84 replies to this topic

#61 redcarkids ONLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 02:27 PM

The plastic dash surround was cracked up at every mounting hole.  The front hood plastic piece had some small cracks in it.  I used the same automotive glue to fill the cracks in and I cut out a piece of plastic 1/4 thick the shape of the dash surround bottom. I glue this to the dash surround and drilled new holes in it to secure the dash back on the frame. this really worked out well. 

Attached Thumbnails

• miscellanious 136.JPG
  • miscellanious 137.JPG
  • miscellanious 138.JPG
  • miscellanious 139.JPG
  • miscellanious 140.JPG
  • miscellanious 141.JPG
  • miscellanious 142.JPG

• Sawdust said thank you

#62 redcarkids ONLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 02:35 PM

After primer sanding paint and polish the red came out pretty good for a amateur.  I bought my decals at Maple Hunter decals and got the complete set for 36.00 + shipping.  I was very happy with this set.  It was short 1 decal to make the set complete that I think the mf 8 set had.  they sent that decal to me free of charge.  So here is a plug for them. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 0324151207b.jpg
  • 0324151227.jpg
  • 0324151207.jpg
  • 0324151228.jpg
  • 0324151337a.jpg
  • 0324151337b.jpg
  • 0324151358.jpg
  • 0324151358a.jpg
  • 0324151359b.jpg

• DH1, limebuzz and Sawdust have said thanks

#63 redcarkids ONLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 02:40 PM

I had to buy 2 new front tires and got 2 balloons for the back tires.  Painted the rims up with silver mist and the front grill.  The rest of the mower is flint metallic gray.  Now I am working on the engine.  Got the tank off and debating how to proceed.  The engine ran so plan on putting it back in. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 0330151553.jpg
  • 0330151554.jpg
  • 0330151554a.jpg
  • 0404151625.jpg
  • 0404151625a.jpg
  • 0404151626.jpg
  • 0404151626a.jpg
  • 1230141028a.jpg

• DH1, limebuzz, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#64 redcarkids ONLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 02:43 PM

When I get the engine back in and can take the mower outside I will get some better photos and post them then. 

#65 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 03:08 PM

Looking real good!

• redcarkids said thank you

#66 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 03:20 PM

Nice work. It looks great. I bet you're anxious to take her for a spin.

#67 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 03:36 PM

The plastic dash surround was cracked up at every mounting hole.  The front hood plastic piece had some small cracks in it.  I used the same automotive glue to fill the cracks in and I cut out a piece of plastic 1/4 thick the shape of the dash surround bottom. I glue this to the dash surround and drilled new holes in it to secure the dash back on the frame. this really worked out well. 

That dash looks like a twin of the one for the MF12 I have been working on. All the mounting hole pieces were broke off but one and it had a crack in it. What type of automotive glue did you use? I used a 5 min epoxy to glue the pieces back on and then built up the inside with fiberglass matting.

#68 redcarkids ONLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 09:41 PM

That dash looks like a twin of the one for the MF12 I have been working on. All the mounting hole pieces were broke off but one and it had a crack in it. What type of automotive glue did you use? I used a 5 min epoxy to glue the pieces back on and then built up the inside with fiberglass matting.

I had put a new tailgate on my truck and bought some 3M plastic and emblem adhesive.  Figured if it was weather proof and could hold a emblem on the truck in 10 min. it should be strong enough to hold the plastic pieces together with the new 1/4  thick pattern piece as well.  I also used it on the slip resistant feet pads.  seems to have worked well there also.    They sold me a 5 oz tube of the stuff, so I figured why not give a try else where.

• Sawdust said thank you

#69 redcarkids ONLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 09:51 PM

Here is another trick I did.  The mower comes with a braking system that squeezes a plate off the transmission.  Well the brakes had no padding left on them to squeeze with.  I had just replaced pads on my sons jaguar last fall and the old pads, sat outside all winter.  I took a old metallic pad and a chisel and broke off 2 pieces of the pad.  I used my floor sander and rounded and smoothed the metallic pad to the size I needed.  about a quarter in size.  I then glued the pad  using the 3m adhesive and let it dry overnight.  I then thinned the pad to size about 3 quarters thick.  I will find out when I get the motor back in if this will work. All looks good so far.    I had called 3 massey dealers across the country looking for brake replacements and came up empty handed.  The system said they had them in stock but when the dealer would go look he would come back and say they weren't there. 

