IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 04:54 PM

A lot of you guys go to tractor shows. I've never been to one. Some day I'd like to. Heck, some
day I might take something of mine to a show. Anyway, I'm looking for ideas for makeing
up placards. It seems, I can't remember all the details I'd like to about my GT's. I figure I
might as well start labelling them.

So, please post any pictures, suggestions. What kind of info is important to display?
Materials used? Size? Mounting options?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Are you making these yourself or having them made? I see a lot of those 2 color engraved plastic 4x6 placards. I also see laminated print sheets. These usually have a before pic, some info about work done, etc. I've even seen total investments, original Dealer info, date of purchase, etc. I think the more complete ones are as much for the owner as the people seeing them at the show.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Year, make, and model are a good place to start. You could include any specifics such as who manufactured it and where it was made. Some of the interesting facts about your tractor might be cool too. Such as optional equipment that it has or that was offered for it. I've seen people put up a pin board with before and after photos, brochures, original receipts etc. It all depends on what you want people to know about it. Personally I like to talk to the owners and find out all I can about the tractor if it interests me.

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Mine is just a laminated 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper, printed from the computer, that has just the simple stuff like:

1964 John Deere 110
Owner: Shayna Keebler
Lititz, Pennsylvania

Most shows around here don't need much more than that. You can add as much description and information as you want, but if you are making one for each tractor, then I suggest staying around the 8 1/2" x 11" size, as you don't want the placard to be a distraction from your tractor.

I have seen guys make boards up, say 3' wide x 4' high, that contain before and after pictures of restored tractors, and also containing pieces of literature or sales fliers. They can be made really nice, and can tell a lot about you and how much pride you take in your tractors. These types of boards are usually hanging from a canopy, or sitting in front of the canopy post. I've seen guys that make these size displays for each tractor, and frankly, it's not appealing to the viewer, if he has to look over or around the display, in order to see your tractor. Just my opinion, and not meaning to put guys down, so please, no personal messages.

Let your imagination run wild, and be creative. Have fun with it. It's your's to do with what you you want, and no matter what you come up with, it doesn't matter what other people think. If you really want to draw people to your display, you need to think outside the box, and create things that other guys don't have.

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 09:09 PM

All the shows around here give exhibitors paper placards to write their info on and zip strips to attach it to the tractor. I got tired of writing on them so I always tried to use them several times until they got dirty. Pulling into a show with 10-20 or more tractors and trying to get unloaded and setup takes me a long time even without all the writing.

#6 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 09:19 PM

This is what I have been using from "Creative Engineering", 4-3/4" x 9-5/8";

HPIM2017 - Copy.JPG

This year I got some from "Sign man of Ohio", 3" x 8", which fit garden tractors better;

HPIM2333 (Custom).JPG

Lowell

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 05:49 AM

Will , besides a placard , I enjoy the guys that use a loose leaf binder to show info on the tractor , along with what was said above they'll put pictures of what it looked like when they got , build pics things like that too . Al
  • caseguy and IamSherwood have said thanks