• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 11:35 AM

I was told by a dealer that my 2185 should bring 2200 dollars with the tiller and snowblower. I listed it forsale at 1800 dollars. Any way A guy looked at it yesturday and told me he could buy a brand new one with a 5 year warranty from tractorsupply for 1800 dollars and wanted to give me 900 dollars for it. I can name 4 dealers up here that wont do any warranty work on a chainstore model with out charging the customer a 75 dollar per visit fee. That tells me theres something different about them. I know the 2185 is an old tractor but I believe its a better tractor than a tractor supply cub. I also added that the 2 attachments with it made it alot better deal. Needless to say he went to tractor supply and bought a new one. They also told him there was no difference. Is this true with the cubs. I know the deeres had a different model for chain stores for a while I dont know if they still do. Can any one tell me the difference before this question comes up again. He did tell me flat out the transaxle in this one looked alot heavier than the ones from tsc. LOL If I am only going to get 1000 bucks out of thi old girl its just going to join my collection. At 160 hours it should be just getting broke in.

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 12:29 PM

That is a tough question and I'll be watching for other comments.
I know I was looking at a Zero Turn John Deere at the local Lowes, yesterday.
There was a prominent sticker on the Frame that read "Prepared by Great American Outdoor Equipment" Ankeny ,Iowa and included the phone number and address for service. I happen to know that's part of the Van Wall Group that has John Deere dealerships all over Iowa, Eastern Nebraska and Northern Kansas.
If it were a substandard product I doubt they would put their name on or service it..

I also looked at the cadet's, Toro & Ex Marks at the local True Value.
I just don't see that $12,000 Ex Mark that will do up to 7.4 acres per hour in my budget any time soon? :bounce:
Though would love to mow my 9 acres in less than 2 hours.
Still am most inpressed with Ex Mark and will be downgrading my expectations to something more within my budget

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 26, 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#3 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 01:28 PM

It made me wonder at first when I saw the labor rates at a local dealer with a huge sign that says any warrantee work performed on a box store garden tractor will be subject to a 75 dollar per visit service charge. I wasnt sure if there is a difference or if that was the dealers way of making up for a profit loss of not selling them the tractor. Either way That dealer ship has been written off on my list of parts suppliers. LOL I serviced the hydro trans on this tractor when I serviced the engine and the dealer wouldnt tell me what fluid to use for the transaxle. He told me to check my owners manual after buying 125 dollars worth of parts from them. He was more than willing to go in the back and sell me the 10 dollar a quart oil but because I have a decent supply here he wouldnt tell me what it used.

#4 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 01:33 PM

I also should add he was very rude when he said it. I didnt have to go to the dealer for parts but for the hydro filter my first choice small engine shop had to order it and I wanted it yesturday. I guess that what I get for not waiting the 2 days for a part. My john deere projects were taking up my small shop and they were calling for rain the next couple of days. Make hay while the sunshines I thought. LOL If I would have waited I may have gotten shot when my wife got home and the cub was sitting in our living room. LOL Ill bet my boys would have loved it though.

#5 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 01:40 PM

I think the chain store models are more or less the throw away models.They cost more to fix than you can get a new one.My supervisor had a Jd model from home depot.The hydrostatic trans went out on it,They don't make a replacement for it.If he would have bought the next model higher a replacement would've been avail, but expensive. He wound up buying a new model from the dealer.

#6 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 08:58 PM

The hydro transmissions on the chain store units are sealed - no filter and the oil can't be changed. If the hydro fails - replace the tractor.

As for the $10/qt oil - it's a Shell product, but they aren't willing to say if it's sold under any other label. Search google for TTF-SB (Tractor Transaxle Fluid - Synthetic Blend). Finding this oil at a non-goofy price appears to be the holy grail of garden tractor oils. Folks have reported success using various motor oils, but nothing definitive. Honestly - I don't know if the cub cadet oil is better or worse than the motor oils folks have been suggesting. So far, I'm paying the extra $$s every few years - hopefully that's cheaper total cost of ownership (vs. an expensive repair).

One thing is certain - make sure you use a hydrostatic filter. A motor oil filter will make you machine non-functional. I buy mine at the local IH farm tractor dealer.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 08:59 PM

I know the JD tractors I have worked on that were bought from a box store sure didn't seem much different then any of the other cheap box store brands. But to say if they are any different then what you get in a dealer I can't say for sure.