I can honestly say this will be the only MF7 in the country with jaguar brakes on it.  lol

Attached Thumbnails

• 0324151402.jpg
  • 0324151402a.jpg

• IamSherwood, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#70 redcarkids ONLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 09:54 PM

I did have to grind the  pads to a angle to match the flatness of the plate they squeeze.

#71 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 05:51 AM

That should work for the brakes, and the 2m emblem adhesive is some strong stuff. My 8 was the same way, there are new bicycles with disk brakes on the front of bicycles. I stopped at a local bike shop picked up a pair of pads and used epoxy to glue them on have had no issues.

• IamSherwood, redcarkids and Sawdust have said thanks

#72 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 12:30 PM

Nice paint job! I read the whole thread and commend you for sticking with it.

#73 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 01:16 PM

Here is another trick I did.  The mower comes with a braking system that squeezes a plate off the transmission.  Well the brakes had no padding left on them to squeeze with.  I had just replaced pads on my sons jaguar last fall and the old pads, sat outside all winter.  I took a old metallic pad and a chisel and broke off 2 pieces of the pad.  I used my floor sander and rounded and smoothed the metallic pad to the size I needed.  about a quarter in size.  I then glued the pad  using the 3m adhesive and let it dry overnight.  I then thinned the pad to size about 3 quarters thick.  I will find out when I get the motor back in if this will work. All looks good so far.    I had called 3 massey dealers across the country looking for brake replacements and came up empty handed.  The system said they had them in stock but when the dealer would go look he would come back and say they weren't there. 
I can honestly say this will be the only MF7 in the country with jaguar brakes on it.  lol

We have a shop a few counties over that rebuild tractor clutches and brakes. I bet they can relign the brakes or tell a man what type of adhesive to use. My only concern about the 3M adhesive is if it will hold up to the heat generated during braking. I suppose time will tell and you're only out some time in this.

#74 redcarkids ONLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 06:42 PM

Well I got the motor in this weekend.  All looks good.  She started up and ran. :D   I do have a surge problem.  up and down,  the governor is really over working.  Had the neighbor guy comedown and we tried to fix it and could not come up with a combination to stop it.  I got on ebay and ordered a new carb.  Will try this and see what happens.  Still having throttle cable control issues also.  I got a flyer this weekend showing the throttle cable coming down to the control from the top.  when I hook it up this way my dash panel is backwards.   So full throttle is at idle and idle gives me full throttle???  If I route it to the bottom and come up into the hole it works like the dash panel says but I don't seem to have the control over the engine speed. :wallbanging: I will start with the carb replacement then go forward.  May need a new cable? 

Attached Thumbnails

• $T2eC16ZHJF8FFp9ybdJqBSPuTzhYn!~~60_57.jpg
  • miscellanious 127.JPG
  • 1230141028b.jpg
  • 0407151427.jpg
  • 0407151428.jpg

• DH1 and Gabriel have said thanks

#75 redcarkids ONLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 05:24 PM

Well drove it out of the shop today. :dancingbanana: Looked real good against freshly  mowed yard.  I am in need of a new throttle cable or a lesson on how to attach the one I got :wallbanging: .  I put the new carb on and I now have it idling, where I am happy.  That is with the throttle cable disconnected, I can manually adjust the speed and it seems to run fine. After I hook up the throttle cable it wants to surge .  I am looking for a NOS cable for the hook up I have.  Not sure the length and how much movement the wire should have. May be some of the problem. Here are some outside photos of the mower.

Attached Thumbnails

• mf7 002.JPG
  • mf7 001.JPG
  • mf7 003.JPG
  • mf7 004.JPG
  • mf7 005.JPG
  • mf7 006.JPG
  • mf7 012.JPG
  • mf7 016.JPG
  • mf7 019.JPG

• DH1, limebuzz, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks