• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have been given the project of developing a "Farm and Garden Equipment Restoration" class to be included in the next years County Youth show. What I need is some ideas on how to break up the classes. I also could use any info from other places around the U.S. I did this type of thing 30+ years ago in IN., but we only did Farm Tractors. I want to try to get a lot of the kids around here into GTs, because of their size, cost and ease of storage. I am going to look at the rules and guidelines that the FFA uses also.

Any help I can get to throw into this I will really appreciate.

Thanks in Advance.....

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 06:11 PM

Brian, I can't be of much help here, other than to offer support. Never belonged to FFA, but I know its a great group. 4-H is as close as I got and that was a few moons ago!
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Brian never did it with Gts but did years ago with Calves and anything I can do to help. Great Idea.

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Brian,
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but as far as different classes, how about:

"Implement Catagory"
-Plowing or Cultivation class
-Planting class
-Fertilizing class
-Havesting class

"Equipment Catagory"
-Gear driven class
-Hydrostatic driven class
-Gas powered class
-Diesel powered class
-Garden Tractor class
-Sub-Compact Tractor class

Again, not sure if that's what you mean of not.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Brian is this like a shop class for them to learn how to restore a tractor?

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 07:48 PM

To begin with the first year, it's probably going to be just a few kids with a couple tractors. I will have club meeting for anyone wanting to get involved and try to get some of the local shop teachers and maybe Ag. mechanics involved to guide the kids along. I want to see this grow into a state or even National event for 4H and FFA kids, just like showing, and judging livestock. I am hoping to get a younger generation involved with and learn about Garden Tractors and their capabilities.

The classes may be only, GT's, Farm tractors, and Ag. equiptment. I really don't know what to expect yet.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 08:38 PM

Well Brian, sounds like you have good intentions, and I hope all goes well for you and the kids. Good Luck to you my man, and keep us posted on what you come up with, and the results turn out for you and the club!

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Troy, I really just want to find another way to get kids to learn about farming and gardening with power equiptment that they can afford and repair.

#9 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 11:26 PM

Here's a link to an existing FFA program for large tractor restoration. Maybe you can get some organizational ideas from it. http://delotractorre...ompetition.com/

I believe 4-H includes all of the garden tractor things with the small engines category. In MN here they also have a state small engines competition/test.

FFA (what I'm most familier with as an advisor/ag. teacher) has a Agricultural Mechanics Career Development Event (contest) as well as several proficiency award areas in agricultural mechanics awarded on the local, district/region, state, and national levels.

Some of our local county fairs have agricultural mechanics categories within FFA. Some do not. Just depends on how much someone as an advisor, parent, or adult leader pushes forward.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:07 AM

I'm afraid that I can't offer any help as I was never in FFA or 4-H, but it certainly sounds like a worthwhile endeavor for me and I hope that it goes well for you. I agree that today's youth need something constructive to do with their time and teaching them about these old machines is a great way to further their knowledge and expand their horizons beyond video games.

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:10 AM

Brian,
Sounds like a very good way to get the youngins involved in something besides video games.

JD,
The web site information you provided should be a great help to Brian and anyone else willing to get the ball rolling in there area. I will be contacting the local Intermediate School District small engine program instructor and let him know about the web site.

Thanks,
Bill

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:52 AM

Brian, at one time, 4-H had a small engine course. I think they abandoned it many moons ago, but you might check with your local Ext. Service or call Penn State Dept of Ag, they may have some info.

I guess I have a few questions. Is this designed to brew interest, give a broad overview, or step by step them thru a restoration.

If interest generation is the goal, you might try starting them with a driver's training course. As far as I'm concerned, seat time is the first step towards addiction.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:55 AM

Sounds very interesting, trash to treasure course. If I am understanding what you are asking, I would build the course like so
1: Picking out a Gt for restoration
1a: How bad is it
2a: Gear VS hydro in restoration
3a: Motors, availability of parts
4a: Trailer queen VS usable
2: I got one, now what?
1b: making it Mechanically sound
2b: Body work
3b: Painting
4b: Decals
5b: Finishing touches

I think its a great idea to get kids interested in GTs and anything thats gets them in to a shop setting working with their hands.

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 09:31 PM

My main goal is to get kids out from in front of the TV, Ipods, Video games and what have you, and put their minds and hands to work teaching them basic mechanics. Gt's and Small Engines are the most basic machinery to work on. Down here in TX., everything from a Weed eater to a SCUT is a lawn mower to these kids, and a lot of adults. We have almost 500 kids in our Co. 4-H program, and I don't really know how many kids are in the local FFA here. I think this could be a way to get more kids into Agriculture related areas.

I will have to start the program and offer help to anyone who wants it, either myself or someone else who will be willing to put in the time and effort. I am hoping to have restored items show at our Co. Youth Show in Jan, 2013.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 05:46 AM

Brian you have your work cut out for you, that's for sure, but the rewards I think will be awesome. For me, learning was always best hands on and real world. Since I went to city schools we didn't have 4H and FFA so I don't know how long they last or the budget you will have to work with. I was thinking if I was a kid it would be cool if I walked into a class and a beat up old GT was sitting there and I was told we were going to rebuild it. Maybe have part of the time class instruction on how to do like how a carb works or how to read an electrical schematic then let them apply what that they learned to the tractor. At the end of the class(s) the GT is restored and depending on how many classes you could have a completion on which class did the best job. Once a GT has been restored sell it put the $$$ in the kitty and buy another one and use the $$$ to help restore the new one.
  • MH81 and Toolpartzman have said thanks