#31 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Scuffed up the cream paint and clear coated it tonight. While I was waiting for one coat to dry I took the shields off the mower deck, oh my. All three of the spindles are frozen, the center one has major cracks around it one 8' long. Bothe corners have holes in them and one of the tee handle adjusters is missing. Is it worth fixing up? Does it make the GT more valuable? I will probably never mow with it. Don't get me wrong it is fixable but just a lot of work and money. Is it worth it?

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:56 PM

At least keep it in it's present condition. If you happen to find some parts and add them later, you're not kicking yourself for letting it rot away any more.

#33 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 08:00 PM

I am getting ready to paint the yellow and I always have a hard time with the hood and seat pan because I have to turn them over to paint. It always leaves a mark somewhere. I had made a stand for the hood and decided to make one for the seat pan. I went to an office supply store that sells furniture and got some swivel chair bottoms from the junk pile. He was glad to get rid of them. I then got some 1" and 3/4" square tubing. I made it all adjustable so I could change it for different things. It will roll around and is very stable. I also have less than $10.00 in it.

Attached Thumbnails

• P6010048.jpg
  • P6010049.jpg
  • P6010051.jpg

• IamSherwood, KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#34 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 08:31 PM

I sanded all the yellow parts today and painted them yellow and clear coated them. So this is a B10 taken all apart hand hanging in the paint room. Tomorrow I will paint the hood and seat pan as I didn't want to get over spray on them. Next we will see if I can all those pieces together.

Attached Thumbnails

• P6020055.jpg

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 05:19 AM

Boy, all the puzzle pieces are the same color. That's going to be fun!

#36 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 11:09 AM

I painted the hood fenders side panels and a few parts I forgot yesterday. This is a picture of all (most) of the parts laid out ready for assembly. You can see my hood stand in action.

Attached Thumbnails

• P6020057.jpg
  • P6020059.jpg
  • P6020061.jpg
  • P6020062.jpg
  • P6020063.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Still looks like a fun project to put back together. Did you take pics?

#38 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Yes but probably not enough. I do have a parts book, that will help.

#39 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 05:13 PM

Worked on it this afternoon. Got the BGB and the mule drive on with the side plates. Bolted the frame on and am trying to get the front end on. I built the hole up where the back pin on the front end goes and it is not fitting right. It is hard to take a big hammer to it when you have it all painted. I still have a few parts I don't know where they go but I will figure it out. Hope to get more done tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• P6090064.jpg
  • P6090065.jpg

#40 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Worked on it again today, I got most of it back together. I need to get the steering tower off to the chromer's with some other parts so I will have to wait for a while to finish it. I will start on the motor next as I know it needs rebuilt. I have two parts I can't figure out where they go and have run out of ideas.

Attached Thumbnails

• P6100068.jpg

#41 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 08:20 AM

Parts are off to the chrome shop today. A big thanks to Johndeerelfman for all the parts he sent me. I am looking forward to seeing the end result.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#42 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 08:26 PM

Tore into the motor tonight. The engine was packed with mouse nests and they have chewed all the wires off the coil, I hate it when they do that. Some one reversed the valves. They are both pretty well shot and I don't think I can grind them and save them. The intake port was almost completely closed with carbon. I am going to bore it out 10 over as I have a new 10 over piston. I will replace the crank bearings and I will have to check the rod. All in all it is not to bad for as wore out as the rest of the machine is.

Attached Thumbnails

• P6140074.jpg
  • P6140075.jpg

#43 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 07:10 AM

It's coming along nicely, Dan. Frame looks real good. Best of luck with the engine!

#44 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 05:06 PM

Worked on cleaning and blasting the motor parts today, should be done tomorrow then off the the machine shop to get bored.

#45 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Worked on bead blasting motor parts and priming them. I started to take the mower deck apart today and what a mess. That thing is shot. All the bearings are froze up the bearing housings are all cracked, the deck has a lot of cracks in it and the deck where the center pulley goes is all broke out. I can replace the bearings and I welded the cracks in the housings. I think I can find a bearing plate to beef up the center deck part and I have a friend that is good at welding thin metal so I think I will let him have a go at the deck. I am going to have a fortune in this deck.

I will probably not use this deck much and I am worried that the dead air space in the bearing housing will draw condensation and rust my bearings. Have any of you drilled and taped a grease zerk to fill the bearing housing up with grease?

Attached Thumbnails

• P6170076.jpg
  • P6170078.jpg
  • P6170079.jpg