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 09:33 PM

The Cub cadets are the same whether they are sold thru a servicing dealer or thru TSC or Lowes. The thing with the ones sold thru TSC or Lowes is that they only sell the lower end models. If you really look at them closely they are nothing more than a rebadged MTD Yard Machines with some different paint and sheetmetal. I worked for TSC from 2002-2006 and the more Expensive Huskees with foot hydro were little different from the 1000 series Cub Cadets. Besides paint, the hood and a higher grade engine they were the same basic chassis and transmission underneath. The higher end models that have the heavier cast rear are only available thru a servicing dealer. It's a good thing too as some of the higher models like the 3000 series have different size decks available and should really only be sold thru a dealer that knows how to set them up and can handle ordering in to suit a customers needs.

I can see a servicing dealer not wanting to work on one that was bought thru a box store. If Joe Q Public buys a tractor thru a box store and then it breaks and wants the regular servicing dealer to warranty fix it that dealer is out the money in time and parts until the claim is approved. And the manufacturer can either deny the claim outright or send reimbursment for much less then was actually put back into the machine. I saw this first hand 6 years ago when I worked for the local Toro/Ferris dealership for a short time. Many times a claim would go thru and come back denied or the reimbursement would be considerably less then filed for.

As for oil I would use the synthetic on the 2000 series and newer. The older models thru the cyclops series used the old Hy Tran fluid same as the IH's and had the same filter. Some of the smaller cub lawn tractors use a filter but not all. The newer 1000 series ones which are the warmed over Yard Machines I believe do not, but I believe some of the 2000 series do.

I haven't looked at them lately but if the trend is the same as it was 6 years ago then they are probably made even worse. I will just stick to my trusty old IH made Cub Cadets and know that they will still be around working like the day they were made long after some of these new things are recycled into another new worthless tractor.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#9 cubcadet107 OFFLINE  

cubcadet107

• Member No: 1156
  • 10 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:12 PM

I bought a cub cadet zero turn at tsc about 5 years ago. It didnt last 75 hours. Bent valve and both hydro pump out. I know 2 people that bought them and had same problem. I talk to a cub cadet rep He said they were made just for tsc at a low price. JUNK
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 83MALIBU OFFLINE  

83MALIBU

• Member No: 1750
  • 40 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 03:21 PM

My local Home Depot had a Cub ride and drive last montha, and it was set up by the local Cub dealer. He hauls the equipment and does the setup for the events.

#11 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:53 PM

I was told by a dealer that my 2185 should bring 2200 dollars with the tiller and snowblower. I listed it forsale at 1800 dollars. Any way A guy looked at it yesturday and told me he could buy a brand new one with a 5 year warranty from tractorsupply for 1800 dollars and wanted to give me 900 dollars for it. I can name 4 dealers up here that wont do any warranty work on a chainstore model with out charging the customer a 75 dollar per visit fee. That tells me theres something different about them. I know the 2185 is an old tractor but I believe its a better tractor than a tractor supply cub. I also added that the 2 attachments with it made it alot better deal. Needless to say he went to tractor supply and bought a new one. They also told him there was no difference. Is this true with the cubs. I know the deeres had a different model for chain stores for a while I dont know if they still do. Can any one tell me the difference before this question comes up again. He did tell me flat out the transaxle in this one looked alot heavier than the ones from tsc. LOL If I am only going to get 1000 bucks out of thi old girl its just going to join my collection. At 160 hours it should be just getting broke in.

