84 replies to this topic

#16 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Well its been a good day! Got off work at 5:00am this morning and hit the shop. Got points and condensor bought and was going to install them this morning. Thought i would crank the engine one more time with a different spark plug before tearing into it and see if i had spark today. Low and behold this plug sparked like it should. I got the starting fluid out and sprayed a little in the carb and she ran for 3-4 seconds. :dancingbanana: Now this was good news. I did this about 10 times but she just did not seem to be getting gas. I drained the tank of all the old gas and noticed there was very little smell to it. I then decided to clean the carb and check the float. After removing the carb and doing a minor teardown and seeing that everything was looking good i put it all back together. I put in fresh gas, cranked it and still no go. She would run fine for 3-4 seconds with a squirt of starting fluid. Now don't laugh :laughingteeth: because i am a rookie at this. For some reason i decided to take out the needle valve in the bottom of the bowl to see if gas was getting to the bowl. Sure enough drip drip drip. :dancingbanana: . Then for some reason I decide to not seat the valve and screw it in then back it off a little. Cranked it again and bang off she went, black smoke and all then it cleared up. With some quick adjustments she was running pretty smooth. I let it run for 10-15 mins just grinning ear to ear. So now i thought lets get brave and drive it somewhere. :dancingbanana: I get on and put it into gear and nothing. :( I shut it down jacked it up thinking there was no drive belt or it was broke or worse the trans in bad. Guess what the belt was there but was on the shaft up by the engine instead of in the gear. I did a quick belt fix and started her back up and backed her out of the shop. :dancingbanana: I spent the next 30 min running around the yard and driveway. I still have some adjustments to do with the carb and throttle cable but she ran pretty good the whole time.
Tonight I got a call from the previous owner and he tells me he found the original manual for it and that i could come over and get it. He was thrilled that I had got it running also.
It's been a great day so I took tonight off work. Yes I used a vacation day. :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0427121431.jpg
  • downsized_0427121432a.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#17 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 12:04 AM

Great News! I enjoy my little MF8. Very nice cutting deck and very nimble little tractor.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#18 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Great News! I enjoy my little MF8. Very nice cutting deck and very nimble little tractor.

Ok I need some carbarator help! :mad2: I cant seem to get this mower to idle down. :confuse: When it warms up and I reduce the choke to zero it wants to die. I have to leave the choke on just a little bit. Same thing with the needle valve on the bottom of the carb bowl. any more or less then a 1 and 1/2 turn out it wants to die. I thought this was the idle adjustment screw. As you can see I am a mess with these. Does anyone have a good photo of thier mf7 carb to compare it to? I question if it is the right one for the mower. Also any adjustment tips would be appreciated. I have very little movement at the carb when i move the throttle cable up and down. The wire moves but does very little action at the carb itself. I may have a spring missing somewhere and don't know it. Also today i was running it around the yard and everytime I pushed the clutch to stop, the belt wanted to roll off the pully at the engine. Can some one show me a photo of how the belt guards are suppose to look to keep the belt in line :confuse: ? The manual shows a clutch adjustment, do i need to do this and will it help keep the belt on?

#19 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Ok I need some carbarator help! :mad2: I cant seem to get this mower to idle down. :confuse: When it warms up and I reduce the choke to zero it wants to die. I have to leave the choke on just a little bit. Same thing with the needle valve on the bottom of the carb bowl. any more or less then a 1 and 1/2 turn out it wants to die. I thought this was the idle adjustment screw. As you can see I am a mess with these. Does anyone have a good photo of thier mf7 carb to compare it to? I question if it is the right one for the mower. Also any adjustment tips would be appreciated. I have very little movement at the carb when i move the throttle cable up and down. The wire moves but does very little action at the carb itself. I may have a spring missing somewhere and don't know it. Also today i was running it around the yard and everytime I pushed the clutch to stop, the belt wanted to roll off the pully at the engine. Can some one show me a photo of how the belt guards are suppose to look to keep the belt in line :confuse: ? The manual shows a clutch adjustment, do i need to do this and will it help keep the belt on?

Well here's a update. Had the neighbor guy come down and talk me thru the carb. We now have throttle range, hi and low. We got to looking at the drive belt and noticed it was not tracking right. :( Get this, are you ready for it??? The dual pully on the engine was on backwards! After we took it off and turned it around things started lineing up. The belt guard for the drive belt went into place better. Now I have 1 question? The other belt guard the square one, how and what does it cover? Does it keep the short attachment belt in place or does it have anything to do with the drive belt?

Edited by redcarkids, May 01, 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#20 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 07:20 PM

The pulley on the engine should be with the larger one inside close to the block transmission drive, and the smaller one on the outside for the PTO drive.
  • redcarkids and Sawdust have said thanks

#21 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 09:39 PM

The pulley on the engine should be with the larger one inside close to the block transmission drive, and the smaller one on the outside for the PTO drive.

Thanks. Do you have any problems with the drive belt coming off? I flipped the pully and everything is lined up now but when I push the clutch/brake pedal down, the belt gets real loose and sometimes kicks off. It looks to be fairly new, not chewed up any. With all the little problems I have had I am wondering now if the belt is the right one. It pulls me around fine when in operation, but when I need to stop and push the clutch, te belt goes nuts on the bottom side going back to the transmission and 2 out of 3 times kicks off. I would like to see a photo of the front belt gaurds and where they go. The big one that is shaped in a square is the one I need to see. If anyone has any or can take some photos or has a manual that shows a diagram, of this area, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

#22 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:07 AM

These might help with your belt issue.
Also, check the sticky notes to see if you've got the right belt there.

