sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Started on the T63 transaxle.....the motor is running well so I wanted to have at least one of my BH ready to go. I knew the rear end had an issue when I bought it.....from what I can tell it has one immediate issue and one pending issue.....immediate issue the gear on the differential has several broken teeth so it will have to be replaced (note my D4-7 had the same issue -but it came with a new replacement gear)- (D4-7 and the T-63 are basically the same transaxle- the D4-7 has a PTO....the T63 does not)

The second problem is one of the axles is deveoping a stress crack on the end by the woodruff keys....will not be long before it breaks as well. The previous owner had given me a box of parts etc when i bought the T63....another broken axle was in the box....I have posted a picture for those who want to see where they break.....anyone that is having the same issues...please share your info and if you found parts where?

I have also taken a picture of the broken gear......the sympton was the rear it would catch...then release...I had tried not to move it any more than I had too .....trying to reduce any damage it was causing......

I have bought an extra T63 and now hoping that I can salvage some of these parts out of it..........

I suspect both of these parts were weak links with these GT's........

Any suggestions on how I should proceed would be appreciated.....I am considering trying to put the D4-10 axles in this one ....I suspect I would have to change the bearings and seals in the axle tube but may end up with a stronger rear end.....from what I can tell the weak link on the D4-10 rear end was the cluster gears.....here are a few pictures....

Attached Thumbnails

• brokenaxlest63.JPG
  • brokenaxlewith2more axles.JPG
  • reardifferentialcloseupt63.JPG
  • reardifferentialdamaged.JPG
  • T63rearendinsidepiniongear.JPG
  • reardifferentialwithbrokentabs.JPG

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Not ever being into my T-63, I have no idea as to interchangeability of the axles from the D4-10. The pic with the 2 axles still in the housings...the upper one appears to only have one key, while the other and the broken one have 2? Also, the top one appears to have 2 different size threads on it's stub end??
The good thing in the pic, as it appears, the pinion gear is relatively unscathed.

#3 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 07:48 PM

Daniel, you are correct....the axle with the two different thread sizes I believe was altered/machined to make it fit- probably was the replacement for the broken one in the pictures. I have pulled the axles from the D4-7 and they are the same...I found one of the axles for the D4-7 is slightly different but if you looked at them quickly you would think they were exact copies. I know the axles are different for the D4-10 because they changed the part numbers on it while the 7 and 63 have the same part number.....I am betting the axle on the d4-10 is beefier at the wheel end but the same size on the differential end. The pinion gear has some wear but I am thinking it is fine....if not I do have a NOS pinion gear that was in the parts I bought from Jack. Both seals were shot so I will be ordering these......got my carb kits from Bob so will be rebuilding the carbs tomorrow.
Another thing I am going to check is how 'true' these axles are......I am suspecting they are bent but not 100% sure......I am wondering if this again was a design issue that later on was fixed on the D4-10......
thanks