• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• Member No: 8163
  • 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 02:58 PM

My JD 400 has been running good, but today I had been mowing for about 30 minutes and it just cut out and died. It would not restart. Turns over good, fuel is full, fuel pump runs and pumps fuel.

I checked the oil and it was at the bottom of the dipstick 1 quart low. Thought maybe it was a low oil safety switch or something, but after reflling the oil, it still wont start. Tried using starting fluid and it just turns over, not even trying to start.

I pulled the spark plug wiresand it doesnt seem to be getting power to the spark plugs.

SO, what could it be? Is there a safety switch that was triggered by the low oil that needs to be reset somehow? Any other safety switches that would stop the spark? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 03:21 PM

If it has a shut off for low oil it could be faulty. I would trace power with a test light and see what you come up with. I know with a car to reset everything, you unhook the battery, you could try that and see if it does anything.

#3 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 03:28 PM

I just disconnected the battery but still not getting any fire.

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 917 Thanks
  • 1,207 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 03:49 PM

what engine does your Jd 400 have. If it has a coil check for 12 volts at positive side of coil.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:48 PM

JD 400.gif JD 400-2.gif 1st I would check if you have 12 volts to the positive side of the coil with the key on. If not look at the ignition switch, the 2 terminals on the left, bottom left should have 12 volts when key is on, that's the 12 volt supply to the coil. The one above that is the 12 volt feed to the switch. I see a anti dieseling solenoid tied in before the coil. I would find and check that if you have 12 volts on the bottom left of the switch with key on and no voltage at the coil. Good luck and I hope this helps.

#6 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:02 PM

engine is the Kohlr K532.

#7 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 917 Thanks
  • 1,207 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Kohler engine web site has free manual downloads for K532

#8 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Just checked the switch, we have 12 at both the lt green and the red wire on the left side of the ignition switch with the key on.
How would I check the antidieseling solenoid? I see it, it haas a long metal button coming out of the bottom of it that you can push in, but other than that, have no idea how to check that? Thanks.

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Just checked the switch, we have 12 at both the lt green and the red wire on the left side of the ignition switch with the key on.
How would I check the antidieseling solenoid? I see it, it haas a long metal button coming out of the bottom of it that you can push in, but other than that, have no idea how to check that? Thanks.

Did you try pushing the button in to see if it resets it?

#10 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Kohler engine web site has free manual downloads for K532

We have the mauals on here in our Manual section for free download also.( I forget to check myself sometimes)

#11 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Yes, I tried pushing the button on the dieseling switch. I believe it is fine as we have continuity through it when the button is pushed in and when its not pushed in, no continuity.

I have the parts of the manual available here as well as a few parts sent by other members but cant get this thing figured out. Still trying things.

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Were you able to see if there was 12 volts to the coil?( I wish I could just jump in and help you out on it in person.) Any clue as to the condition of the points? If you are getting 12 volts at the coil it could just be a point or condenser issue. or maybe if there is a kill wire to the points maybe it is grounded.

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:00 PM

I was going to look at the service manual to try and help more. but I am maxed out on downloads for the day. :( I'll see if I can find another copy to look at. Good luck in the mean time.

#14 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Not getting any juice to either side of the coil.

#15 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:22 PM

There has to be something in that circuit from the switch to the coil. Like a fuse, breaker or a low oil switch,This is a tough one cause I am not familiar with a JD400. All you can really do is trace the wire on the + of the coil back to the ignition switch. and see what it goes to in between the two. how any wires are on that anti dieseling solenoid? And do you have 12 volts going in and out of it?