24 replies to this topic

#16 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 12:46 AM

Wow!! That is some FORCE! Almost makes you wish there was a shear pin in there somewhere.

That's what you get with "perfect traction". Broken parts!

It's nice to have spares on hand.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#17 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 08:55 AM

That's why I cautioned George with his D4-10 plowing with heavy weighting. The cluster gear in them is their weak link & no parts to be found if you crunch a gear. Wheel slip can be your best friend! That's another reason I love hydro. You are fairly well protected against such failures. So George, when you get that HD-12 redone, go for it with the weights and plow like a mad dog! :smilewink:

#18 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 09:10 AM

The Cub 129 hydro is nice because it has a roll pin in the drive hub that can shear. Mine sheared last year while plowing snow. I think all GTs should have some type of fail safe in the drive train. JMHO

Geno

#19 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 11:21 AM

:bigrofl: :bigrofl:

PS: So where as the gear tranny was locked up and self destructed, from what you have said about hydros, the hydro motor would stop spinning and then the system pressure would go up to the the point where the relief valve popped and it would release pressure and flow until the (startled) operator could bring the travel control to neutral. Right?

Edited by HowardsMF155, April 23, 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#20 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 02:47 PM

Broken2;
Perhaps you should consider using a disc plow like this one:

2 disc Ferguson.jpg

We used what looks like this exact model for a year or two, then added another disc at the back to make it a 3 bottom plow. I can testify, as we were plowing newly cleared ground, that the discs would ride up and over obstructions such as roots and rocks. Bonus was when you heard a tearing "Grunch" and a segment of root would roll into view, impaled on the disc. Most bizarre thing ever seen in conjunction with this plow? We came back around the field, following the furrow, and found a snake sectioned into 3 pieces. I'm guessing he fell into the furrow after the last disc passed but before the adjustment wheel could pass and it sliced him into 3 pieces.

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 03:12 PM

PS: So where as the gear tranny was locked up and self destructed, from what you have said about hydros, the hydro motor would stop spinning and then the system pressure would go up to the the point where the relief valve popped and it would release pressure and flow until the (startled) operator could bring the travel control to neutral. Right?

Your description is "usually" the case, but as with anything, parts can & do break sometimes, even in hydro's.

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Those Peerless 2300's are used in a lot of different tractors and seem to be pretty tough. I think all tractors should have some sort of a dead man switch or other safety arrangement to prevent the tractor running on when the operator is knocked off or for quick shutdown when something like this happens. Sad to loose a transaxle but at least you were prepared with spares.

#23 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Those Peerless 2300's are used in a lot of different tractors and seem to be pretty tough. I think all tractors should have some sort of a dead man switch or other safety arrangement to prevent the tractor running on when the operator is knocked off or for quick shutdown when something like this happens. Sad to loose a transaxle but at least you were prepared with spares.

Brian,
The new ones are required to have what you are talking about and many of the ones sold it the past 15 years or so had them when they left the factory and were either disabled or not repaired when they failed.

. :offtopic: :deadhorse: My personal pet peeve is seeing a municipal or commercial equipment operator mowing grass with the deflector chute wired up or removed.

Bill
  • JDBrian said thank you

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 04:51 AM

Brian,
The new ones are required to have what you are talking about and many of the ones sold it the past 15 years or so had them when they left the factory and were either disabled or not repaired when they failed.

. :offtopic: :deadhorse: My personal pet peeve is seeing a municipal or commercial equipment operator mowing grass with the deflector chute wired up or removed.

Bill

I hear you Bill. It always makes me nervous when theose guys are flying past me at about 10mph on a zero turn mower with the chute pointed in my direction. They also bounce the machines over curbs and fly across gravel driveways and you have to hope the operator remembers to disengage the deck.

#25 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 06:04 AM

Your description is "usually" the case, but as with anything, parts can & do break sometimes, even in hydro's.

The hydro is protected, the rear end is not. A good hydro can produce a lot of torque, given the right circumstances.

That kind of traction is "the right circumstances". I broke the 4 grade 8 bolts holding the final drive together in my 1655 due to "good" traction and high pressure. Never popped the relief either, and I don't think that I had full throttle on. (It won't hold full throttle.)

Wheelspin is the first line of protection for the rear end. A hydro only offers limited secondary protection.

Edited by TUDOR, April 24, 2012 - 06:15 AM.

• IamSherwood and HowardsMF155 have said thanks