525 replies to this topic

#61 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:27 PM

That is a great idea. 8.5 hours is a bit too fat for a one day deal for me, though. I really hope that you have a great event.

#62 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:28 PM

I was thinking about us hanging around late Saturday evening for bull sessions myself. I have to milk the following morning, so I can't stay up too late, maybe midnight latest.

Nah, stay up really late! Then, at 4 am, announce to the group: "It's time to milk! Who wants to help?" Then roll video!!!!!

Edited by Cat385B, July 08, 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#63 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1621
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yes I agree we shouldn't talk about f-i-r-e until we get some rain. My yard is actually a crunchy brown ... The Horsey hasn't got a decent work out yet this summer from a thicket of lush green grass :(

Thanks for the offer. As of now I'm just thinking of when I might get down there and head home ...

The wife was nice enough to grace the trip even though it's on her birthday .... Can't ask for a better wife that understands my addiction. I'll have to do something extra nice for her the weekend before.

#64 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Nah, stay up really late! Then, at 4 am, announce to the group: "It's time to milk! Who wants to help?" Then roll video!!!!!

Scott, while that would surely make for good comedy, the whole idea is to get milk for selling, not terrify & torture the cows! Heck half the cows would likely dry up for good! :rofl2:

#65 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 11:48 AM

Only 94 miles for me and this sure would be a good maiden voyage Plow Day and GT event for me and my little 'bota... now I just have to refurbish my plow or find a decent one!

Put me down if for nothing else as a spectator!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#66 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 12:11 PM

Only 94 miles for me and this sure would be a good maiden voyage Plow Day and GT event for me and my little 'bota... now I just have to refurbish my plow or find a decent one!

Put me down if for nothing else as a spectator!

Please try to come to plow! But come anyway if you can't. I'll have a few tractors here ready, so I think everyone can get a turn.

#67 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 12:31 AM

Scott, while that would surely make for good comedy, the whole idea is to get milk for selling, not terrify & torture the cows! Heck half the cows would likely dry up for good! :rofl2:

I guess what he forgot about is some us came from farms with cows, milked a few of them, and that was without machines to do the easy part. Thank god your not farming goats.

#68 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:38 PM

Whats wrong with milking goats? Seems easier than cows....especially in the kicking department and tail full of you know what in the face is never any fun, course some places dock the cows now...

#69 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:43 PM

I dock my cows, have for 25 years or so. Way better, but you have to use good fly control. But the thing with my cows getting shook up isn't from skill of milkers, but people they don't know. They won't come into the parlor at all if they hear voices or see people they don't recognize.

#70 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 10:31 PM

Now that I understand !! I have a small grass feed cow calf operation and my heard responds very well to my family. I thought I needed help a few years ago loading some young bulls ( about 800 lbs each) It was one of those years where everything kinda got out of control, I'd had knee surgery, etc. etc. Well they didn't get cut when they should have and now they had to go, and I figured I needed to get some help from somebody with "more experience" loading bulls. What a circus, when my experienced man pulled a 45 out and started shooting into the ground to redirect these young bulls my wife jumped in the back of the trailer and ran out the front access door and straight for the house, several of the bulls went right over 6ft high chute panels like deer and I just hung on a gate so dumb founded I couldn't even cuss for several minutes. Now I served in the Navy and one thing is for sure the wife says she and the kids could here me all the way at the house in three languages giving this guy a real ripping !!! Later the kids asked her about "those words" and she didn't even mention to me that she prefers if I didn't use them in front of the kids. I mean to tell you I can feel my blood pressure going up now all these years later just remembering this fiasco.
Needless to say the wife and I calmly loaded that group of bulls in two trips about a week later and ever since we have NEVER asked for help and have even been evasive when anybody wants to know when we are going to load so that they can't stop by and help!!

#71 jimmymc2286 OFFLINE  

jimmymc2286

• Member No: 2540
  • 15 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 12:15 AM

olcowhand,
I got a vtwin 22hp diesel in my wheel horse D160 and tried it out with a plow today. This thing is a beast. Was using a 10" plow but going to break out the 12" for this one. I am going to bring it to your plowday. I also talked to my brother Dennis and he is coming also.

#72 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Well Jimmy, this ground may be the test for your new ride! This ground can be rough & hard, but it's this field that I did the video for my Bush Hog JBI diesel plowing, so it's not that bad.
This field is about 26 acres, but about 15 of it is best for our GT's, with the rest being sloped a bit much. So today I ran the bush hog (mower) over it to cut it close. The corn silage had to be chopped high due to nitrates in the stalk with the dry weather, plus lots of weeds, some tall. We will be applying liquid manure on this ground next week, so I didn't want this long stuff plastered to the ground, which would haunt us come plowing time. The manure will be no issue come plow day, as it's 2 months away. The next field behind this was chopped also, so I will mow about 8 acres of it for plowing also. Then there is 40 more acres which will go to grain next to this (in pics), and I will mow as much down as we will need. May all be mowed by then, but if not I'll have the tractor on standby.

Before mowing:

DSC06159.JPG DSC06158.JPG

Difference after: (BIL Meangreen Fred's place in background)

DSC06162.JPG DSC06163.JPG DSC06165.JPG

The corn stalk stubs are pretty short now & "most" of the whole stalks driven down in turns are chopped up pretty good. I think this will make a good field for plowing, but as I said, may be a bit on the hard side, so I want everyone to know up front. But if I can plow it, you can too.
I sure hope the weather cooperates, as I'm surely looking forward to this!
  • KennyP said thank you

#73 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 06:02 PM

Looks like you're doing a lot of prep work there Daniel.
It'd be real nice, if you tilled it all, and then lightly backdragged a bucket over it, about
a week before the event. :thumbs:

#74 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Looks like you're doing a lot of prep work there Daniel.
It'd be real nice, if you tilled it all, and then lightly backdragged a bucket over it, about
a week before the event. :thumbs:

I think this will have to do Will! Ya have to remember that manure application changes everything! I just want to be sure to have things as good as I can, short of tilling & backdragging! :smilewink:
I've seen many video's of plow day events, and most have nice smooth fields, of which mine is not! I want the place to look good too. 1st impressions are everything they say! :thumbs:
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#75 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'm sure you'll have it all dialed in.
What was the back up day again? In case of bad weather.