#1 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 11:25 AM

I'm trying to clean up some steering wander in my 318 and I decided to check the toein. It was way off. I had noticed that the tie rod was curved up, about 1.5 inches (see attached picture). I looked at the diagram at jdparts.com and at some for sale on the internet, and they all appear to be straight.

So I'm thinking mine should be straight. Can anyone out there verify, one way or the other?SAM_0397.JPG

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 03:58 PM

hg, Those are supposed to be straight. That will help the toe in problem you have. Good Luck..

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 04:51 PM

Yikes, looks like someone dinged that. You should be able to straighten that if you have a vise. It almost looks like someone backed over something or maybe the deck mount somehow got pushed up into it.

#4 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thanks to both of you. I was pretty sure it was supposed to be straight. I took it off today, and indeed used my vice to straighten it, put it back on and adjusted the toe in. A test drive around the lawn went pretty well, but the real test will be the next lawn mowing.

The bend apparently led to two wear spots, one pretty bad, so I'm thinking of getting a new rod anyway. Prices I've seen are about $27 or $28.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Have you tried our site sponsors to see if they can lower that price a bit. A used one that is unmolested would do the job just fine.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 08:14 PM

One that small a diameter is almost always straight. A curved one takes a larger diameter to keep from bowing even further under a heavy steering load. Also, once bent, they tend to do it easier again. An easy fix is to get a piece of steel plumbing pipe just large enough to slide over the existing tie rod, leaving about 1/4" play on both ends, or 1/2" total play. This gives room for adjustment later if needed, but will stop the rod from bowing.

#7 coopduc OFFLINE  

coopduc

• Member No: 4419
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:35 PM

I just checked...mine is bent too. Must be a common problem. I'll have to straighten it out over the weekend.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:25 PM

When I first read this thread I thought I remembered that the one on my 318 was curved too but I wasn't sure until today when I was changing the oil . I didn't buy this new but it's been like that for 26 years that I've owned it , it's a 1983 so they might have changed them through the years Al

Attached Thumbnails

• P5090554.JPG

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:11 PM

When I first read this thread I thought I remembered that the one on my 318 was curved too but I wasn't sure until today when I was changing the oil . I didn't buy this new but it's been like that for 26 years that I've owned it , it's a 1983 so they might have changed them through the years Al

I would check for toe-in. You may have toe-out.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Looking at the picture again ,it might be made that way for belt clearance in case the front axle pivots into a hole , just a guess , Al

#11 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Good Morning All:

Probably much to do about not very much, as I often say. Anyway, I picked up a used one on eBay last nigjt, shipping was more than my winning bid. Another couple of thoughts:
- I haven't seen any curved ones offered anywhere, and there's only one part # for the tierod at JDparts
- Nothing in the toein adjustment instructions talk about keeping the curve up after adjustments
- I did have a pretty bad wear spot on the right top side of the rod, just an inch or so under the frame.

I'll see how good a shape the eBay one is in, and most likely put it on.