• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• Member No: 8163
  • 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:30 PM

There is a 25 amp inline circuit breaker on the red wire between the battery and the key switch. Checked it and it is good.

There is a seat saftey switch in the wiring diagram but either mine doesnt have one or it was removed in the past.

There is only one wire going into the antidieseling solenoid and it comes from the coil. Dont have any juice going into it since no juice to the coil, but it does show and lose continuit when pushing in and pulling out the button it it, so we are taking that as a sign that its good.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:33 PM

I was going to look at the service manual to try and help more. but I am maxed out on downloads for the day. :( I'll see if I can find another copy to look at. Good luck in the mean time.

Chris, you shouldn't have a max on downloading. I'll have George check that out when he gets time, which may take some time as he's very busy with server issues.
  • chris m said thank you

#18 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Chris, you shouldn't have a max on downloading. I'll have George check that out when he gets time, which may take some time as he's very busy with server issues.

No problem. I just went crazy looking at the MF stuff lastnight LOL.

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Take a good look at the 2 diagrams posted earlier in this topic. If you know what your ser. no. is you can tell which diagram applies. You should be able to trace the +12v from the ignition switch to the coil and determine where you are loosing it. Sometimes there are bad connections in the wiring just from age, dirt and corrosion of contacts.

#20 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Take a good look at the 2 diagrams posted earlier in this topic. If you know what your ser. no. is you can tell which diagram applies. You should be able to trace the +12v from the ignition switch to the coil and determine where you are loosing it. Sometimes there are bad connections in the wiring just from age, dirt and corrosion of contacts.

I was hoping a JD Pro would come on. :smilewink:

#21 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• Member No: 8163
  • 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 07:48 PM

Ok guys. THANK YOU all. Got it fixed. I did like yall said and double checked the wire from the ignition to the coil. turns out after removing the battery tray, it split off to go to safety switched for the belly pto and the seat safety switch. Apparently whoever removed the seat safety switch rigged it loosely and the two wires that were supposed to go to the seat switch had come disconnected. Stuck them back together and it start right up now. Now Ive got to put my whole mower back together though.

Thanks again for everyones help and for pointing me in the right direction. Yall are the BEST!
  • chris m said thank you

#22 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 07:53 PM

That's great news!!!!! I just felt bad not being able to help you in person. Electrical troubles are bad enough when you can physically work on it. But even tougher to try and figure with out seeing things first hand. Good Job!!!

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Glad you got her going. I didn't add anything as Chris & Brian had you covered pretty well.

#24 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Great news! Glad the gang here got you going.

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 04:15 AM

When you are troubleshooting these older tractors you can't take anything for granted. It's often the thing that you can't see or don't know about that gives you grief. That's why access to wiring diagrams are such a great help. Too bad JD is anal about manuals!! Access to service info for these tractors is a chronic issue that is bad for the brand IMO!!