• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 07:05 PM

My Jacobsen is a 1980 1450. The mower deck is shot. It is rusted to the point where I was getting pelted with stuff through the rust holes! Anyway, I found a new used one on craigslist. I will have to modify the brackets to fit my tractor by taking the old ones off and welding them on the new one. I also want to weld the handle and wheel asembly from the old one that controls the height on the new one as it does not have it. My question is the new one has a smaller center pulley than the old one. The new one also has two other pulleys on this hinge like thing. it also has a spring on it. When I run the belt these pulleys seem to off set the belt to the left. I think I can just flip these pulleys over on their hinge and not use them as I don't know what there for. I really don't want to off set the belt do I? I am not sure if this an older deck or a newer model. Regardless it is almost llike brand new as the owner told me it had very little use when it was new and then sat in the barn since. There is hardly any rust and it still has all it's warning stickers. Thanks for your help!

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Has it got any model #'s on it? This may help figuring out if it is newer or older. Almost sounds like it's newer to me. From a YT possibly?

#3 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Kenny the only thing I can find out is one of the stickers that look like it had the model number on has a big "T" on it. It is other than the above difference, identical. same shape, size, belt covers, front rollers side chute and color orange. I am going to try to get a pic so I can show you guys. Its dark here now but will try tomorrow.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Thanks! Sometimes a pic can help figure things out! There are a few folks here that may be able to sort this out for you.

#5 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:41 PM

jake2.jpg
This is pics of my 1980 Jacobsen 1450 and old mower deck

Attached Thumbnails

• jake2.jpg

Edited by Buck, April 29, 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#6 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:45 PM

Jacobsen 1450

Attached Thumbnails

• jake.jpg

Edited by Buck, April 29, 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#7 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:52 PM

jake 3.jpg The new to me deck I just picked up. The two top pulleys are on that hinge with the spring can piviot so that you can flip them over. My question is what this was for. I think Im going to remove them.

Edited by Buck, April 29, 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 08:38 PM

Don't have a clue on those two pullys. But I do notice the difference in size of the other pullys. this deck is much smaller that the old one. That will change the deck speed.

#9 Russell OFFLINE  

Russell
  • Member No: 9463
  • 2 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hi Buck - I think that those two new pulleys are there to keep the belt tight. Since the first deck didn't have them I assume that there is one on the tractor? Just as long as there is one somewhere you should be fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jacobsen mower deck