• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 English OFFLINE  

English

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have a 1973 Sears St garden tractor. I can't get the starter and ring gear to work correctly. I've been told that the tractor has a finer toothed ring gear than the newer starters. The new starters bind up and don't release causing them to be wrecked very quickly. Now I WAS TOLD...that you can change the fly wheel out to the newer style/courser ring gear fly wheel. Problem is I can't find a flywheel.

Anybody have any input on my dilemna?

Mike

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Sorry I can't help you out Mike , never had that problem with a GT but in some automotive ( GM comes to mind ) if it bound up because the starter pinion was too close to the ring gear you would put a spacer to get it a little more room , might not work for you though , Al

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 06:09 PM

I would match the starter gear up to the ring gear and see if they line up correctly. If they do, I think Alc is onto the problem.

If not, you should be able to find a flywheel thru one of our site sponsors. Their contact info and forums can be found in the main forum page.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Yes, I do believe the older TEC's were a fine tooth. This is the one you need. You didn't state your engine size? The correct starter is easily had. I doubt very much you can update the flywheel. Get me the engine model # so I can be sure. New, both are either $53, or $77(premium starter), including shipping. This fits the HH100, HH120, and the OH120 through OH180.
BUT, do check with our site sponsors to see if they have it first.

Posted Image

#5 English OFFLINE  

English

• 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thanks I'll check with the sight sponsers. ALso have a local guy that asked me to bring in the original. If he can't find one then he does rebuilds.

OldCowhand I have several of that style. The old starter I have that has only 10 gears instead of the 11 you'll find on that style. Also the old starter I have is round body...not that the body is the problem. Actually it appears to me that there may be TOO MUCH room between the flywheel and starter but I'm going to put the old one back on in the AM and see how it engages compared to the newer style.

If it helps the old original starter says "made in Japan" on it...as well as Tecumseh. I cannot make out the model/part number on the original.

Oh it's a 16 horse Tec.

Edited by English, April 24, 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:35 PM

It may well be that the mounting ears are sprung, allowing too much clearance. I've seen HH & OH engines with round or square style starters. Earlier ones usually have round.

#7 English OFFLINE  

English

• 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 08:21 AM

HMMM...there's something that may lead me to an answer. I'll check it out in a bit and let you know.