drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Why not just a lock washer in between the rim and weight ,that should stay tight.

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 04:45 PM

I don't see what the great debate is, because with wheel weight mounting you want cheap and easy. I used the 12/2 Copper and I cranked the bolts I used tight, and they will not loosen up without a wrench because I used lock washers on them. I have to say all I hear is "What if they loosen" and I have been using 1/2" carriage bolts with lock washers and tightening them like I mean it. I understand you don't want rim damage, but you also have to remember, that half the reason they get damaged is sloppy installation work. If you get the bolts tightened, the weights won't move, therefore the can not scratch the rim from moving (except during installation and removal). Steve (Caseguy) mounts his weights with the wheels off and then bolts the wheel to the tractor, which would prevent damage as well. I do have to say one more thing regarding weights. If you are adding weight than I assume you expect to be using the tractor. If that is the case, than you will scratch other parts of the tractor too, starting with the hood more than likely (trust me on that). I believe that you can always have a nice work tractor, you just have to not be afraid of a scratch. And if you restore to use it, than make the most of those scratches, because it will need more character markings lol. Good luck, and don't make mounting the weights into a three ring circus act.

#18 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:02 PM

Gee Casey, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!
  • MH81 said thank you

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Gee Casey, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

Troy, I know it reads somewhat harsh, but there are only so many ways to bolt a wheel weight on a rim, and NONE of them guarantee ZERO rim damage, just reduced. But seriously, how can we worry about the rim and never once concern ourselves with floorboard scratches, or worse, the paint wearing off the pedals. And we can't forget, if you tow a cart, that pretty hitch will get all the paint scratched right off of it. You have to ask yourself, how worried can you be about a scratch on a rim from a wheel weight?? What would be the difference with a hubcap, now there is a scratch and a half compared to a wheel weight. And besides, as soon as you mount or dismount a tire you scuff the bead, and then you bolt that wheel on the tractor, and if not careful the socket wrench will scratch the rim paint. We rarely think twice about all of those scratches...
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#20 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Will you certainly know how to ask a good question.

The best way to prevent rim damage, scratches from wheel weights is DO NOT put wheel weights on.

Load the tires with LIQUID ballast and you have your extra weight with no RIM damage.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Life's too short to worry about rim scratches with a "worker" tractor. So I stick with what I already said....mount them tight & forget it! Till the weights come off, there will be no scratches to see.

#22 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 05:21 AM

I don't worry about scratches on any of my stuff, heck just loading and unloading for show will scratch the paint.