• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Ok guy's I removed the flywheel and cleaned the contacts on both the mag and the wheel so now I have the proper spark but still no run? So the next place to look is the carb. It looks like there is a home made gasket on the bowl and its seeps fuel but imo it still should run after cleaning out the bowl and following the instructions for settings. The engine will pop but not start? She is sneezing out the carb

Take out the spark plug and spray a bit of carb cleaner in the hole and see if it will run. If it starts up and runs for about 3 seconds and quits then you know its the carb and not something else like a timing issue.

#17 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 07:00 PM

The engine will pop but not start? She is sneezing out the carb

There are several possible causes for backfiring thru the carb:

a sticking/stuck intake valve;

insufficient intake valve clearance;

ignition out of time, requiring points to be set accurately;

valve timing incorrect (if engine was apart);

or, possibly a broken camshaft.

#18 schoust OFFLINE  

schoust

• Member No: 3056
  • 1 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 05:33 PM

Plug does appear to be drier than it should be? The points are set correctly @ 20 thous. I have had the carb apart and all is well there as far as I can see.I have also tried a small amount of starting fluid to no avail so with nowhere else to go I think its time to pull the head and see whats happening. Are the parts available like valves and such? I really like the Wisconon engine but I am thinking a possible repower may be in order if I can't get the parts. Anyone done this? If so whats a populer engine that others use as a replacment?
Thanks

#19 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 05:41 PM

If the tractor is not running at all even after you tried some starting fluid in the spark plug hole then you definitely have some sort of timing/ compression issue , and the carb is not looking to be your problem.

Parts are still available for these engines. Your not going to find a better engine today that compares to a Wisconsin so I would try and keep it original.

I'd pull off the head and inspect your valves/ clearances. You may be lucky and just have a stuck valve.

#20 schoust OFFLINE  

schoust

• Member No: 3056
  • 1 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Ok so I am going to pull the head on this engine is there any particuler procedure that is recamended? Who has the rhead gasket's and anyting that I might need for a decent price? I will need the torque specs once I put the head back on where can these be found?
Thanks again