• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 11:39 AM

I am sure before I post this a lot of folks will question my tip but rest assured I've tried this and done this for several years and it works without a hitch.

Decks rust and they take some serious abuse so after several years of trying to keep my decks painted and looking good both on underside and top side I came up with an idea.

If you've heard of Rino Bed liner then you know where I am going, my first attempt was with under coating and it worked but it only lasted 2 mowing seasons. No it doesn't cause grass to build up or stick any worse than normal, the thing is we don't mow when the grass is wet here in the first place and I am sure folks don't mow any where else when the grass is wet or damp it's just not good practice. But what do I know..

OK here's what I do, I clean the deck, remove all belts and covers and I remove the blades.

I power wash the deck, remove any grass or dirt from under and top.

I sand rusty spots and clean them up, after cleaned I use a little thinner to make sure I cleaned the spots.

I use some fine grit sand paper on the cleaned areas and then I sand lightly the entire deck.

Next I use Rino Bed Liner and a roller, small one is best and I cover the entire deck both top and bottom.

I normally wait until I am going to have at least 2 good sun shine days with temps above 70 degrees.

I roll the whole deck under side and top side. Now I use the Rino Brand or the Brand that you get at Advance Auto and I get it in the gallon size.

After the deck dries completely I prime the top side only because the bottom side is now done.

I prime it using a good primer.

Then I use John Deere Yellow or you can get Implement Paint at Walmart that matches very well.

Paint the deck and now I am almost done, I do all my maintenance like grease and belt changes. I always check my deck bearings before any painting is done.

The covers, I do them last and I use the same methods, I clean, sand, wash, thinner, sand and apply primer, then the rino liner and then paint and re-install.

Now I am very sure folks will certainly question this method of protection and prevention. First thing you'll think is grass will stick and build up and most anything other thing you can off not to do it. Listen, consider it because it's tough stuff and it lasts, I have 3 decks done this way and they've been done that way for 4 years. Normally all I do is a touch up with washing and painting and normally most often is washing it up!

I do not see any disadvantages with using bed liner on the underside, I do not see any differences in mowing or grass being blown out from the deck. I do not see any more build up than normal, maybe because I never mow when it's wet or damp. I do see an advantage on having to re-paint and I do not have any problems with rust now as I did before. I'd guess Rust will always be a problem but with the decks I have done, I do not see that rust popping up as I did before. I use my mowers, I don't play with them or just have them for a hobby, I use them almost daily and even in the winter months I use them.

I have one Garden Tractor I did the entire mower! Fenders, Engine Hood and hey just the entire mower, Painted it and it looks really good and this thing is tough! I'll be honest, I have purposely ran this thing into bushes and it never phases it.

John Deer went to the crazy plastic that breaks if you look at it and since I Rino'ed the hood No more breaks! I think because now the Sun can't hit the plastic and the plastic doesn't degrade. I am sure if I abused the hood it would break but just normal riding and the occasional bush doesn't break the hood any more. Before I did this I had to constantly repair the hood because one it was getting old and two because the plastic was starting to degrade from sun light hitting the plastic. So now I have a sun screen so to speak and the plastic is protected from the sun and elements.

This hood was repaired so many times it looks like Frankenstein but now it looks pretty good because the Rino Liner helped conceal my repairs.

Ok guys you have a super day!

Thank anyone who reads my tip and at least consider it because I will bet you would be very satisfied with the results.

Now this is for Garden Tractors you are planning to actually use and work with. Not show room but still it might just be something that gets a closer look too if you do it right because it does look good.
  • MH81, tinner, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 01:25 PM

A note about the Rhino linings (or other coatings): I had my first truck bed done back in 1999 in basic black. In 2008 I bought another truck with no bed liner. The question that floored me was: Do you want your liner to match your paint? So check into it, it may be possible to get your liner to match your favorite GT if you want to go this route.
  • hatedge and larryd have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 04:25 PM

Sounds like a good idea for any implement or parts of a tractor that tends to rust. You could probably use it to good effect on foot rests and the underside of fenders, frames etc. Thanks for the suggestion. Any chance you could post some pics of the finished decks and tractor?