P1010059.JPG
P1010043.JPG

Not sure what guard you're talking about. Have you got a picture of it?

Edit.
Ooops, just realized I posted the wrong pictures. I'll try to get the right ones soon.

Edited by IamSherwood, May 04, 2012 - 07:14 AM.

• redcarkids said thank you

#23 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 10:22 PM

These might help with your belt issue.
Also, check the sticky notes to see if you've got the right belt there.

P1010059.JPG
P1010043.JPG

Not sure what guard you're talking about. Have you got a picture of it?

Edit.
Ooops, just realized I posted the wrong pictures. I'll try to get the right ones soon.

The top photo was perfect. Thanks I need the guard over the small pully and I dont have the round guard over top of the shoots at the bottom where the belt goes back to the front. The belt numbers match what the mower calls for. Your bottom photo shows a different belt guard set up then mine. Mine is a 1973, what year is your mf7? I also noticed you have foot pegs in the bottom left corner for your feet, I have the full foot pads?? Could these be differences of the 5 year span of this model? In my photos the square wire is what I had for a guard on the front pully and I have no wire guard on the 3 inch pully under the deck. No wonder I cant keep the belt in place. Thanks for taking the time IamSherwood and sending the photos. At least I have a idea on where to strat on making some guards.

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0502121829.jpg
  • downsized_0502121825b.jpg
  • downsized_0502121828a.jpg
  • downsized_0502121826b.jpg

Edited by redcarkids, May 05, 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#24 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Well I ordered a new drive belt today. Went out this morning and made some belt guards for the pully and the shoot to keep the belt in place. This seemed to work. Got on the mower to put it into gear and could not because the belt woould not quit running the transmission. What I have come up with is the belt was wore so much that it is riding deep into the engine pully and its not slipping when the clutch is pressed to allow the transmission to stop so I can put it into gear. Hoping a new belt will ride higher in the pulley and will slip like it should to allow the transmisson to stop so I can shift. Does this thinking sound reasonable? Is there anything I have missed that might cause the belt not to slip when the clutch is pressed? Thoughts or ideas appreciated.

#25 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Sometimes, you just gotta play with those guides.

Try this.

P1010039.JPG

#26 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Well I ordered a new drive belt today. Went out this morning and made some belt guards for the pully and the shoot to keep the belt in place. This seemed to work. Got on the mower to put it into gear and could not because the belt woould not quit running the transmission. What I have come up with is the belt was wore so much that it is riding deep into the engine pully and its not slipping when the clutch is pressed to allow the transmission to stop so I can put it into gear. Hoping a new belt will ride higher in the pulley and will slip like it should to allow the transmisson to stop so I can shift. Does this thinking sound reasonable? Is there anything I have missed that might cause the belt not to slip when the clutch is pressed? Thoughts or ideas appreciated.

My MF8 did that when I first got it. What mostly solved my problem was to adjust one of the guides so that it "Pinched" the belt as the clutch idler was moved. You could also see if there is a guide close to the engine pulley that would support the belt when it loosens so that the engine pulley doesn't continue to grab the belt.

#27 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 12:31 PM

There is a guide on the engine pully but the belt is running below the out edge of the pully so the belt guide never has a chance to drag against the back of the belt to help stop it. When I push the clutch pedal the belt never comes up or out of the v enough to drag on the guide. This is why I am thinking the belt is worn on the sides and is running to low into the pully.

#28 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Well I got the new belt today and rushed out to put it on. Adjusted the belt guards like the one shown above. Started it up and pushed on the clutch and guess what? It worked :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :smilewink: :laughingteeth: I was able to shift without any gear grinding, the belt stopped like it should. and I drove the mower around the yard for about 20 min. The old belt had worn so thin in spots I bet there was 1/8 of the belt missing on the edges. Thanks to all for the help. Found this parts tractor at the Portland swap yesterday. $160.00 asking price. If he comes down I may buy it for the parts. May not be a bad idea to have one around if I decide to do a full resto so I can look at it to put the restored one back together. Think I can convince the wife???

Attached Thumbnails

• swap meet 2 010.JPG
  • swap meet 2 011.JPG

• Sawdust said thank you

#29 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 01:09 AM

Good to hear you got it dialed in.
That one at the swap, isn't a bad lookin machine. The deck alone is almost worth
the 160, if it's good.
Besides that, you can never have too many tractors.

I like your way of thinking. Convince the wife, by telling her you need a pattern to
work to, so you can reassemble one. LOL Silly me, I've been doing it with the same
old digital camera. LOL

#30 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Well as the saying goes you snooze you loose. I snoozed! Got to portland this morning and1st thing drove by the mower and it was gone. Sold for $150.00. Still learning lessons about over thinking things at the age of 47 and waiting to see if its the right thing to do. I need to be a little more inpulsive. I don't know how many deals I have missed by waiting. I did come across this one today but it was so way beyond the 1st one I looked at.
I posted a lot of photos on the Bolens link here in the Barn Section. The title Sold at Portland Swap meet has the photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0518120843a.jpg