• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Today I had just started to mow my neighbors yard and another neighbor came over and told me he hit a tow chain that was hiding in the grass. A few months ago he tore down an old shed and there were some thick weeds and grass there so he went to mow it and he heard a big racket and the engine stalled. He found out that a tow chain was "hiding" in the weeds. He got it untangled and carefully continued mowing, nothing cut different or anything but it was squealing some. He figured he would finish mowing then come find me and ask me to take a look at it. When he stopped when I was mowing he engaged the deck and it seemed to be vibrating a lot but he said that was normal, it was shaking a lot so I wasn't sure. I was thinking, bent spindle, bent blade, broken blade or some other bad things. He asked me to take a look at it some time and he would order what ever parts it needed. He and I both know that he is mechanically inclined but he said he is going away on Monday and wont have time to look at it. I think the reason is, he only has one foot and would probably be hard for him to work on it. They amputated his leg below the knee and he has a prosthetic now and walks perfectly normal... for a guy with one foot. He jokes about it a lot and I joke back and he does not take it the wrong way at all. When we were talking he said he would rather pay me then pay somebody who would charge him an arm and a leg, my reply was "Yeah, I dont think you want to to give up that other leg either!" He laughed and said he better hang onto that one. I told him it was no problem and I would look at it today or tomorrow for him. About 15 minutes after he left I had a problem with a pulley on my 312-8 and since I could no longer mow, I figured I would look at his tractor for him. I went and got his tractor, brought it back to my house and took the mower deck off. I hung it from the garage ceiling so I could work on it better then, I took off the covers and the belt. After I got everything out of the way, I gave the blade a spin and found the problem VERY fast. This was the problem:

Posted Image

Somehow the prong thing that keeps the belt on bent and was rubbing on the spindle pulley. I stuck a wrench on it and bent it back, problem solved. I put it all back together and back on and when I went to get it he told me I could use it to finish mowing since I was having a problem with my horse. I finished mowing with it and it works great! It has a great cut on it and the hydro drive was nice for mowing. When I returned it he asked what the damage was and was thrilled it was just a bent prong. He said he would go and get some money for me and be right back, I told him not to pay me. He insisted and I told him the gas I burned in the 20 minutes I used it to mow covered it. The only thing we could come up with was that when he hit the chain the deck jumped and that part hit the bottom of the foot rest or some other part and bent it.

Here is a pic of the tractor after I took the deck off. It works fantastic for mowing, I would still prefer an old GT for real work though.
Posted Image

This was his key-chain, thought I would take a pic of it.
Posted Image

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Nice Job Ryan, I bet it made you feel good to help him out.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Ryan, it's nice when decent neighbors help each other. It was nice of you to take care of his deck problem. :good_job:
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#4 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:17 PM

:thumbs: :thumbs: Good job Ryan, that move earned you a few atta-boys which are generally money in the bank. He will remember that when he does get to pay you for something else.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks guys! I was just happy I was able to help him out!

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Very generous of you. I see you had to sneak an old tractor in the photo too you sly dog you. :thumbs:

#7 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 11:02 PM

the van propped way up in the air on cinder blocks is what caught my eye LOL

#8 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 11:20 PM

Your story reminded me of my neighbor who did something for me recently. When my father was small he and my neighbors father was best friend, and that continued until my dad was drafted and sent to Vietnam. I never really knew my neighbor other than just seeing him from time to time. His father started a transmission repair service back in the 1950's, and has continued to be a family owned business and they're still #1 in the State for repair! People from all over the USA send transmission here for repair. They told us they'd even gotten a few from Canada!

A week ago, my wife's car started acting crazy after we avoided and accident from a woman on a cell phone. She decided that it was important we're in a parking spot she just had to have and almost T boned us trying to get it, problem is we're in it. My wife panicked and did what is called Busy Shift, another words she was rapidly shifting the stick and missed Drive, wound up in 2nd gear and then 1st back to 3rd and into D.

For reasons unknown to me this caused the computer to flip out and naturally we have all sorts of crazy crap on the Displays. Check engine light the works and then the car is changing gears incorrectly. Starting out in 3rd gear and funky stuff, all because of a stupid woman on a cell phone.

I called my neighbor and told him what the car was doing, bring it over let me check it. We took the car over and within minutes he found the problem, the shift sensor, says the computer error codes. Well, We called the dealer, $1000.00 bucks to repair the car, my neighbor says send me the part. The next morning he calls says bring me the car, I tell him I can't pay till Friday. He says bring me the car, so we take it over, 10 minutes later the car is repaired.

He says bring $60 bucks on Friday and I said are you sure? He says yea no labor just for the part!

I am not sure if this is politically correct on this site, but Dwayne is a Christian, he teaches Sunday School. I learned then because my dad and his dad was friends that meant something to him. It means something to me now, and it meant a lot to know that someone still thinks of his neighbor. Dwayne could have charged me a wad to fix that car but he knows of my medical issues, he knows I can no longer work and he knows we do not receive any assistance from anyone. He knows my wife works very hard. He knows we often have hard times here and he knows what being a neighbor is! t

Long story to say thank you for helping your neighbor! Not to many people offer their neighbors a helping hand any longer and that is sad. People here where I live have it ruff because no jobs are here any more. Like I said, not to many people still practice the helping neighbors.

When I read something about a neighbor helping a neighbor it just really speaks out to me. I have to comment and say thank you! Thank you very much for having the compassion, the willingness and the caring to help someone. See, I know how it is to be rock bottom and the bill man calling you up, worrying over your next meal or if you have money for gas to get to work one more day. So when someone tells a story about helping someone out, even though it might just be a simple thing as fixing a Garden Tractor, you knew he could do for himself, or maybe not. You did it and it speaks volumes about the type of person you are.

Thank you once again for being a man of character with a heart!
  • Amigatec and LTD have said thanks

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 11:51 PM

Ryan, good for you. Keep setting the bar high for the rest of us.

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 12:26 AM

Way to go, Ryan! Glad you could help him out.
Thanks for sharing your story, maxedout. You were on the receiving end there!

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 05:04 AM

the van propped way up in the air on cinder blocks is what caught my eye LOL

Yea reminds me of living here in Oklahoma.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Well done Ryan! Helping other people is one of the true joys of life. If you can discover that early in life it will go a long way towards making you happier in good times and bad. If you think of the story of the Good Samaritan it is not only about helping your neighbour but also about discovering who your neighbours really are!

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Thanks everybody! Maxadout, thanks for the story, it was a good read.

The old tractor in the back is my speedex, it just happened to be in the shot.

The van's frame is rotted were the steering box goes and the bolts that hold the box to the frame keep braking. I put it up on blocks so its easeir to work on. I took the box out and now I have to reinforce the frame with some steel so the bolts wont brake anymore. Also, this is one thing I will not be welding, I know another guy who is a welder by trade so after I get everything tabbed I will have him come weld it.