84 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I bought a new project today. I have been tracing this mower for a while now. I spotted it in a barn when I was called to haul away some junk items. I took home a Bolens power ho and restored it. This mower was sitting in the barn also at the time. The owner had past away and his son was cleaning out the barn. The son wanted to keep the mower. A year past and i ask the son if he was doing anything with the mower and he told me he had sold it to another friend in our church. I approached this guy 6 months ago and he said he had intentions of restoring it but lost interest. He had another member of the church interested in it who had first bids. Last week I asked this guy if he had sold it and he said no and that it was for sale. He told me to come over and make a offer. I walked out with the mower for $100.00. It looks to be all there. The model is MF 7 serial number is 1590243057 The 3 could be a 8. Can anyone tell me the year made? I got the deck with it and it seems to be in decent shape also. DEck serial was mf710 serial 1590 865 097. Also what size deck is this a 38"?

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0422121608.jpg
  • downsized_0422121611.jpg
  • downsized_0422121622.jpg
  • downsized_0422121608a.jpg

Edited by redcarkids, May 01, 2012 - 02:45 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Nice find! And great price. Good luck with it. Won't be long till some of the Massey guys come along to help you out.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Looks like you have a 1973, last yr they made the MF7.
The mower deck is a 34" cut.
You did good for what you paid. :thumbs:

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 10:34 AM

That's a nice looking 7 other than the seat. It looks like the plastic hood cap and dash are in good condition. They make a nice small mower or first tractor for kids. They are easy to handle and have a tight turning radius.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 04:17 PM

We had an MF7 for a long time. I learned to "drive" behind it's steering wheel. Wish it was still around

Yours looks to be in pretty good shape overall. Nice price too.

Edited by daytime dave, April 23, 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#6 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 04:59 PM

That's a nice looking 7 other than the seat. It looks like the plastic hood cap and dash are in good condition. They make a nice small mower or first tractor for kids. They are easy to handle and have a tight turning radius.

The hood cap is in great shape, the dash looks good on the outside but today when i was power washing it, i noticed under the hood where the plastic bolts to the frame some cracks around the holes. Still very solid. I agree on the turning radius. It is none running as of now till I get a battery bought and then we will see what happens. I do know the throttle cable is very tight. I get very little action on the carb when mowing the lever. Any Ideas as to what to soak the cable with or should I just replace it?

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Looks like you have a 1973, last yr they made the MF7.
The mower deck is a 34" cut.
You did good for what you paid. :thumbs:

Is this a 7 horse motor?

Edited by redcarkids, April 23, 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 05:56 PM

Is this a 7 horse motor?

Yes suppose to be a H70 Tecumseh 7hp.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 06:45 PM

You can usually free up those cables. Check it to make sure it's not bent anywhere. The ones on my 74 MF8 are original and move like new. You can put some penetrating oil on them and try to get it freed up. After it's running smooth I'd dunk it in paint thinner to get any remaining dirt and oil out of it then I would use a very light oil or maybe even a silicone lubricant on it.

#10 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Yes suppose to be a H70 Tecumseh 7hp.

Were these pretty good engines? What about paint? Any heads up's as to where to get the silver and red at?

#11 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 04:35 AM

Were these pretty good engines? What about paint? Any heads up's as to where to get the silver and red at?

Not really a long lasting durable engine, they are Aluminum block with NO cast iron liner.
I get Paint from the Massey dealer.

#12 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 04:20 PM

Well I got a new battery today and installed it. The starter cranked fine but no fire. I had a buddy with me who I consider motor smart. We took the plug out and did not see any spark. I grabbed a good spark plug from another engine and got a couple good sparks then none then maybe 1 little one and so on. HIs first thoughts were the condencor was bad. We check for compression by putting my thumb over the spark plug hole and cranked the engine. It blowed my thumb off the hole :dancingbanana: . So my next step is to find a condensor. Any leads to as if I am going the right direction? I assume a good spark is where I need to start? Before I tear into it is the condencer internal or external? I am going to say this mower has not ran in 10-15 years. could the flywheel be rusted up and just need a good cleaning? Whats your thoughts?

#13 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 04:28 PM

You can usually free up those cables. Check it to make sure it's not bent anywhere. The ones on my 74 MF8 are original and move like new. You can put some penetrating oil on them and try to get it freed up. After it's running smooth I'd dunk it in paint thinner to get any remaining dirt and oil out of it then I would use a very light oil or maybe even a silicone lubricant on it.

Thanks for the info Brian. The cable is freed up some and is moving now. Still working it back and forth. Used penitraiting oil on the cable, there was no bends. Does your throttle lever go all the way to the top of the slot and all the way down to the bottom? MIne seems to travel only say 3 inches of the 5 it can. Short 1 inch from the top and 1 inch from the bottom of the slot. Am I expecting it to go all the way up and down like the choke lever and its not designed too?

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Mine both seem to go the full distance. Mine however, are not installed on the tractor right now as it's being restored. There should be 2 stops on the plate that the handle attaches to. The stops limit the travel of the lever at both ends on mine. If yours are hooked up to the engine then I'm not sure if they both travel the full distance.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Looks good! Other then a little surface rust on the silver parts, It looks very good! Good luck with it!