AS Stated the Box store Cub Cadets are No different from the dealer cub Cadets But they do Not sell the GT or GTX2000 series at the Box store. Now for a Few Years You could Get the Cub Cadet 2186 ordered Thru a Lowes and thru Places Like Farm & Fleet You could even order a 2550 thru Farm & fleet at One time But today the Biggest You Can Get at a Box store is the Cub Cadet GTX1054 But it's Belt driven from engine to transmission and It Uses a Hydro-Gear G730 Transaxle and that same Transmission Can Be found In Husqvarna Garden tractor & Sears Craftsman Garden tractors as well One thing You will Notice recently Cub has sort of divided the Cub Cadet 1000 series lawn tractor a Bit They sell the Models with the Kohler courage’s at the Box store while there selling the One’s with a Kawasaki engine at the Cub Cadet dealer & there starting to use Tuff-Torq K46's In the 1000 series Models with Kawasaki engine while there still using Hydro-Gear 310-0510 In the 1000 series with the Kohler Courage engines But there still the same tractor weather it's a box store 1000 or a dealer 1000 series tractor The Only difference Now is the Kawasaki engine Models are only sold at the dealer and Have Tuff-Torq K46 transmissions But the dealers also sells the Kohler Courage 1000 series models as well But Your 2185 is Not in the same league with those 1000 series sold at the Box stores It way Beyond Those Tractors and to a Point Its Beyond the GT or GTX2000 series tractors In the Fact Cub Cadet has Not Introduced a OEM tiller for them Yet if Your Looking for a PTO driven tiller for the Current 2000 series You only choice Is Bercomac and Bercomac Is also Producing the 46inch Front Blade & two stage snow Blower for the Current 2000 series Before the 42inch Blade & 42inch two stage Blower for Your 2185 was Made In House By Cub Cadet along with the 28inch PTO tiller or 30inch Hydraulic driven Tiller I own a 2002 2206 with a 48inch deck and a electric lift sleeve Hitch & a 30inch Hydraulic driven tiller and right Now I would say it’s More tractor then the Current GT or GTX2000 series while My 2206 may Have a cast aluminum trans housing and Not a Cast Iron Trans case Like the Current GT or GTX2000 series It can actually do a Little Bit More Because of the Hydraulic tiller So remind People your 2185 is Like Buying a GT Or GTX2000 series tractor In the Fact it shaft driven from engine to transmission and Not Belt driven Like the Box store Models :thumbs:
  • bgkid2966 said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 05:06 AM

It's the same up here for JD's that are sold at HD. They are sold at full retail price and the service is provided by the JD dealership. I tell people to go to the dealer and buy the same tractor from someone who actually can tell you what the differences are when you move up the lineup.
As far as synthetic fluid goes Amsoil makes a synthetic tractor fluid and you can buy that from any Amsoil dealer. I used it in my JD 2320 compact and it definitely made the hydraulics/ trans. run cooler. The JD D series is the same at a box store as at the dealer. I'm not sure about other brands but they are all built to a low price point and you get what you pay for.

#13 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 10:45 AM

Well the second guy that looked at it took it. My wife is happy. The first guy that came and looked at it contacted me to see if it was still available. He did some more research and figured out he was getting a better deal with my 2185 but I had to tell him it was gone and good luck with his new 1000 series. Thanks for the responses. I really wasnt sure about this. Thats why I asked. It sold within 2 days of me making this post.. The second guy knew what he was getting.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the follow up and good news that you found it a good home.

#15 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 04:28 PM

In 2001 I was lucky enough to purchase a dealer demo 2206 with 48" deck while living in Tennessee . I had looked at JD but they did not offer a shaft drive GT at that time . Since then I have moved back home to central Pa and purchased the rototiller attachment for it . The tiller can be a bear to attach and the belt keeps coming off the rear tensioner pulley , but for the little bit I use it I can put up with it . The snowthrower attachment is a little easier to install and remove. I can honestly say that this Cub has been very reliable and worry free . I have it serviced yearly along with the deck .
This is a great forum and I just can't absorb enough on the information available here . I'm half way thru restoring a model 72 . I have started restoring the mule drive, snowthrower and 42" mower deck to go with the model 72 . I use my model 104 most of the time and may not restore it as no ID plates came with it, neither the trans or engine plates were there. I just purchased a model 124 which has some serious engine issues to be resolved during restoration . Thanks to all and keep the info flowing !
Just to add, I try to use as little paint as possible and powdercoat everything for the restoration. It's much more durable and the mental exercise you get trying to figure out how to only powdercoat a portion of a part, since the powder is baked on a 400 degrees . No plastic or rubber parts ! They would melt or burn . The only problem I've experienced so far is that powdercoated wheel rims are so slick the tire won't seat and you have to use tubes . This journey we're on is great !

Edited by mike912e, November 27, 2012 - 04:36 PM.