#4 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:19 AM

Thanks a lot, I just got my first tractor and anything to help it last longer and stop that rust sounds good to me. My deck is on the saw bench drying its first coat of paint so ill see to get the underside coated. Ill see what it looks like next spring and if satisfactory ill coat everything I can on and around the tractor.
  • larryd said thank you

#5 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:47 AM

Yes, I'd be interested to hear some long term results posted back here. The biggest problem I've had on my re-built deck so far is the new pieces welded in. Grass sticks to the welds, so I guess it's best to grind them down flat.

Was also considering a future powder coating and be interested to hear if anyone has gone that route.
  • larryd said thank you

#6 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Another 'spin' on this is what I am considering for my ford decks. I know the 'bed liner' is tough stuff. If any of you have seen the 'mythbusters' on bedlam bedliner...you know it is for real.

My idea while I have not implemented it yet ...is still just a theory but technically it works.

POR15 is a very durable paint which is used to Paint Over Rust (thus the POR), the stuff is like $50 a quart and is extremely tough. One of the characteristics of POR is it is 'self leveling' which means it will naturally fill in pits and divots and when it is dried not only does it prevent rust but is super smooth and shiny. The rationale behind the ford deck since they are particularly prone to 'rust' but the same concept applies, prep the deck, put the stuff on, let it work its magic then put on 'good spindles, belts and pulleys, and balanced sharpened blades'...then do this to a spare deck, so when the blades get dull....viola, just slide the new deck on and you're good to go...

But I do think the original poster has an excellent idea...and I am sure the bedliner will work just fine...

#7 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Por15 is great, a lot of people use it on their old vars to stop the rust. after a week or two you can hit with a hammer and it does not chip. I had used it on a 73 Charger and you can paint over it.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 11:38 PM

Only thing about POR 15 is the fumes. They are wicked. It works as advertised, no doubt, but if you get even a little of the fumes, you will be sick as a dog the next day.
Anything that makes me that ill and doesn't involve a weekend of debauchery makes me leery to the long term effects.

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 03:07 AM

I used it on the bottom of my mower deck and the inside of my snow thrower.
  • larryd said thank you

#10 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 05:19 AM

Maxedout: Sounds like a good fix allright . The Liner must have a good balance of flex and strength to handle chipping too. I may give it a try. My place has lots LOTS of rock, pebbles etc. and it might be a little quieter too.
  • larryd said thank you

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:30 PM

I tried this as well on the deck that I redid earlier this spring. I used the 3M version from spray cans. I haven't looked at it since I started mowing, I'll have a good look at it at the end of the season (sometime in October probably) and report back on how mine held up.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 04:19 AM

Por15 is great, a lot of people use it on their old vars to stop the rust. after a week or two you can hit with a hammer and it does not chip. I had used it on a 73 Charger and you can paint over it.

I tried POR15 on one of my decks a few years ago,and it did not hold up more than 3 or 4 mowings.
  • larryd said thank you

#13 Jarvisih OFFLINE  

Jarvisih
  • Member No: 10429
  • 9 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 11:17 AM

I used 3m chip gaurd inside my frames. Gives it an old school textured look prime and paint right over it. Iv had a wide frame sitting outside for 2 years in the weather and no sighn of rust blistering threw. Iv also done this on front axles and rear ends looks like a factory textured metal after painted

Edited by Jarvisih, September 15, 2012 - 07:17 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#14 Jarvisih OFFLINE  

Jarvisih
  • 9 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 11:55 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jarvisih, July 07, 2012 - 11:57 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#15 Jarvisih OFFLINE  

Jarvisih
  • 9 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

dont mind the dirt its been outside for some time and i pulled the rearend out of this frame, what do u guys think?
  • larryd said thank you