#46 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 04:03 PM

I believe it was off the mf7. I got the mower and extra engine from my uncle. He has since passed away so I can't ask, but I thought he said the spare one used to be on it. Some of the parts I'm sure were swapped around.
  • jstiteler said thank you

#47 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 07:13 PM

So am I safe to say this is possibly the original engine, shoud, linkage, and set up?? Does anyone else have this type set up.

Attached Thumbnails

• alex 012.JPG

#48 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Went out today and decided to drive the mf7 around a little. Started the mower up and backed it out of the shop. The kids were hitting golfballs in the back yard. I put the mower in 3rd gear and chased balls around for about 45 mins. :dancingbanana: The mower ran pretty good. With a load on the engine, per the drive belt the motor speed stayed consistent. I had throttle at first but as I ran it the the throttle went away and there was no control over the rpms. As long as I was in gear and running the mower it ran fine, even up a hill the govenor kick in and pulled me. When I pushed the clutch to stop the motor was running way to fast, again no throttle control at all. Still feel i am missing a spring somewhere on this set up. If anyone has this set up on any type of tecumseh, please send photos of linkage. I here these motor were used for snowblowers also.

#49 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 07:07 PM

The Tractor supply where I live carries M/F red and grey paint in spray cans. As for the no spark, check the points and make sure they are clean and set at the correct gap.Can't remember off the top of my head what the setting is supposed to be but it's easy enough to find in the manuals section of this site.

#50 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 07:22 PM

If you can get the model and spec no. off the engine you may be able to get some info by looking up the parts diagrams for the specific spec no. on a parts supplier site like PSEP.com Heres a link to the page with the parts lookup. I've not seen a setup like yours. Have you checked the carb throttle plate. I have a H35 carb apart right now that had the throttle plate shaft gummed up to the point that the return spring would not close it.
http://www.psep2.biz...ts?aribrand=TPC

#51 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 05:52 AM

I have a 10 hp Tec. with a walbro carb. that was acting the same as your 7. A friend of mine suggested running a couple of tanks of higher octane fuel with sea foam additive through it to clean out the gum build up in the jets. Figured what the heck it's worth a try. About 2/3rds through the second tank the engine started to smooth out. By the 3rd tank of fuel she was running smooth as silk. These small engines just don't seem to like the ethanol additive that's in the fuel.
Just my 2 cents. :smilewink:
Ross

#52 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 10:57 PM

I have 2 MF-7s. One had the original H70 and the other had been repowered to another Tecumseh, but I couldn't find the model number. I've attached a photo of the H70.

I'm currently in the process of repowering one of the MF-7s to a Tecumseh 9 hp OHV---I'll start a post and put pictures in shortly.

I couldn't get my H70 to run--it would rotate twice and then hang up for a moment... spins free without spark plug and was getting spark but could never get it to pop over, even with carb cleaner sprayed in the spark plug hole.

The MF7 wiith the bigger engine runs, but the engine is tired... I've let my mom use it for her lawn around the house and she loves it--it's very nimble with a sharp turning radius--that's why I'm repowering one of them.

If anyone has a mower deck that fits the MF7 or MF8, let me know, one of the machines doesn't have a deck and I'd like to get one and use it on MY lawn.

Tecumseh H70.jpg

2012-06-09_15-17-35_147.jpg

#53 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 01:22 AM

The hang up sounds like a stuck valve?

#54 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 04:37 PM

The hang up sounds more like a lack of compression release. It may be that the valve clearance has increased to the point that the valve isn't being lifted by the compression releif pin. It's also possible that the starter is tired and just doesn't have the power to push the engine against compression.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#55 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 10:29 PM

I have a 10 hp Tec. with a walbro carb. that was acting the same as your 7. A friend of mine suggested running a couple of tanks of higher octane fuel with sea foam additive through it to clean out the gum build up in the jets. Figured what the heck it's worth a try. About 2/3rds through the second tank the engine started to smooth out. By the 3rd tank of fuel she was running smooth as silk. These small engines just don't seem to like the ethanol additive that's in the fuel.
Just my 2 cents. :smilewink:
Ross

I have some sea foam, will give it a try. I can run this mower around the yard for hours with no problems except for the throttle adjustment. I have no up or down throttle???? It seems to be set at 1 spot and that it. Whe I come to a stop it is running to fast and you can't slow it down. Utah Said he may have some parts for me off of one of his old engines. I would like to go back to what I believe is original set up on linkage to the carb. This may solve my throttle condition.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#56 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 05:37 AM

How are you making out with this issue. I had a carb on a HH100 that gave me similiar grief.
Changed carb, problem solved. It acted like it was running lean. Wouldn't come down off
high throttle. I still think that the problem was a cracked carb, but I haven't got around to testing
it for that. Can you get your hands a known working carb, and try it?

#57 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 06:01 AM

I may have to go this route and try a new carb. Don't have one available to use though!! If the carb is the problem then I should not need all the linkage parts? If what you are saying the carb could be cracked or have a air leak somewhere? I did take the float bowl off when I cleaned it right after I got it and now I have read that the bowl should have been marked and put back on just as it came off. Is there anything to this thought? could I have the bowl {off center} some what from the original position which could be causing the problem?

#58 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 02:00 PM

Well its been a long time since I posted anything here about my Massey Ferguson 7.  I decided to tear her down this winter and do a restoration of somewhat.  Not every nut and bolt came off but I will show you the progress as I went and where I am at. I stripped it down to the frame, but did not take everything off underneath. 

Attached Thumbnails

• miscellanious 119.JPG
  • 0201151707b.jpg
  • 0201151707.jpg
  • 0201151707c.jpg
  • 0203151610.jpg

#59 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 02:11 PM

I Cleaned everything really well then primed it all.  I used rust.  auto primer paint.  I had ordered paint off the internet but when I got it I was not happy with the colors so I took a loss and sent it back and went to the Massey Ag dealer and got the original colors from them.  I took photos of all the decals for later reference for proper location. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 0303150925b.jpg
  • 0207151444.jpg
  • 0208151251.jpg
  • 0208151251a.jpg
  • 0208151251b.jpg
  • 0208151252a.jpg

#60 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 02:20 PM

After I painted the dash and the front grill black I painted the frame. My mower came with the foot pads as a option and it had the asphalt type slip pads.  I carefully removed these and reused them.  spray painted them black and used an automotive emblem glue to put them back on. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 0201150912b.jpg
  • 0324151207a.jpg
  • 0324151207b.jpg
  • 0324151207c.jpg

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks