10 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Pressure washed the LGT and started checking it out to begin the restoration.

One of my rear rims is rusted pretty bad (structural) and leaking air. I started knocking the rust layers off the rim and it started leaking air it is so thin! Only rusted on 1/3 of the rim - must have sat with grass/junk holding moisture on the metal where stored and causing the rust.

Anyway, I need a new rear rim for a 23x10.5x12 tire. All the LGT series had the same rims correct? What other tractors used the same size/offset rims? Hoping I can find one used (cheap). Anybody have a rim laying around????? :laughingteeth:

Aside from ebay, where are good sources for buying Ford (or Ford compatible) rims?

Also, the tires are shot. I have a set of 23x9.5x12 all trail tires in the shed. As I understand, they are 1 inch narrower than the stock tires. Profile and all are the same. Will I notice a performance difference if
i use these? How much traction difference would the 1 inch narrower tire be? Tempted to put them on for a while and save some money that can go toward other parts in the rebuild... Any opinions?

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 03:49 AM

What is the model # on your LGT? Open or closed side? I know mine (closed side) has a different offset than my Cub and Sears tractors. Earlier models, I don't know about. I would think the 23X9.50's would work okay.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 04:44 AM

I don't believe that you'd notice a difference in traction with the narrower tires. Do you have the tire off of the wheel? If so, what is the overall width of the bead seat? Also what's the back set of the wheel mount on both sides? I have a pile of wheels that may be helpful if you could get those measurements. I could compare them when I get back home, but it will likely be Monday afternoon before I can get to it.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 06:00 AM

Those All Trails are a very nice tire. I've never seen them in that particular size! Overall they are a good compromise between turfs and AG tires. An excellent all purpose tire.

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 03:18 AM

Bolens tube frames are very close, as are the XL series too. They are maybe off by an inch at best. Craftsman rears will also work, but make it either really wide or nice and clean , with the wheels tucked nicely in the fenders.
As for traction, its all in the tread design , these Fords have crazy traction!

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 01:10 PM

Its for a 72-76 LGT 165 open side.
I checked the wheels on my Deere 316 and the offset is WAYYY different!

Caseguy, the bolt plate (welded in the center of the rim where the lug nuts go) is 5.5 inches from the back (tractor) edge of the rim, and 3.75" from the front rim edge. 3" diameter center hole and what looks like a 4 inch, 5 bolt mounting pattern. Not sure if it helps but "Firestone 12 x 8 1/2 JA" is stamped on the rim. Rim width (looking from the front or back) is 9 3/8 wide, with 5 3/4 flat center section, and 1 3/4" apx on each side for the step and lip.Looking at the end of the rim (from the side of tractor) is 13 1/4" overall width, 11 1/2" inside the step, and 10" inner diameter of the rim hub.

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Its a standard 4.5 on 5 and the Deere rims are way wrong! Bolens tube framed rigs will work just fine, that is what are on mine in my avitar.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Caseguy, the bolt plate (welded in the center of the rim where the lug nuts go) is 5.5 inches from the back (tractor) edge of the rim, and 3.75" from the front rim edge...

I have exactly 2 of that size...and I just bought them to put on one of the Horses (they're NOS Wheel Horse wheels). I have 20 or so sets of wheels here and I couldn't believe I didn't have more in that size. Apparently I have A LOT of narrow rims LOL. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

#9 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 12:46 AM

Thanks everybody for the info!

Caseguy, thanks for looking through your stash.

I figured that if I could get a better handle on comperable "donors" I would have a better chance of finding a wheel. Originally had thought about just finding "one" but I guess I can find a workable set and switch both out just as easy.

Once you know what you are looking for, looking (and finding) is half the fun!!!

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 08:21 AM

I don't have what you are looking for either, sorry. What do your 23x9.50-12's look like by the way, any pics?
Good luck on the hunt.

#11 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 09:33 AM

No pics at the moment. They are in storage down in Forida. Came off a Husky or Simplicity lawn tractor that I had bought for parts. The rims are the light duty keyed shaft type, so they won't work, but the tires were in good shape. I'm headed down that way next week, so will check them over again.