• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 03:45 PM

The pics aren't close, but I didn't want to cross the fence into Dad's neighbor's property. While I sprayed our corn ground, I spied this in the neighbor's old shed. The fence line has been cleared some, so just now noticing the old 2 wheeler in there. Been sitting for some time. It appears to be a Gravely. Can you guys verify. Any idea as to the year by these pics?

DSC00792.JPG DSC00793.JPG

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'd agree with it being a Gravely. Probably a model L but they made a lot of variations and I'm not up enough on them to tell from the pics. The cast iron seat might be a nice item too.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Yes, I saw that seat right away! Gonna try & catch him home asap to see if they are for sale.

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yep Its an L type, probably a straight L as they were the most sold. Could be an LS or an LI. The tag should be on the right hand side of the gas tank.

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 06:09 PM

It has to be between 1956 and 1966 to have the angled sparkplug like that. Would have been rated as 6.6 horsepower- at the PTO.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Good luck Daniel! I hope you can work something out to get them. I wish I had a neighbor with cool stuff like that sitting around! Oh wait I need a neighbor 1st though,being I live in the woods I have no neighbors lol. :p

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:24 PM

Good luck Daniel! I hope it works out for you!

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:20 PM

Great find. I can't think of anything to add regarding what you have until you get some better/closer pics. Better watch out, those Gravelys multiply faster than Masseys or rabbits. :dancingbanana: I think you posted that the air filter was missing in another thread? It is probably under the hood, in front of the cylinder on that earlier model. I'd say 50/50 chance that fresh gas and it will crank for you.

#9 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 11:57 AM

I agree with Gtractor... its a 6.6hp model and i see it has spare wheel rims with the seat. looks complete. could be a runner with a quick carb clean! It is for sure a late 50' or 60's model because of the aluminium carb in picture two, not sure what year they changed but i do know it was late 50's and up for that carb. the seat is not off a gravely sulky but still nice to have. Good luck on getting your hands on it.

#10 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Any word on the Gravely yet? I agree with previous poster, the head (at least) is a 6.6 HP head. I think they stopped using that type hood about 1961. For sure by 1964. I also agree probably a standard L since they are the most common. Need to see the tag on top of the gas tank to tell for sure. Not a swiftamatic for sure since the hi/lo - forward reverse levers are on the same pivot, not off set and no third lever down low. Not electric start based on the pull strap hanging on the left handle bar. I don't see a governor on it. The aluminum carb has the opening to the rear and it would have faced forward from 1962 - 1966 so I would say the tractor is older than 1961.

#11 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 01:49 PM

Sorry,

Forgot to introduce myself yesterday. I'm Larry and I am new here. I have a Gravely L and a John Deere collection. I like all tractors. I may soon be the owner of a Standard twin converted to 4 wheels. Nice to be here.