IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hours spent, cleaning/sanding/preping/ painting those rims.
Now it's time to put the weights on.
But they'll scratch the paint, and all that work, will be for not.

Anyone have any ideas, on how to stop the scratching/wearing of the paint on the
rims?

Just a thought, i'm going to try soon, is to brush on liquid electrical tape, on the contact surfaces of the weight.
Might act as a gasket, well enough, and save the paint job.

Thoughts?

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:38 PM

I don't think there's all that much you can do Will. Anything between the weights will be mashed tight, causing damage to the paint in one way or another. I decided not to worry about such things, as the weights stay on mine once put on anyway.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#3 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Maybe some 1/8" sheet plastic, cut to fit, between the weight & rim! ~~ Lowell

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:50 PM

I had the same problem for the electric Massey before I put the weights on, couldn't figure a way to protect the rim from the weight so I just put them on for good. Only going to take them off if the wheel has to come off for some reason or I get a better set of weights.

Put them on and leave them there Will.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:06 PM

I'd just grease the wheel surface and that will prevent rust if they dig into the wheel anywhere. If this is going to be a working tractor then it's regrettably going to get scuffed anyway sooner or later. If it's for show then they don't need to be super tight so you could probably use a gasket.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:54 PM

I have thought about this before, didn't think of anything. I will be interested to see what comes of this thread.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:24 PM

What about mounting the weights on the inside of the wheel? Or do they have a solid center? Door weatherstrip tape?

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:27 PM

I solved a different problem during wheel weight mounting that actually might solve your problem. I needed the inner wheel weights on the Caterpillar to be spaced off just a smidge because the center hole of the weight was touching the wheel center right before the outter edges would seat properly. After looking around I noticed the electrical wire scrap box and went for it. Using 12/2 house wire (the flat stuff) and cut it and shaped it around the seating surface of the rim/weight. I noticed that you could then slide the weight around to get it positioned where the holes line up and it didn't seem to make metal to metal contact. You could try it and see, I think it is very plausible in being like a gasket.

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:33 PM

What about using the 1/4" packaging styrofoam that UPS uses in shipping fragile items? I know you can get it in sheets, so you can cut it to rough size, mount the weight, and then trim what isn't being used, or to the point where you don't see it.

#10 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 08:15 AM

How about cutting pipe to length sliding it over the mounting bolts so the weight tightens up on the pipe/spacer instead of the wheel. Make them the correct length so the wheel is just away from the wheel or just touching the wheel and then use a gasket of some sort between the weight and the wheel. I still think you'll have rubbing if the weight touches the wheel no matter what you do.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#11 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'd just grease the wheel surface and that will prevent rust if they dig into the wheel anywhere. If this is going to be a working tractor then it's regrettably going to get scuffed anyway sooner or later. If it's for show then they don't need to be super tight so you could probably use a gasket.

With all due respect, I don't think I would use grease as it would attract and hold dirt.

Edited by tinner, May 01, 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#12 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi Will
If those are Massey 2 piece weights I believe they only contact the wheel near the bolt hole. You could use a fiber or rubber washer of so sort between the weight and the wheel. This should at least minimize any damage.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 10:24 AM

With all due respect, I don't think I would use grease as it would attract and hold dirt.

I'd grease between the weight and wheel and wipe off any that would be unsightly. There shouldn't be much chance of dirt buildup. I prefer dirt to rust any day.

#14 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'd grease between the weight and wheel and wipe off any that would be unsightly. There shouldn't be much chance of dirt buildup. I prefer dirt to rust any day.

Grease is a lubricant and it creeps. Over time, it's going to attract and hold dirt to a fairly large area creating a grinding compound which will eventually sand through the paint if there is even microscopic movement of the weights. Since the weights will be mounted on the lubricant, either that movement is pretty much guarranteed, or the paint will be crushed and damaged anyway from overtightening the bolts.

Ducky's solution is a better option in my experience. I mounted the visor on my truck using rubber stick on pads and there was no damage to the paint over 6 years. Fiberglass visors do vibrate at highway speeds, but the rubber keeps the grit out of the contact area.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 03:57 PM

There may be better solutions but I can testify to this method working. I used it when I attached the weight brackets to the rims of my x475. They were on there for 3 years and never moved during that time . The rims were undamaged when I removed the brackets. I have a larger version of those brackets on my 2320 with 175lbs /wheel on them and they have never loosened due to the grease. I just hate to see rust on my equipment.
If you use a rubber or fibre washer to mount the weights and there is a small surface area you will crush the washers and have trouble keeping the weights tight. A soft material like rubber would work where there is a large surface area to allow enough force to be applied without deforming or crushing the gasket.