Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips, how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Cub Cadet Yellow Spray Paint

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6157
  • 193 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 12:44 AM

Hi Guys, I am sorting through some cub cadet parts and would like to order some spray paint to clean up some of these items.

What is a good quality spray paint that I can order online or purchase locally? This would be for the Cub Cadet 125 and 127 models.

Thank you in advance.

- Mark

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1448.jpg
  • IMAG1447.jpg

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,000 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 05:07 AM

I buy the paint from Tactor Supply.
  • markdombroski said thank you

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• Member No: 5951
  • 991 Thanks
  • 1,433 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 09:31 AM

I have bought paint from Napa and Tractor Supply. Napa has higher quality but Tsc paint is good stuff too. They should be painted Federal Yellow. From my expierence the Napa federal yellow is a darker yellow than Tsc's federal yellow.

#4 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6157
  • 193 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 09:34 AM

I have bought paint from Napa and Tractor Supply. Napa has higher quality but Tsc paint is good stuff too. They should be painted Federal Yellow. From my expierence the Napa federal yellow is a darker yellow than Tsc's federal yellow.

Thank you! There are a few NAPA stores in my neighborhood. Also, any thoughts on what color to use on the mower decks? Kind of an off-white.

- M

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,000 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 11:47 AM

TSC has the Cub off white, but I just used white on mine.

#6 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• Member No: 5951
  • 991 Thanks
  • 1,433 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 09:01 PM

The decks should be painted International Harvester white. It's kind of a creamy white. It's readily available at TSC too.

#7 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 660 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 09:31 PM

I like the paint from TSC, also.

#8 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 28 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Has anyone ever used Krylon's " Farm & Implement " paint? Thats what I went with since I'm usin rattlecans. lol Tractor Supply is a lil bit of a drive 4 me. I tried that valspar in a can , and didnt like it. All 3 cans I bought would not spray very good. it was horrible! I found out if you swap the tip with another " I used one from a rustoleum" it sprays ok. After lookin around I picked up a few cans of the krylon farm & imp. " old equipment yellow " and it looks like a almost exact match. I only paint a peice or two at a time unless its a bunch of small peices. Once I 'm happy with the peice I'm workin on then I move on. I found out if I try to do many at once I end \up gettin in ma hurry and it starts feelin like work & not fun. I'm not a exp. painter / bodyman but if you do take ur time preppin it and follow the directions you really can get a nice finish from a rattle can. Also I let them cure as long as possible b4 I shrinkwrap & box em up. I was putting a coat or two of wax on them b4 I boxed them up , then I thought maybe not a good idea ,incase I have to touch it up. lol i know I've went through quite a few cans and not even close to bein done. between paint & primer 17-20 cans. lol

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,093 Thanks
  • 5,118 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I think I used caterpillar yellow on mine. My uncle works at H.O. penn so I would just get it from him. The local cub dealer by me has "genuine cub cadet yellow."

#10 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3438
  • 718 Thanks
  • 960 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 10:01 PM

If you are trying to match the old paint and have a CaseIH dealer nearby I would get the paint there, (if you are looking for it to be the proper shade). The paints from TSC are a different shade then the regular paint IH used. The yellow color is considered "Federal Yellow" and the color from TSC is a little bit more tan than the IH paint which is more yellow. I found this out when doing the deck on my 73. The tractor is painted in federal yellow from CASEIH and the deck guards are painted with TSC federal yellow. The difference is noticable on the finished tractor.

If you are a purist and want to get real technical about it there are actually 2 shades of federal yellow that were used on both your 125 and 127. They could have had either 483 yellow or 483B yellow. As for the white paint IH used 3 different colors of white throughout the run of cub cadets. The paint numbers from IH for white were 901, 902, and 935. Your 125 would have used 902 only on it. Your 127 on the other hand could have used 902 or 935 white on it. The serial number on your tractor would determine what shade of color it left the factory with whenit was new.

The serial number breakdown for paint is as follows

901 white used serial number 501-218009
902 white used serial number 218010-375938
935 white used serial number 375939-756299

483 yellow used serial number 501-335967
and also on serial numbers 562955-664996

483B yellow used serial number 335968-562954

If you are not concerned as much with getting the exact color then I would say go ahead and use the TSC paint. I have used it in the past and it is allright paint to use and holds up O.K. Biggest problems I ever had with it is the IH red fades REAL easy.

Edited by IHCubGuy, May 01, 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3438
  • 718 Thanks
  • 960 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Has anyone ever used Krylon's " Farm & Implement " paint? Thats what I went with since I'm usin rattlecans. lol After lookin around I picked up a few cans of the krylon farm & imp. " old equipment yellow " and it looks like a almost exact match. i know I've went through quite a few cans and not even close to bein done. between paint & primer 17-20 cans. lol

Can't say I ever used that color on any. If it works and your happy thats what matters most above all. As for rattle can usage those quantities to finish a job is why I invested in a spray gun. One quart of paint goes a LONGGGG way on a garden tractor with a spray gun.

#12 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 28 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 10:19 PM

Can't say I ever used that color on any. If it works and your happy thats what matters most above all. As for rattle can usage those quantities to finish a job is why I invested in a spray gun. One quart of paint goes a LONGGGG way on a garden tractor with a spray gun.

Oh yeah I'm sure it does , I'm kinda wishin I would have invested in a gun myself. I'm sure it would turn out alot better , more durable with a hardner added. Like I said, I've never used one,would probably have wasted more and caused more work for myself until I got it dialed in,figured out. lol maybe on the next one I do I'll pick one up and do a lil practice. As far as the yellow paint goes. I'm by far no purist lol. My main thing was I just wanted somthng close to a match I could get, sprayed easy " as easy as you can get from a can " & not have to drive 30 mins or longer to go buy it. Oreilys is 5 min. away, its under $6.00 / can looks pretty good and I know they always keep atleast 2 on the shelf and I have asked them to get more then 2 on there delivery day.

#13 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 653 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Most of my work is "restify and repair for use" not restore, so I really don't have anything new to add. I've used TSC because its handy and competitively priced. I dream of one day restoring the Panzer and a couple of my Cubs along with a couple old trucks i have. That is when I'll look into better paint systems.