companies have to deal with EPA, OSHA, IRS, Labor Unions, Workers Comp Ins, and a dozen other agencies, it's a wonder more companies don't move overseas.

Boeing wanted to build a new plant in NC and the Unions and Government filed suit, and tried to stop it. Boeing was trying to cut costs by doing this, and it cost them in the long run.

We had a Coal Mine go bankrupt up home, so the bank was left to recover the land. The State had a Million Dollar Bond from the Coal Mine, they made the bank plants trees, and then went out and counted the trees and told the bank the trees were in the places and made them move some of the trees. The bank had to build a pond on the land and the State made them move the pond 3 times. Finally the Bank decided to forfeit the bond. It was costing them to much money to comply with the State.

So regulation is good, but to much ruins everything.