• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 07:22 PM

I still plan on being there and am saving the American Express card to make it. I need to get the Brinly 12' plow hooked to the back of the 140 and make sure it can pull it. I sure hope you don't have any of that red clay up at Ft. Knox in your fields.

None of that red clay here. I've suffered from that Fort Knox clay years ago....37 years ago actually. Motorcycle hair scramble on the tank ranges deep in the woods. Came a big rain just after the start, and that clay stuck to the tires to where it would lock the wheel & kill the engine! Spent a couple hours all together with a stick getting the mud out of the back end so I could finally make it back to load & go home!
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#107 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 08:38 PM

None of that red clay here. I've suffered from that Fort Knox clay years ago....37 years ago actually. Motorcycle hair scramble on the tank ranges deep in the woods. Came a big rain just after the start, and that clay stuck to the tires to where it would lock the wheel & kill the engine! Spent a couple hours all together with a stick getting the mud out of the back end so I could finally make it back to load & go home!

Kinda like half frozen peanut butter?

#108 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 09:34 PM

"Kinda like half frozen peanut butter?"

Ya, but it sure don't taste the same, bout the same trouble getting it out of your ears and helmet though when you do a face plant in it !!

#109 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 10:42 AM

I am planning to provide hot dogs, chili, chips and soft drinks for lunch. There's food places 10 miles from here for any other meals, or BYO. I'll also try to have a coffee pot or 2 also.

• caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#110 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:29 PM

The food sounds great! I'm still hoping to make it. Loosing my town job has tightened the belt around here, and prospects are rather slim around these parts, but we ALL need to play some times. Would it be o.k. to have a few items in the back of the p/u for sale while there?
Wife still seems o.k. with the plan. Currently looking at the Air Force Museum in Dayton on the way, also made a deal on a snow blade just into KY near Rt 75. Any natural parks, water-falls etc. within a hour or so of your place? William mentioned Fort Knox, but I was never stationed there and figured between tractors and the Air Force Museum I'm probably pushing the envelope already. Any quilt shops :confuse:

#111 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Feel free to bring for sale items. Not setting anything formal up as to selling, but you guys can try to sell your tractors,parts/etc here no problem. Nothing much to see close to here. Cumberland Falls is a good 2hrs east.
Lincoln's Birthplace is just 10 miles from here. Lincoln's Birthplace Not a big deal to look at, but there is "sinking springs" where Abe's family got their water. The cabin is not all original, although part of it is. Two presidential (birthplace) cabins were bought, one where Abe was born here in LaRue County, and another, then toured with a Circus show. When they were done with them, they ended up in one big pile of logs. So some are Abe's parent's cabin logs, some of where another President was born. That's what was told me by the parks people at Jefferson Davis Monument, less than 2hrs drive to my west in Fairview, Ky.
  • caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse and jpackard56 have said thanks

#112 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:23 PM

I am planning to provide hot dogs, chili, chips and soft drinks for lunch. There's food places 10 miles from here for any other meals, or BYO. I'll also try to have a coffee pot or 2 also.

Milk??
  • MH81 said thank you

#113 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Milk??

If we got caught handing out un-pasturized milk....we get shut down!

#114 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:33 PM

Milk??

Well, if you don't mind it at 101 to 103 degrees, and you bring a clean rag, and are really fast and stealthy...........

(i suggest a lip balm)

#115 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:35 PM

If we got caught handing out un-pasturized milk....we get shut down!

Yes, of course.

Might interest you. This story has been on the news regularily.

http://www.theprovin...7338/story.html
  • olcowhand said thank you

#116 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Now here in Ohio that is true also, even goats milk. And yes there have been some especially nasty court cases. But anybody can get it to feed to their animals....Oh, ya and the Amish around here sell it back and forth without any trouble. Also I've had friends who were told by Dr's to get milk from a local farm for some babies digestive systems. So if it really has e-coli and salmonella and such in it how come it's o.k. to feed to to colicky babies and to animals that we in turn can eat? My own family rarely has store bought milk and we haven't died yet, and in fact generally seem more healthy than the "city milk drinkers" in these parts...My grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, etc. all seemed to live just fine drinking fresh milk ! Maybe the clean common sense handling is more important, and maybe it is just another "follow the buck" as the gov. protects us from ourselves... :confuse:

#117 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 12:03 PM

So if it really has e-coli and salmonella and such in it how come it's o.k. to feed to to colicky babies and to animals that we in turn can eat?

How do you think the babies build a healthy immune system?? :smilewink:

Remember, what doesn't kill them only makes them stronger.

#118 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 06:23 PM

Jim,
I don't remember how many miles south of Daniel's farm the Mammoth Caves park is but it is a great place to visit. Then if you are staying until Monday there is the Corvette plant in Bowling Green. The Patton Museum on Ft Knox has most of the indoor exhibits closed for renovation but the tanks and such outside can still be looked at and climbed on.

When I checked a few months ago the Guesthouse on Ft Knox are still open but being ran by private contractors. Around $90 a night there. I want to drive out to the old tank main gun ranges and the tank driving range where I spent much of my youth.

I am also planning on bringing a few items to help pay for gas. I PMed Daniel about starting a thread about what folks will be bringing and if it is something other is interested in looking at and Daniel said to go ahead with it. I'll get that done now.

Edited by GTTinkerer, August 27, 2012 - 06:24 PM.

• caseguy said thank you

#119 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Oh duh! Forgot about Mammoth Cave! It's about 50 miles south of here, and quite a site to see. Several different tours in various caves.
  • caseguy said thank you

#120 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 07:04 PM

There is also some kind of Dinosaur park south of Daniel on I-65, don't remember the name, but would be interesting for children I'm sure.