broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have a mf12g that I modified to fit 26x12x12 ags on. The tires are loaded and it has 85 lb wheel weights on the inside of each wheel and 55 lb weights on the outside, traction is rarely a problem. Last fall I was using the tractor and a 10" brinly plow to make a trench for a friend. He was running a cable TV line 300+ft. It was going well until we got to a spot that had several tree roots. The tractor was either breaking the roots or tearing them out quite easily and we where almost past the nasty section. Then I hooked a big one, the plow dove under the root and pulled the rear of the tractor down, the front stood up and I, sitting on the tractor kinda sideways couldn't get to the clutch in time. BANG!! I know your surprised right? I wasn't overly surprised either and if I didn't have spare tranaxles and parts I never would have messed with those roots. Don't think these transaxles aren't tough, they are. The tires were not going to spin with all that weight and the plow sucking the rear down like that. Something had to give and it didn't give up easily. In the pictures you can see a needle bearing cup for a gear shaft has been forced completely out. The cup on the other side was also forced out about a 1/4". I suspect that allowed some gears to collide and cause the carnage. I have parts trannys and could repair this one but for now I replaced it with one from a square fender JD112. Tractors sure don't live a life of leisure around my house.

DSC02367.JPG DSC02368.JPG DSC02369.JPG DSC02370.JPG DSC02371.JPG

Edited by broken2, April 22, 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#2 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Wow! You had lot of torque on that transaxle. That had to be one giant root. Glad you had the parts to repair.

Geno

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:38 PM

You really did that one in! Glad you have a spare trans axle that will work! I'm not sure what you do with it but, I wouldn't know what to do with all that extra traction!

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Like you said, something has to give. That had to be one heck of a quick stop to do that.

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Wow, I think you need a BIGGER tractor something like this
Kaylin018.jpg

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Ouch!!! Glad you had a spare. And yes I believe you about your tractors don't live a life of leisure LOL.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Those Peerless 2300 transaxles are built tough. They will take a lot of abuse.

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Good thing you had a spare, that must have been a big jolt when it happened.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:58 PM

I don't think the caps popping out caused it. I think the shear force of the opposing gears just popped the case like a nut, THEN the caps came out.
You got all you could out of that transaxle for sure!

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Glad you had parts to put it back together. Thanks for sharing the pics... Now maybe I can better explain why I asked Ryan to slow down while plowing. He did as I asked, but I'm not sure he believed me when I said stuff could break.

With many transplants, there is the possibility of rejection... are you going to paint it before the operation to reduce the chance of a problem?

#11 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Like you said, something has to give. That had to be one heck of a quick stop to do that.

Good thing you had a spare, that must have been a big jolt when it happened.

It actually was a slow stop. I was in 2nd gear and when it grabbed the root the front end just calmly reared up until it couldn't go any higher, then bang. If I was sitting on the tractor properly I probably would have had time to get to the clutch and save it. It's hard to re-adjust your seating position when the front end is 3ft off the ground!

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Glad you had parts to put it back together. Thanks for sharing the pics... Now maybe I can better explain why I asked Ryan to slow down while plowing. He did as I asked, but I'm not sure he believed me when I said stuff could break.

With many transplants, there is the possibility of rejection... are you going to paint it before the operation to reduce the chance of a problem?

I laughed at you last line there, Heck I'm still laughing :laughingteeth:
  • MH81 said thank you

#13 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Glad I could set an example for your son! I put the axle housings from the original tranny on it, so you can't see any green paint unless you look under it. I had put new seals in them when I replaced the axle I broke last time (yes, I have broken it before, and no, I didn't learn my lesson).
  • MH81 said thank you

#14 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:24 PM

I don't think the caps popping out caused it. I think the shear force of the opposing gears just popped the case like a nut, THEN the caps came out.
You got all you could out of that transaxle for sure!

They very well may have come out afterwards, possibly when I drove it back on the trailer or backed it into the garage! That's right, the tractor still drove with that trans in it!! I thought I had just lost a tooth or two from a gear until I was putting the ramps up on the trailer and noticed the gear oil on the trailer bed. It sounded more disturbing than a feminist but it did drive.

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Wow!! That is some FORCE! Almost makes you wish there was a shear pin in there somewhere.