• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 04:27 PM

I have a question concerning mileage and does anyone know the fuel tank size?

OK today I mowed my mothers yard with the JD214 this is the 2nd time I've used the tractor to mow so I am really not familiar
with the the tractor.

Moms yard is less than one acre I'd guess but it's a little over 900 yards from my house to hers just to mow her yard normally takes me around 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours if I take my time, which I normally do.

I normally just tank up and ride over the driveway to her house and I do mow some along the ways.

But today I didn't mow anything but her yard then came home and I was letting it run and I was going to wash off the deck and tractor. Well it ran fine but then it started missing, this was well before any water so I know that wasn't it.

It missed a couple of seconds and then the engine just died. Naturally I panicked a couple of minutes, time for a cigar and thinking. So I checked the electrics and everything appears good.

I checked the fuel tank, I can't see any gas when I shock the tractor so now I think I must be out of gas! Wow and gosh I think man
this thing must be a gas hog!

So without further delay What dang size is the tank and are these things gas hogs? LOL

My LX172, I can mow both sides of that drive way, her yard, the grave yard, then come home mow my own yard, both sides of the driveway and then go out to the main road and mow along the side of the road.

Same with my Cub Cadet 2146, and this takes me around 5 1/2 hours to 6 hours of mowing time and I still have gas left, not much but I do have gas in the tank that is visible to a mark on the tank. Both the LX and Cub have marks that let you know how much gas is left.

Wow, that really surprises me if that's the case these JD200 Series guzzle gas like that. If that was the actual problem. It did crank when I added fuel by the way and it ran fine and I did let it idle about 5 minutes to see if it would do that again to no avail. g

Thanks Folks for helping, I got to say this site is really amazing and the people are are like down home good country folk because they're so welcoming and have some of the best advice I have seen on any forum!

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 07:02 PM

The older engines do use more fuel. It could be that your carb is setup on the rich side as well. I have a 314 but don't mow with it so maybe some of the other guys can give you an idea on what a mower with a K321 Kohler should get for fuel consumption. According to the JD manual the 214 has a 3.5 gallon gas tank. That's a lot of fuel to burn in 2 hrs.
  • maxedout said thank you

#3 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 07:12 PM

i mow an hour and use 1.5 gallons on my twin murray. on my panzer i do the same on a fourth of a tank
  • maxedout said thank you

#4 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Here is a John Deere chart that shows fuel consumption by model.

NOTE: FUEL CONSUMPTION WILL VARY WITH CUTTING CONDITIONS. 1/2 LOAD FIGURES ARE CLOSEST TO MOST CUSTOMER MOWING CONDITIONS.

GPH = GALLONS PER HOUR, LPH - LITERS PER HOUR)

TRACTOR 1/2 LOAD FULL LOAD

210 0.6 GPH 2.3 LPH 1.1 GPH 4.2 LPH
212 0.8 GPH 3.0 LPH 1.3 GPH 4.9 LPH
214 0.9 GPH 3.4 LPH 1.4 GPH 5.3 LPH
216 1.0 GPH 3.8 LPH 1.6 GPH 6.1 LPH

316 (S/N 285001- )0.9 GPH 3.4 LPH 1.4 GPH 5.3 LPH
318 0.9 GPH 3.4 LPH 1.4 GPH 5.3 LPH
322 0.9 GPH 3.4 LPH 1.5 GPH 5.7 LPH
325 0.75 GPH 2.8 LPH 1.25 GPH 4.5 LPH
330 0.4 GPH 1.5 LPH 0.8 GPH 3.0 LPH
332 0.4 GPH 1.5 LPH 0.8 GPH 3.0 LPH
345 0.8 GPH 3.0 LPH 1.3 GPH 4.9 LPH

420 1.0 GPH 3.8 LPH 2.0 GPH 7.6 LPH
430 0.4 GPH 1.5 LPH 0.9 GPH 3.4 LPH

425 0.94 GPH 3.6 LPH 1.57 GPH 5.9 LPH
445 0.98 GPH 3.7 LPH 1.64 GPH 6.2 LPH
455 0.79 GPH 3.0 LPH 1.32 GPH 5.0 LPH

IF FUEL CONSUMPTION IS ABOVE NORMAL CHECK THE FOLLOWING:
- BRAKES DRAGGING
- ENGINE RPM - LOW AND HIGH IDLE SPEEDS SET TO SPECIFICATION
- MOWER DECK BELT OR BRAKES DRAGGING
- DIRTY AIR FILTER
- CHOKE ADJUSTMENT
- FUEL SYSTEM LEAK
- CARBURETOR FLOAT MISADJUSTED
- INCORRECT MAIN JET IN CARBURETOR
- BAD MAIN OR ROD BEARINGS
- OPERATING CONDITIONS; GRASS HEIGHT, HILLS, BALLAST, GROUND SPEED,
ETC.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
FUEL CONSUMPTION BETWEEN MODELS MAY VARY BECAUSE:
- HYDROSTATIC TRANSMISSION IS LESS EFFICIENT THAN GEAR TRANSMISSION.
- ENGINE HAS OVERHEAD VALVES (INCREASE IN COMPRESSION RATIO INCREASES
ENGINE OPERATING EFFICIENCY).
- TOTAL OPERATING TIME ON TRACTOR (IE: WEAR OF ALL ENGINE AND DRIVE
TRAIN COMPONENTS, INCREASING FRICTION).

• daytime dave, Alc, GTTinkerer and 4 others have said thanks

#5 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 10:21 PM

That chart is interesting as heck, so by it, I should be burning almost a gallon per hour. That sounds about right for her yard, I called her after I made the post and asked her how long she thought I mowed today. She said I was over there about 4 hours! I had no idea I was over there that long! No idea, I was convinced she was wrong but she is stuck on around 4 hours and even gave me the times when I started and when I left for home.

We had bad weather here the past several days, I normally mow on Tuesdays or Thursday but because my trip to the hospital I had to change to Monday or Wednesday and we have a forecast for rain on Wednesday so today was it or wait till Thursday and again chance rain.

I did take my time because the grass was damp in some areas, I hate to mow when the grass is damp and normally I refuse to do so but again this hospital thing has me on pins and needles.

Well based upon this chart and my moms information I'd say I am crackers! LOL! So the JD ain't so bad on gas as I was thinking.

I still can not imagine it took me that long to mow, because I was totally unaware and enjoyed my mowing. I guess the old saying time flies when you're having fun is very true. I have an ear problem with ringing in my ears constantly so the only time I can have some peace of mind is when I am mowing the lawn all I can hear then is the engine and the deck. So I must have been totally zoned out today is all I can say!

Well I will test this chart next time I mow because I am still hard pressed to think I was over there that long.

I will touch on this subject as soon as I test this new info out and let you know my results. Gosh when you talk about GT's the time just flies and so does the fonts. I love these things!