14 replies to this topic

#1 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hi all, First things first. This is not a joke. It really happens. My Sons girlfriend has a '94 Blazer that wants to shock you when touched. It just started doing it recently. It doesn't happen all the time. The shock isn't bad, more like a static shock. It can happen while running or when shut off. This has me stumped. :confuse: I wouldn't think a short in a 12v system could cause this? Has anyone encountered / heard of this before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 Wayne195 OFFLINE  

Wayne195
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9618
  • 30 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 02:08 PM

Strange...

Does it only shock you when it's running or also when it's off?

Edited by Wayne195, April 25, 2012 - 02:09 PM.

• PaPasTractor said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hmm... I have no idea what it is but im interested to find out.

#4 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Both, when running or shutoff. Just not all the time. Thanks

#5 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 02:55 PM

Check all the ground straps from the engine to the body and the body and engine to the transmission. They are made of braided flat bare wire and tend to corrode through. There are many ground straps and you are best off to find a wiring diagram to locate them all. Good luck.

Geno

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 02:57 PM

I would start with the grounds. Make sure the body ground is good as well as the battery to engine ground. Has anything been worked on lately? Does it do it anywhere on the vehicle? Will it do it before getting in or only after your in there?

PS: looks like Geno is quicker than I am!

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 03:17 PM

The wife had a Toyota Van a few years back that would do that. It seemed to go with the Humidity in the air and what clothing you were wearing. It did seem to be mainly when we opened the door. I checked all the grounds and never did figure it out except it seemed to be when the Humidity was low. We traded it for the KIA I wish we had kept the Toyota.

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Bill is right. Both our truck and car will do the same thing, when getting out of the vehicles. It's due to the humidity in the air. You should notice that your vehicle won't shock you, say after a rain? You'll go nuts trying to find a solution, on something that mother nature is at fault for.

#9 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:30 PM

Bill is right. Both our truck and car will do the same thing, when getting out of the vehicles. It's due to the humidity in the air. You should notice that your vehicle won't shock you, say after a rain? You'll go nuts trying to find a solution, on something that mother nature is at fault for.

Dad's old Yukon does that. The only way I could get around it is to hold a finger on one of the screws that holds the arm-rest on the door while getting out.

#10 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Sounds like static electricity, so it would depend on what clothing and shoes you are wearing, get into the habit of putting your hand on the doorframe before your feet touch the ground when you leave the car, that releases the charge slower, also be carefull when you fill with petrol..
Years ago they used to sell rubber strips that you hung under the car to get rid of the static, at least i think thats what they were for..

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:13 PM

My Nephews mom had a Blazer the same year as that. And it used to shock her all the time. same as above, all i could figure was it was static. I always thought It was caused from her Negative attitude :laughingteeth:

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,572 Thanks
  • 3,956 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Did anybody ever try using the antistatic spray on the seat covers? It gets my wife regular and it rarely zaps me. She thought it might help, but I didnt get around to trying it yet.

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Did anybody ever try using the antistatic spray on the seat covers? It gets my wife regular and it rarely zaps me. She thought it might help, but I didnt get around to trying it yet.

I never tried it. My Nephews mom always got zapped but as with you, it never happened to me.Mybe it is what they are wearing?

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:22 PM

The wife had a Toyota Van a few years back that would do that. It seemed to go with the Humidity in the air and what clothing you were wearing. It did seem to be mainly when we opened the door. I checked all the grounds and never did figure it out except it seemed to be when the Humidity was low. We traded it for the KIA I wish we had kept the Toyota.

I would also guess static shock. My wife had a car like that, I think it was a Toyota. I finally started just holding onto the door the entire time while I got out, that kept me grounded and I wouldn't get shocked going to shut the door. Have you added seat covers? Or bought new clothes? Either might suddenly cause it, or possibly not using fabric softener in the dryer causes clothes to be more static prone.

#15 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Does it have a converter from 12v to 110 for camping equipment wired into it somewhere? Once came across a van that would bout knock you down that had gone thru several owners. Somebody had the converter put in and had a cord to some appliance, we figured a small fridge. Anyway the appliance was gone the cord was under the carpet and when it got wet by the back doors BINGO !
Have had lots of vehicles that will give you the static shock getting in and out, some seats/interiors seem more prone to that, but clothing you have on and the humidity as already mentioned are the main culprits.
Good luck !