• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 danjones1980 OFFLINE  

danjones1980
  • Member No: 9653
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:17 PM

this may seem like a silly question but can running 94 octane gas make the engine run rough
12 hp kohler (old cast iron kohler is what the gentleman i bought if off of called it)

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:28 PM

No that wouldn't do it. Most places are recommending you use the higher octane in small engines now .And I don't think any question is silly.

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:33 PM

First, welcome to the site! Thanks for joining! I cant help with your question much. And it's not a silly question whats-so-ever.

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:49 PM

I just noticed that! Sorry! :welcometogttalk: Welcome danjones1980! I hope you decide to stick around! You will like it here.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Welcome to GTT Dan. There is not such thing as a silly question. The Octane would not cause it to run rough but water in the gas would. I would check to make sure not water in the fuel, then probably do a tune up, air cleaner, new plug, points if your engine has them, clean carb and adjust valves.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 06:29 AM

Welcome to GTTalk Dan. I think Bill covered your problem pretty well. The points in particular can cause problems when they are out of adjustment or pitted. You should also replace the fuel line filter. If this is a tractor that has been sitting for a while unused you may be better off draining the fuel tank and replacing all the lines. One other thing to look for is a leaking head gasket. You will see an oily residue on the cylinder, which is mostly hidden under the engine covers, as well as on the top of the head and around the head bolts. The Kohler K series engine service manual is in our manuals section and is also available for download from the Kohler web site. Your engine should be a version of the Kohler K301. You need the type number form the engine ID tag to get parts from a Kohler dealer. At a JD dealer you only need the tractor model and ser. no. You should check out JDparts.com where you can access the parts diagrams for your tractor by doing a model no. search.

#7 danjones1980 OFFLINE  

danjones1980
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 07:39 AM

well thanks for the responses. let me give a little more info.this may get a little long winded so please bear with me. i got the tractor (john deere 212 w/ 12hp kohler) yesterday 4-27-2012 brought it home it ran fine for an hour and a half all of the sudden i notice that my throttle was not responding, the tractor was still running but sounded like it was stuck in about 3/4 throttle. looked under the hood and the throttle linkage on top of the carb was disconnected no big deal put it back together and ran a bit more and the engine started smoking from around the carb/air breather area and was coming out around the spark plug hole after that it just started to run like *&^% ( <--- i only do this because i just traded a john deere 111 that was having almost identical problems and frustration is at its peak) i have not dug into the engine yet i am trying to figure out if it is worth it or do i need to go back and talk to the gentleman i bought it off of. bought as is so i dont know how far i will get. again thanks for responses i have tried to ask questions on another forum and have not had much luck

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 07:44 AM

During that time did you add gas to the tractor from your tank? Since you said it happened with your other tractor I would suspect it has something that is common. I think again I would check for water in the gas or dirt in the tank.

#9 danjones1980 OFFLINE  

danjones1980
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 08:31 AM

update went out and mowed for about 30 min this morning and right before it started raining it did it again did not notice smoke but just didn't seem up to full throttle and was bogging down on small hills. i could play with choke and seemed to run a bit better on about half choke but after a few runs would have to stop and play with it a bit. checked spark plug and it looked clean ( i changed it last night old one had alot of carbon build up). any suggestions would be appreciated.

#10 danjones1980 OFFLINE  

danjones1980
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 08:34 AM

HDwildbill i fueled this tractor on my way home from picking it up put 94 octane in it by accident. i dont know if that had anything to do with it
thanks
dan

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 09:24 AM

You may have something floating around in the gas tank and finding it's way to the fuel pick-up. I would also check the carb. sediment bowl for junk in it. As far as the smoke goes, did it smell like grass or leaves, maybe something built a nest under the engine tins and it got hot enough to catch fire.
  • danjones1980 said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Check out the fuel system front to back as has been said. Smoke coming from around the covers could be something burning under there and also could be from a blocked crankcase breather. I had this happen to me when I put my 314 engine back together. Also check the governor linkage to make sure it didn't get disturbed when the throttle linkage disconnected. Taking a couple of the engine covers off will also allow you to have a look for a leaking head gasket. It does sound like a fuel problem though.

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 04:52 PM

If adding choke made it run better then I think Both Brian and Brian are on the right track. Sure sounds like you may have a sticking float but you have to tear down the carb to check it out.

#14 danjones1980 OFFLINE  

danjones1980
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 08:06 PM

thanks guys i am going to have to wait till monday to dig in after i talk to the gentleman i bought it off of and see if he wants to look at it if not i have alot of avenues to pursue
thanks
dan

#15 danjones1980 OFFLINE  

danjones1980
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 09:00 PM

sorry couldnt wait till monday... took sediment bowl off for a quick check and it had junk in it. so how far back in the fuel system do i need to go. gas also had a old smell to it (when i filled up on friday i put 3.5 gal in it and if my facts are correct it has a 3.5 tank on it)
again thanks for replies
thanks
dan